PDA

View Full Version : Downsizing images for the web, but retaining good quality

Bennymiata
13-04-2011, 5:10pm
I've noticed that while most of my images look great in full resolution, when I convert them for use on e-mails or the web, they lose a lot of clarity and that 3D look I see when in full res.
I currently use Photoshop Elements, and do what I need to in RAW format, then covert to jpeg and use the "Save for the Web" feature.
Looking at other photos in this forum, the quality of some of the low-res images look much clearer than mine and I have had comments that some of my photos are bit soft, yet when I look at the full-res versions, they are so sharp you could cut yourself on them.

Is there something I'm missing, or should I be using a different system/software to do this?

Any help is appreciated.

ricktas
13-04-2011, 5:17pm
Most people use the methods outlined here (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?14971-How-to-resize-photographs-for-the-Internet) if they use PS

Kym
13-04-2011, 5:38pm
Don't let MS software re-size! Do it long hand first. Most likely you may need a little sharpening

Google BDsizer for a tool that makes it easy

abitfishy
13-04-2011, 8:25pm
I've used a variety of programs, including Irfanview which in my opinion is the worst of the lot, but have been using Picasa more recently (export function) and found resized images much better than previously.

fabian628
14-04-2011, 5:33pm
For uploading photos I usually save as a lower quality but remain the same size (5-9MB picture is then made about 0.5-1mb). When uploading to somewhere like photobucket at 1024px wide, the original photo that was 3000+ px wide looks fine.

William
14-04-2011, 6:51pm
Most people use the methods outlined here (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?14971-How-to-resize-photographs-for-the-Internet) if they use PS

Ricks option is the best , Remember to give a little sharpen after you downsize the image :)

woofie
20-04-2011, 8:13am
Don't let MS software re-size!

never let MS do anythign automatically for you.