PDA

View Full Version : Thinking SS Dicky for a Sunrise...

dbose
19-04-2011, 10:52am
OK after a great success and meet-up at Currumbin, I'd like to organise another one - this time a little further away - SS Dicky near Caloundra. I am thinking early May as we will have time to revive after Easter etc. Sundays are good for me always.

Let's aim for the 15th of May depending on how many can attend and of-course the weather. Happy to change dates as long a it is on a Sunday. Someone told me that in order to secure a good spot at the Dicky it's better to start real early like 3/3:30 AM but haven't tested that out - Sunrise will be after 6:19AM

terry.langham
19-04-2011, 12:34pm
I would be up for this. I would probably suggest a change in venue though. Perhaps somewhere with more then the one subject would suit a group meetup better. Pt Cartwright isn't much further and there is lots to photograph there, that would be my suggestion.

ctorry
19-04-2011, 1:01pm
I would be up for this.

I agree with terry.langham Pt Cartwright is a great location and not much further.

davearnold
19-04-2011, 1:12pm
I like SS Dicky, been there before but would happily do it again.

William
19-04-2011, 1:24pm
I'm after "SS Dicky" Seeing it seems like I'm the only one who has'nt had a shoot there yet :( If I drive from the Gold Coast I'll leave on Saturday and have a sleep over , Someone mentioned there is a Caravan/Camping site next to the beach , Anybody got the name of it so I can book a spot if needed ? A BBQ and Party sounds good for the night before :D If your game :rolleyes: :th3:

Paul G
19-04-2011, 2:23pm
Registering interest in this. I've been there heaps but haven't shot there either William so you're not alone.

Might bring the boys up with me and make a weekend of it. The caravan park is right by the beach but I can't recall the name. We got a house for the weekend last time we were there (with another friend and her daughter) and I think it worked out cheaper than the van park.

William
19-04-2011, 3:01pm
Registering interest in this. I've been there heaps but haven't shot there either William so you're not alone.

Might bring the boys up with me and make a weekend of it. The caravan park is right by the beach but I can't recall the name. We got a house for the weekend last time we were there (with another friend and her daughter) and I think it worked out cheaper than the van park.

We'll work on that Paul , I have a son that will turn 14 on the 18th of May , Might see if he wants to come along as well then , I'll do some Googling on that Camping site , Will get back later on this thread - Bill

HappySnap
19-04-2011, 3:14pm
Mark me down as interested for this one too. It's beautiful up there!

terry.langham
19-04-2011, 3:14pm
Maybe a breaky BBQ between the two spots might be an idea. I am happy to go to Pt Cartwright and leave the Dicky for those traveling from further afield to get better results without other photographers in the frame.

dbose
19-04-2011, 3:48pm
Maybe a breaky BBQ between the two spots might be an idea. I am happy to go to Pt Cartwright and leave the Dicky for those traveling from further afield to get better results without other photographers in the frame.

Terry - I have been to point Cartwright before but never been to SS Dicky. Hence I started this thread for those who are interested for the SS Dicky beach not so much for Point Cartwright. B'fast can be organised anywhere but the main purpose of the meet-up is shooting at dawn at SS Dicky. Maybe a new thread for Point Cartwright at a different date would be good so that we can all attend that one too. ;)

William
19-04-2011, 4:16pm

Terry ! How far is it between the two spots , "Dicky" and Pt Cartwright" ? - Bill :) PS : Yes the Main idea from DJ was to do up "Dicky":D

Bchip
19-04-2011, 4:20pm
I might be up for this...but I'll leave the camera in the car. The Dicky is a hard place to shoot with a lot of people around.

terry.langham
19-04-2011, 4:32pm
Terry ! How far is it between the two spots , "Dicky" and Pt Cartwright" ? - Bill :) PS : Yes the Main idea from DJ was to do up "Dicky":D

20mins according to Google maps.

My concern is that you guys that haven't done up Dicky and are traveling a long way get a good opportunity to take quality photos away with you. As you can see in the photos accompanying this (http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/2009/06/03/ss-dicky-safe-now/) article there isn't much to it and if you get too many togs around, it will get a bit tricky. An alternate spot for those of us more local to Caloundra or have shot it before, and a meet up point after sunrise may be an advantage to you.

larrywen
19-04-2011, 4:53pm
Registering interest in this. Haven't been there before. It will be an interesting meeting.

in2fx
19-04-2011, 5:44pm
I have not been to either of those locations so keen to try both..... is there a rewind button ? :D

Allann
19-04-2011, 7:31pm
Hi, just thought I'd stick my head in here and let you know that on the 15th it's a high tide at sunrise, the dicky looks best at low tide, but don't let me stop anyone from going. Low tide is at 11:55pm, so a night time shootwould yield better results. Maybe a few stars and the wreck??

William
19-04-2011, 7:42pm
Hi, just thought I'd stick my head in here and let you know that on the 15th it's a high tide at sunrise, the dicky looks best at low tide, but don't let me stop anyone from going. Low tide is at 11:55pm, so a night time shootwould yield better results. Maybe a few stars and the wreck??

Hmmmm !! Worth a thought Allann, Be nice to have a full moon also , :Doh: Allann, Can you get the Water Movement around the Wreck on high tide if you timed it right, Or is it under water ?

Allann
19-04-2011, 8:52pm
This is not my image as i haven't taken any at high tide, but the link is http://flic.kr/p/4yaWRd, another at not so high http://flic.kr/p/8QHJ5d, so you may come away with something special. But for those thinking of going up the night before, don't sleep all night, go out and spend some time getting to know the old girl and try your hand at light painting and long exposures.
Full moon is on the 17th hence the high tide, so on a clear night it will be lit up very nicely. This is one I took at 10:30pm using mainly moonlight (the hard shadow) and a little fill light from a torch.
http://www.allannielsenphotography.com/Landscapes/Seascapes/Dicky-Beach/MG8066/698777349_skqdQ-XL.jpg

This one was taken at "half" tide and I think it works ok.
http://www.allannielsenphotography.com/Landscapes/Seascapes/Dicky-Beach/MG3104HDR/1164981462_tzhKT-L.jpg

William
20-04-2011, 7:57am
Thanks for the info Allann :th3: Great night shot BTW :)

Allann
20-04-2011, 8:50am
Thanks for the info Allann :th3: Great night shot BTW :)

No probs. It's a great place to visit and so many opportunities for shots. Remember, the wreck isn't the only thing to photograph there. Have a look at my Dicky Beach gallery (http://www.allannielsenphotography.com/Landscapes/Seascapes/Dicky-Beach/10157518_2YY6a), only about half the shots are of the wreck for ideas, or better still, come home with something totally unique.

Dwarak
20-04-2011, 11:51am
Never been there I am in for this........

SeanKellyAus
20-04-2011, 12:24pm
I would be keen to head along to this one.

No probs. It's a great place to visit and so many opportunities for shots. Remember, the wreck isn't the only thing to photograph there. Have a look at my Dicky Beach gallery (http://www.allannielsenphotography.com/Landscapes/Seascapes/Dicky-Beach/10157518_2YY6a), only about half the shots are of the wreck for ideas, or better still, come home with something totally unique.

Wow Allan, the images in your gallery are fantastic!

dbose
20-04-2011, 2:47pm
Good interest so far - I'd like to go there the night before with family and do some night shots and then at Sunrise. If it proves to be a bad date due to high tides etc. I am happy to use a different date (one Sunday before or after) - I really wanted to hit the spot and happy to work on the best date and availability.

whytebate
20-04-2011, 8:57pm
I've never managed to get to Pt Cartwright or the SS Dicky, so I am up for either (or both). Pretty flexible for weekends in May.

larrywen
21-04-2011, 9:13am
I've never managed to get to Pt Cartwright or the SS Dicky, so I am up for either (or both). Pretty flexible for weekends in May.

Hi sarah,

I just checked your gallery in your website. It is great.

Coriena
23-04-2011, 6:15pm
I'm interested, will keep an eye on the thread :)

kadon
23-04-2011, 8:10pm
I'm interested - haven't really done full on night shot before so that would be an interesting challenge for me, if we went up the night before....lol

[ kane ]
24-04-2011, 5:34pm

I might be able to make this one.

SS Dicky is fine on a high tide..... just watch as the waves roll in.

Getting there and setting up EARLY is the key here, keep the sand pure and you cant go wrong.

Thanks
Kane

David
26-04-2011, 10:45pm
It would be worth a sleep over guys to go there. Dicky Beach is dicky. I mean its great but you need to be flexible and ready for it. The caravan park right there is good to stay at. You can do Pt Cartwriight the first morning, have some breakfast somewhere, book into the caravan park, go to Buderim Waterfall at Buderim or Kondallilla Falls up in the Montville hills during the day .head back to Kings Beach or whatever for the sunset shots across to the Glasshouse Mountains, take in fish n chips near the Caravan Park for dinner then a few beers etc and camera talk before heading off to bed to get up at 4am to set up for Dicky Beach on the second morning. There are also some good touristy shopping and coffee shops and bakeries at Montville and down the road abit at Maleny they have a wicked bakery and coffee shops and art/craft shops for the ladies. ..SO WISH I could come on this weekender .. I love that area.....If you are into star trails you could go to the road where the entrance into Mary Caincross Park is and do a nice Startrail shoot aiming in the right direction but watch out for the cows and keep off the road....it gets busy along there after 10.00 when the pubs close around the area. Have fun....some of us had some fun with light painting on the SS Dicky at night too one time we were down there....there is also a dam along the road to Montville that would be a good site for star trails too. .haven't tried it there yet and forgotten what is is called.

dieselpower
27-04-2011, 6:50am
The Caravan Park at Dicky Beach is called 'Dicky Beach Family Holiday Park' in case you haven't been able to find it.

The proposed weekend is also the weekend of the Australian Rally Championship Qld round. The day stages are up in the state forest and the night Super Specials are at the Caloundra Showgrounds.

I'd love to come to the meet but sadly I don't know that I'll be able to make it, got a stack of guys coming for the rally and they may not appreciate a 4am start for a photoshoot quite as much as I would!

ril14ey
27-04-2011, 12:53pm
Im also interested and i should be in the area (for the Body art festival at Eumundi)
Would be keen to try night photography or a sunrise, dependant on where we stay for that weekend

Debom
28-04-2011, 1:21pm
I am keen but would probably have to make the trek in the early hours of the morning, I will keep an eye on the posts as it gets closer to the date...:)

ATP
28-04-2011, 4:29pm
I'm in for the 15th or the weekend after - have a work team triathalon on the Gold Coast the weekend before! :)

locorr
29-04-2011, 12:09am
Sounds good to me . It will be my first meet from this forum. I'm only 20 minutes away at that time.

Dwarak
29-04-2011, 11:10am
I think I will check in to the caravan park at Dicky beach on the 15th night will do some night shots long exposure stuff or if the conditions are good some startrails or time lapse I am into that sort of stuff now if anyone is interested pm me.

dbose
30-04-2011, 10:34pm
I think I will check in to the caravan park at Dicky beach on the 15th night will do some night shots long exposure stuff or if the conditions are good some startrails or time lapse I am into that sort of stuff now if anyone is interested pm me.

The caravan park is booked out that weekend - damn. I am looking at the appartment opposite - it's called Portabello...:)

ksolomon
01-05-2011, 12:54pm
Been watching this thread with lot of interest, I don't think I can do the 15th but if I can I will be in. If it was the following weekend I would be in for sure :)

whytebate
02-05-2011, 7:57pm
Likewise. I'm out for the 14th/15th weekend - if the date changes, please let us know! I look forward to seeing everyone's images.

dbose
05-05-2011, 3:13pm
Just getting this thread a bit warm - it's sort of got a bit cold. I am still up for the meet up on the 15th. I'll be staying overnight from the 14th - want to try some night shots of the wreck if I can. Still have not booked a place to stay but should get something for the night.

We'll meet along Elizabeth street and Beerburrum Street opposite the 'Portobello' around 5AM (I'll hopefully be there way before though :))

41jas
05-05-2011, 3:21pm
I can't make that weekend. Have fun everyone.

Dwarak
05-05-2011, 4:24pm
I will not be able to stay there on 14th but will def. make it around 5 I live around 80 kms away so will be an early start for me will be at the wreak. I intend to get there as early as possible

dbose
05-05-2011, 4:47pm
I can't make that weekend. Have fun everyone.

Oh will miss you Jules (again:())

Definitely look forward to seeing you next time (hopefully soon :))

Debom
10-05-2011, 1:59pm
I wont be able to make it to this one either... hopefully the next one!

Jacs14
10-05-2011, 9:10pm
I could be up for this, is it definately the 15th???

dbose
10-05-2011, 9:56pm
I could be up for this, is it definately the 15th???

Yep - definitely Sunday the 15th. I'll be there the night before with my family. So I'll hopefully be at the beach early (like 3:30AM) and will meet whoever turns up at 5AM. Hope to see you there...:):)

Dwarak
10-05-2011, 10:28pm
Yes I will def make it this time around..............maybe get some coffee after the shoot will be nice.......

dbose
13-05-2011, 10:17am
Hi Guys and gals - there's been a large number of responses to this thread; however I'm unsure as to who's exactly turning up other than a few who have confirmed so far. I am all set - booked a place to sleep on Saturday night and hope to be up early (by 3:30AM) and be at the spot taking some night shots. I'll meet who ever turns up at 5AM along Elizabeth street and Beerburrum Street opposite the 'Portobello'.

Sunrise is at 6:19 AM and first light at 5:26AM. It looks like it'll be a clear day so fingers crossed ;)

See you all there :):):)

ksolomon
13-05-2011, 11:56am
I am not able to come I have other commitments this weekend. I will be looking forward to all the photos from the weekend. To those staying over enjoy a glass of wine for me, wish I was there :D
Kassy

Dwarak
13-05-2011, 12:53pm
I am planning on some night shots as well so will try to be there around 3:30 or earlier as well so see you there.

Dwarak
13-05-2011, 2:48pm
Low tide is 12:00 pm on the 14th this gives us a good opportunity to take some night shots high tide is at 5:47 am just before sunrise. That's plenty of time for some nice night photography will try and get there early.

dbose
14-05-2011, 9:28pm
Low tide is 12:00 pm on the 14th this gives us a good opportunity to take some night shots high tide is at 5:47 am just before sunrise. That's plenty of time for some nice night photography will try and get there early.

I checked out the place at 6PM and it was high tide. I'll go back at 3/3:30AM - should be good for some night shots. Pity it'll be high tide at sunrise but will see...

in2fx
16-05-2011, 4:49pm
How did your photos turn out DJ ?

davearnold
17-05-2011, 9:12pm
Also wondering how the photos from the people who went, turned out??

Jacs14
18-05-2011, 9:51am
Also wondering how the photos from the people who went, turned out??

Didn't post mine here David cos I didn't get what I went up for :rolleyes: think Mother Nature was feeling hormonal Saturday night!! got there for 1am for star trails with the wreck ~ moon too high and bright :action:, moon sets ~ and huge cloud cover :angry0: get a break in the clouds and :Doh: tide too high for star trails with the wreck :violent10: as I was full of cold, didn't bother hanging around for the sunrise and from what I heard MN was still not playing nice :rolleyes::cool::rolleyes:... did come away with a couple of shots that are on flickr, but will have to return as I still want to try and get star trails with the wreck

in2fx
18-05-2011, 6:57pm
I'm happy to return for another attempt at it with you Jacs, because I found it an interesting experience and I think I have a better idea of what to do there next time.

My View of SS Dicky (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?84405-SS-Dicky-at-night&p=845066#post845066)

dbose
20-05-2011, 10:28am
We did post some shots of the dicky (even with the bad conditions in 'Land and sea scape's'. There were a number of us until about 4:30 and then most people left - it was just Dwarak and I plus a few others all not from AP though that stayed behind for some sort of sunrise.

Some of mine are here - but there are others as well in the 'Land and Sea Scape's' section...

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?84322-Dicky-Beach-Pano

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?84381-More-SS-Dicky

Kuzzie
20-05-2011, 4:39pm
OK Guys, so when is the next one?????

in2fx
20-05-2011, 8:22pm

when would you like to go there ? :)

Jacs14
21-05-2011, 1:47pm

I'm am playing with the idea atm of maybe next weekend, meant to be working Sunday morning, but if I can swap it will be looking at Saturday night for star trails again, otherwise maybe do the Friday if I can't swap.
Will depend on weather, getting a clear night and trying to get the tide right too.
Will let you know, chances are it could be last minute thing.

Jacs

in2fx
22-05-2011, 11:07am
I'm am playing with the idea atm of maybe next weekend, meant to be working Sunday morning, but if I can swap it will be looking at Saturday night for star trails again, otherwise maybe do the Friday if I can't swap.
Will depend on weather, getting a clear night and trying to get the tide right too.
Will let you know, chances are it could be last minute thing.

Jacs

I hope My invite doesn't get lost in the mail ;)

Kuzzie
23-05-2011, 4:51pm
Don't go without me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D