PDA

View Full Version : Lightroom 3 64 bit crashing issue

Kylamie
15-04-2011, 3:29pm
Hi All
I seem to not be having much luck with lightroom 3, it keeps crashing on me and saying i have a runtime error. So i have to go back and reinstall it.
Is anyone else experiencing this and if so, how did you fix it?

Gemini2261
15-04-2011, 3:53pm
Mine takes FOREVER to load pic's (LR 3.3) locks up & takes ages at times to make changes to the pic :confused013

arthurking83
16-04-2011, 10:50am
more info is needed.

PC type and hardware(Mac, Windows??) info would be helpful.
While I've never had a runtime error, I have similar issues to Gemini where it takes a long time to load up and then load (new) images, more so than already catalogued images, for me.
My favoured software is Nikon's CaptureNX2 and ViewNX2(for my Nikon raw files), and many people are adamant that LR is faster to load and display raw files than either of these two Nikon programs! Well!!! I simply don't see this effect on my PC, and in fact see that LR takes at least twice as long as either Nikon software, when it's running quickly.. and the difference is incalculable when LR is running in 'slow mode'.
Slow mode for LR is when I have been transferring data from my PDA to the PC via bluetooth, where the PDA comes up as a networked device on the PC as well as a separate drive on the PC(in Windows Explorer), so what happens when I open LR AND the PDA is still connected via bluetooth, is that LR also wants to connect to the PDA. I'd rather that it didn't, and I have to disconnect the PDA before I open LR. If I don't LR will ruin in this slow mode which is simply that it's trying to search all the images on this PDA(and therefore on the SF and SD cards in the PDA. Those connections are going to be massively slow, and there is no way that I can see to tell LR to ignore the PDA as a device or source for images.
(note I have 8Gig's worth of images on the CF card which have nothing to do with photography. They are vital for me to run my GPS/Mapping software on the PDA.. so this is something that LR/Adobe need to address and allow for configuration).

Moral of the story: The slowness of LR may be a product of your PC or any network configuration you have. eg. if you have a NAS type storage system, or a shared folder on a laptop that is connected wirelessly(to the PC running LR) .. something like that could be causing LR to run glacially.
Personally I don't use it that much. I initially downloaded the trial version to view some Pentax D645 images, and thought it wasn't too bad as a program, and that the noise reduction tool looked OK. I then purchased it based on a (silly) assumption that I may end up using it more often than not.. but of course found that it took more work to use than my preferred software.

FWIW: ViewNX2 opens and is ready to use in about a second or two, and all image types load immediately. I can scroll through over 400 raw files seamlessly and effortlessly with no slowdowns in the PC(the PC is quite fast and modern, but not top of the range). LR by comparison is sluggish. Takes at least 10seconds for the program to start displaying(where the partially drawn window is beginning to form), then it needs another 20sec or so to be ready to use from partially drawn window to the Develop module), and edit an image.
If I add the bluetooth connection to the PDA into the mix, LR is completely unusable. Can take upwards of 10 mins or more to make it useful, and that may only be to get it to a point where I can shut it down. It seems as tho it's crashed, but it does eventually recover. I did this once where I walked away and made dinner, came back and found LR now 'working', and the PDA listed as a source for images in the library(which I then tried to remove, but couldn't). This is how I found the PDA/bluetooth issue.
So for me, while LR is not the quickest program I have on my PC, my issues with LR are due to it trying to connect to a device I really don't want it too. I have to remember to disconnect the bluetooth connection to the PDA if I ever use LR.

It has crashed on me a few times too, but nothing consistent to report as a bug.(but then again ViewNX2 once crashed on me as well).

YWURRI
08-05-2011, 5:01pm
I find that it crashes when I have the PDA plugged in as well. Very rarely does it otherwise.

In saying that watch it jinx me now I've said that :D

Has an update fixed it??

13ulletz
16-05-2011, 1:38pm
I cant comment on the runtime issue however i think it may be the windows install (if its windows..)

The time to import images into LR is probably due to the amount of memory and cpu as it needs to process and catalogue each image and folder structure. The speed of the hdd can also contribute to the time of loading LR and images.
My pc is fine when importing over 220gb worth of images into LR.

The time it takes when making an edit is most likely due to cpu load.
I have a 3.4gh quad core cpu and LR makes the cpu ramp up to 95-100% when adding and editing a gradient.