PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Smell a Rat?

selaw
20-04-2011, 9:34pm
I have been wathching an EF 135 f/2L on eBay. 3 day listing, about 15hrs left, 0 bids yet, starting at $650.00. Looks ok & reads ok. Have one of these on the wishlist albeit a little ways down the line. Very tempting though, given the cost of a new one, if next to no bids at ending. What to do? Stick to the guns & plan or take the plunge on a bargain? :confused013

ricktas
20-04-2011, 9:43pm
what is the members history like, new ebay member? Low activity, and thus low feedback? All things to consider when deciding to bid on ebay

Bear Dale
20-04-2011, 9:49pm
The postage is expensive as a prepaid 3kg satchel is $12.80

It will go for more than $650.00 you can bet on that.

selaw
20-04-2011, 9:49pm
Good points Rick...feedback is 228 at 100% positive.

His description suggests nothing untoward & reads:

Specification

Focal length 135mm
Aperture f/2.0
Angle of view
Filter size / type 72mm
Construction Elements/groups 10 elements in 8 groups
Focusing type Internal
Closest focus 0.9m
Weight 0.750kg
Dimensions (Dia x length) 82.5x112mm
Mounts available Canon,
Tripod bush No

Build and handling

As with all of Canons L series lenses, this one is built for professional use and will stand a fair bit of miss handling. The simple design of the prime lens helps with the single focus ring and a pair of small switches for AF/MF and focus limit being the only moving parts on the lens, a standard distance window, with a basic depth-of-field scale being the only other accoutrement.

The focus limit switch restricts focusing to 1.6m to infinity from the full 0.9m to infinity and cuts down the short focus time even more. It also helps if you are not doing any close work or are trying to shoot through a fence or the like. The USM motor keeps things nice and quiet as well as quick. Internal operation means the front element does not rotate, another plus point.

The focus ring doesn’t rotate during autofocus either, but can be manually over-ridden without switching. So generally, it is a very usable lens. The focal length is at the long end of what is normally recommended for portraiture and with the perspective it gives, this still holds true in the cropped digital age. The wide aperture does mean that this lens can be used in low lighting conditions where others might well struggle. This includes indoor sports in confined conditions as well as Gig and stage photography.

Optical Quality
L glass from the Canon camp is legendary in its reputation for producing the goods and this example is no black sheep. The simpler construction of prime lenses does make high quality easier to obtain, but even so, this is a top quality piece of glass in all respects.

Contrast, as is usual, is good and the control of chromatic aberrations is well handled. Sharpness wide open is certainly usable and improves as the lens is stopped down, peaking at around the f/8 mark.

Where this lens does score is in the out-of-focus areas, giving a pleasing effect that helps the main subject stand out.

I am reluctantly selling this beautiful lens as I rarely use it.

PH005
20-04-2011, 9:56pm
Feedback seems to indicate that " smell of rat, maybe just backed up toilet " :D

selaw
20-04-2011, 10:03pm
Feedback seems to indicate that " smell of rat, maybe just backed up toilet " :D

:th3: I guess you're right, suppose the bidding will erupt closer to ending.

Derek-C
21-04-2011, 4:28pm
Roy ,I recently brought a 50-500 Sigma on E bay.

$799-95 and as I was the only bidder that is what I paid. It is like new and the son in law is very happy with it.

Take a punt ?

Derek

mikew09
21-04-2011, 4:41pm
In my experience, the bidding war always starts in the last couple of hrs. I like many am just a watcher until the last 30mins or so.

Ms Monny
21-04-2011, 5:42pm
I can guarantee that there will be big biddings near the end and right up till the last second....many times I am nearly jumping out my skin because there is me and another person bidding through the last seconds....my hubby than says 'blow them out the water' and I make a bid that is sooo different to my usual pattern (i.e. normally lots of $5 bids and then I do a $25 bid) that it takes the other person many precious seconds to work out that I wasn't going up in $5 lots!! :D That has worked many times BUT thats when I really really want the item and feel it is a bargain!!

Good luck :th3:

selaw
22-04-2011, 8:58am
I can guarantee that there will be big biddings near the end and right up till the last second....many times I am nearly jumping out my skin because there is me and another person bidding through the last seconds....my hubby than says 'blow them out the water' and I make a bid that is sooo different to my usual pattern (i.e. normally lots of $5 bids and then I do a $25 bid) that it takes the other person many precious seconds to work out that I wasn't going up in $5 lots!! :D That has worked many times BUT thats when I really really want the item and feel it is a bargain!!

Good luck :th3:

You were right, it did start climbing in the last hour and I was caught up with work so didn't get back to have a stab in the last minute. Went for $810.00 :eek: Oh well, I still have my money & I still have Plan A :D

Ms Monny
22-04-2011, 9:55am
:th3: glad to hear you aren't too upset and there is always another plan or another lens down the line!! I am sure that there are loads of people that just sit on ebay and grab all the 'nearly finishing' items just for the hell of it!! LOL.

virgal_tracy
22-04-2011, 10:29am
Like many, I have found that snipe programs are extremely useful. Set the price you want to pay, when you want to make the bid (eg 3secs from the end) and walk away and let the program do it's job. You don't get caught up in a bidding war and only spend what you want to.

selaw
22-04-2011, 11:50am
:th3: glad to hear you aren't too upset and there is always another plan or another lens down the line!! I am sure that there are loads of people that just sit on ebay and grab all the 'nearly finishing' items just for the hell of it!! LOL.

:th3: :)

Brian500au
22-04-2011, 6:17pm
With items like this I use www.gixen.com - I set a price and walk away. I ALWAYS pay via paypal as they have saved my ar$e in the past.

fabian628
22-04-2011, 7:41pm
I have been wathching an EF 135 f/2L on eBay. 3 day listing, about 15hrs left, 0 bids yet, starting at $650.00. Looks ok & reads ok. Have one of these on the wishlist albeit a little ways down the line. Very tempting though, given the cost of a new one, if next to no bids at ending. What to do? Stick to the guns & plan or take the plunge on a bargain? :confused013

3 day listing is a bit strange, you usually get a bit longer listings, but then photo equiptment, particularily L lenses get alot of views so you would still get a decent price even with a short listing.
I would send a message t seller confirming the lens works etc.
But $810 is a pretty good price for a 135L. I see them usualy going for 850+

davearnold
23-04-2011, 5:32pm
Agree with previous comment re using snipe programs, set it up for max you want to pay, and forget about it, so you are not tempted into a bidding war and pay more then you wanted to.

I use "justsnipe" bids for me at 8 seconds to go.

selaw
23-04-2011, 5:35pm
Hmm, some good food for thought there. Thanks for the tips :th3: