PDA

View Full Version : Turning Off VR on a Tripod

beethoven1414
20-04-2011, 10:08am
Not sure if this is the right level of forum, but as I have Nikon lenses with VR, I'll ask it here. I was reading a photo magazine the other day in relation to shooting with a tripod. A one line statement caught my attention that said the VR (Vibration Reduction) option should be turned off of you are using a tripod otherwise this could cause problems. The thing is the article did not state what the problems might be.

So, I ask the question - Why would using VR on a tripod cause a problem? Surely, the lens could only be more stable, or does the poor little thing get in a tiz because its got nothing to do?

I have been leaving VR turned on whether hand holding or tripod mounting. Could this be a problem if my tripod shots are not as clear as expected?

Cheers,
Steve.

ElectricImages
20-04-2011, 10:12am
I've heard that the VR algorithms can get confused if your camera is already being held perfectly still. So they actually move optics around trying to compensate for shake that isn't there! This actually degrades the image quality of your shots - yes, it can result in *less* sharp images.

Just what I've heard though - not sure how accurate it is. :)

bazbert
20-04-2011, 10:16am
Hey mate I'm quite new to this so hopefully somebody will correct me if I'm wrong but I read in a photography mag a couple of weeks ago, that the VR when used on a tripod can make very slight vibrations because it has nothing to do. And then that's gunna make your images not as sharp as they possibly could be.

Ps I hope this makes a little sense I'm in a bit of a rush packing for camping haha. Hope it helps!!!

dbax
20-04-2011, 10:51am
Yep thats the general idea, with the VR (IS on Canon) turned on, when on a tripod, the VR will search for movement, hence it should be turned off.
Also note that some lenses/camers can be set up so as to only turn on or off vertical or horizontal movement for situations such a panning in which case you would turn off horizontal movement and turn on vertical movement control.

beethoven1414
20-04-2011, 11:05am
Thanks, Guys.

I will now go forth and and one more item to the list of things to do when taking a photo on a tripod. Hopefully I can post some worthy pics after applying this technique from now on:th3:

JM Tran
20-04-2011, 11:06am
I have only noticed this when I was using Pentax bodies with SR - since the sensor moves to compensate, it can be slightly distinguishable during long exposures, but with Canons IS, since its in-lens the behaviour was not noticeable on tripod for me.

Kym
20-04-2011, 11:42am
Some newer VR/IS lenses are tripod aware. RTFM (lens manual)!

beethoven1414
20-04-2011, 12:45pm
Just read the manual download for 18-55mm VR lens. Follow is extract for all who haven't done what I should have done when first unpacking the lens (Thanks, Kym)

When the camera is mounted on a tripod, set the
vibration reduction ON/OFF switch to [OFF].
However, set the switch to [ON] when using a tripod
without securing the tripod head, or when using a
monopod.

RTFM is alive and well!
Cheers