PDA

View Full Version : HELP please with tipod head - URGENT

dbose
20-04-2011, 3:16pm
Hi All

I desperately need to buy a new head - I currently have the 496RC2 Manfrotto which is ok as a basic Ball head (my preference). It however doesn't have a separate knob for panning and makes it very hard to take pano shots on the tripod. I have Nikon D90 but will be upgrading to D700 so need something which can hold at least 6+kg.

I am looking into the 498RC2 which will do horizontal pano (has separate lever with angles marked); however it does not do vertical pano (don't think any ball heads will have this). So looked at the 808RC4 which is a 3 way pano and tilt head (a bot more expensive than the 498RC4 (above 200 AUD).

Can you please recommend which way I go?

1. Will the 498RC2 be suitable - it can do a horizontal pano but for verticals I have to be extra careful to tilt it in a straight line.
2. Do I go with 808RC4 although it's not a ball head which I prefer?
3. Anything else to consider?

brownie
20-04-2011, 6:33pm
I purchased a 498RC2 for my 055X tripod/D90 combo and the first thing I noticed was that panning was dead simple and smooth but using the ball head for vertical and roll alignment took a bit more time to setup and can be fiddley, which I’m sure you have already experienced with your 496.

The Pan/Tilt head has the advantage of being able to control rotation in any singe axis at a time which should give you greater precision in your camera alignment in all axes. For that convenience the Pan/Tilt head is larger (bits jutting out), heavier and only slightly more expensive.

If you’re only panning and you prefer the compactness of a ball head then I would think the 498 would be perfectly adequate. Both are rated to 8KG.

Another thing to consider is plate compatibility if you are going to continue to use the 496 on another tri/mono pod.

ncbuxton
21-04-2011, 4:15pm
We have an 804RC2 that works well with the D700. The main head is a 468mgrc2 that works very well with heavy lenses but takes a short while to get used to.

MajorPanic
22-04-2011, 6:57pm
Really Right Stuff BH-55.... beautifully made!!

http://reallyrightstuff.com/mmRRSNET/Images/gallery/BH55LR-02.png