PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone develop / print colour at home?

fabian628
19-04-2011, 6:00pm
I am wondering if anyone develops colour negative or slide at home?
How hard is the process (i have looked at the e6 process, it looks very complicated :eek: )but the c-41 does not seem so complex.
I think i could easily obtain a water bath, but am unsure how easy it is to get your hands on the nessecary chemicals?

If anyone has any experiece/ advice that would be much appreciated.

doigal
20-04-2011, 3:11pm
I have been doing it in a small scale for about 2 years now, develop only, c41 and e6. If you can do bw, and can get a big bucket and a thermometer that's accurate enough, you'll be ok.

IMO a background in BW developing is almost essential, as it's good practice and fairly hard to screw up. Colour is just more steps at a higher temp. Try vanbar for the chems.

vanngirl
20-04-2011, 11:12pm
I've only done e6 at my college. I don't think it's complicated, but it's a big set up. Compared to b&w developing, which is pretty simple and cost effective, I think it's cheaper to have them done.

fabian628
20-04-2011, 11:58pm
thanks for the replies.
Had a look at the vanbar, 12 roll kit for $50, more realsitically 10 rolls for the first try. This looks not too bad. However, I am not sure how many 120 rolls you could get out of this as the 120 is quite a large area.

I think e6 is probably cheaper and simpler done at the shop, but I would be quite interested in colour neg processing.

Does anyone know any good photo shops sydney-ish area that may sell similar developing kits? I think the local shop here only deals in b&w.

vanngirl
21-04-2011, 4:47pm
you could try a photography school for buying chems.