PDA

View Full Version : Paul C Buff aka Alien Bee light mod product question

mal from cessnock
18-04-2011, 2:16pm
Hey board members

I have three ABs and I wanna ask a question about their mods. (Theirs since it the logical choice due to fitting compatibility.)

I need a softbox or 2 for single full length portraits in my lounge room studio - what do you recommend?

I've heard/read the PLM with the white diffuser is good and makes an adequate softbox. Do you agree with this? (Why PLMs, well I'm buying a couple for another project - my annual Football Club group pics and won't buy other mods if they will also cut it for these full length portraits)

Or, would their Giant Softbox or Octabox be better? Then out of these two what would your preference be?

SRR33
21-04-2011, 11:47am
I would get the octabox and the PLM together. Its what I use and I find the lighting that comes out of it is beautiful.

The octabox gives a more wrap around the subject and I like the catch lights that come out of it.

To be honest the only place you are going to get a good comparison between these softboxes is on POTN forums: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=965214

There is wealth of information on alien bee products in that thread the orignal thread created years back.
Its good to see sample pics from people also.

Most of them use the PLM outdoors and octabox and strip boxes for studio.

Check out that link mate.

mal from cessnock
21-04-2011, 12:18pm
Thanks for that SRR33 - I'll check it out - and check out your website while I'm at it!

mal from cessnock
21-04-2011, 2:44pm
You're photographs are marvelous Sidd, you're an accomplished photographer - but, you don't get enough visitors. Very frustrating when you put so much effort into something and get so few lookers. I looked through your slides and had a lovely time. Thanks for that!

Judging by your images tho, you're getting quite a lot of work. Your model work and weddings are fantastic - I love those babies too!

mal from cessnock
21-04-2011, 7:42pm
Sidd, is your website also ProPhoto or only your blog - I watched their vid and am impressed. Am I right in assuming there is no coding, just uploading new photographs to a predetermined design.
I've coded my own for years, but found the constant preparing new pages for new images a real pain, so I got a SmugMug - but I prefer the style of ProPhoto.
Is it a one off fee and then recurring annual charges for hosting and name rego? Or do they also work on a recurring basis?
BTW I voted on every photo and only the "baby trying to eat her own toes" scored a 5 - but you're relying on the fickle voting public whose bias's weigh their vote - like, "it's my car, I'll give that 5 stars!"
BTW2 I found a few typos on your wedding package pages (my bad, I shouldn't have said)

SRR33
29-04-2011, 4:21pm
Hi mate,

Sorry about the late reply. Been very busy with work and havnt had the time to log on and check posts.

Thank you so much for the kind words and the lovely comments on the website. I think i replied to your email address btw. Did you get that email?

The blog is prophoto and cost 199 I think. I was using a basic template before hand from wordpress but prophoto is one step better. I highly recommened it. Indeed no coding involved. The back end is very easy to use and edit!!

Im actually in the process od re-doing my main website (not the blog). The current structure on my website is crap and needs a whole new fresh look. So hopefully in a months time it should be all done :)

What are the typos? Thanks for letting me know. Will double check the page again.

Whats your website??

Btw how did you go with the thread on POTN forums? Did anyone help you out?