PDA

View Full Version : Photographer's block

Scotty72
11-04-2011, 3:45pm
I too have been sufferring the much feared photographer's block.

The only exceptions have been my girl's hockey games and a bizzare city walk (where I was the bizzare thing).

Trying to work my way back.

So, how have others overcome the doldrums?

Scotty

ElectricImages
11-04-2011, 3:56pm
Set yourself a challenge. Something that's usually completely out of your ball park. If you're normally a candid/urban photographer, take yourself for a drive in the country and get yourself some landscape shots. Do a macro. Or enter this weeks' forum competitions. XD

Scotty72
11-04-2011, 4:01pm
Prob a good idea.

I did get sick of shooting people (Holden Caulfield would be horrified)...

Going to Qld next week for a week, hopefully I'll get some inspiration up that'away.

matt22
11-04-2011, 4:02pm
I get the same at times, my biggest problem is motivation. Once I get out there and get a few shots in it re-ignites the urge to get out again. I do try and study when I’m not motivated to get out there, I’ll learn something from an online tutorial and or book and then head out and try and put it into practice.

I'm thinking the online member challenges will be a way to get me out there more often!

ricktas
11-04-2011, 4:05pm
Go into a room in your house, and take 50 photos..but each photo has to be off a different thing. It is amazing how after the first few room shots etc, you start to look for angles, items, etc. It can be a real challenge to get all 50, but you will find the last ones are the most creative..and its fun..and you don't have to travel anywhere to take them etc.

You can use this idea on anything. Go to a local park and take 50 photos of the same tree, each different.

You get the idea.

triptych
11-04-2011, 4:15pm
I went through this a few weeks ago...I got back to basics, just remembered why I loved taking photo's, and had fun with it again. I got some good portraits and went from there and havent looked back...I was over thinking it I think...anyways thats what worked for me.

KLi
11-04-2011, 4:28pm
In a short answer, try new things. New location, new genre, new style.

Or you can set challenges and goals with limitation like what others have mentioned. I actually wrote a little post on my blog about this you can check it out at Stay motivated with photography (http://www.kliphotography.com.au/blog/?p=98) hopefully it helps a bit.

Xenedis
11-04-2011, 4:30pm
I too have been sufferring the much feared photographer's block.

My issue is a lack of motivation, not a lack of ideas.

I've shot very little in the past six or seven months.

So, how have others overcome the doldrums?

I haven't quite done so. I've done a few shoots, but not a great deal. Mind you, I am very pleased with what I have shot this year, and I've found that the number of compositions I produce per session tends to be less than five. On my most recent shoot, I intended on only one composition, but shot two.

I am wanting to shoot again, and there will be a few opportunities for country-side landscapes in the coming month, so I'll take advantage of that. Also did some recce yesterday and found a spot with potential for one of my subject interests.

Unfortunately my pace just isn't what it used to be, but for now I am comfortable with it.

stoogest
12-04-2011, 9:11pm
Unless it's putting food on the table it's ok to take a break. Hobbys can become chores really quickly if you try and force it!

Andrew.

Art Vandelay
12-04-2011, 9:46pm
Unless it's putting food on the table it's ok to take a break. Hobbys can become chores really quickly if you try and force it!

Andrew.

Was just about to add a similar comment, then read yours.

You're exactly right. There's no problem with putting your gear in the cupboard until you feel like using it. Why feel pressured to use it ? That aint fun.

Paul G
12-04-2011, 11:50pm
Scotty where are you going to be in Qld?

Scotty72
13-04-2011, 7:59am
Gold Coast ==> Bris ==> Fraser Coast (Hervey Bay, Childers, Bundy)

Longshots
13-04-2011, 8:12am
try and get out to the Mon Repos National Park to see the turtles at Bagara near Bundaberg - a night time visit btw

Re advice on photo block - yep Rick is spot on with that type of advice :)

William
13-04-2011, 8:34am
Gold Coast ==> Bris ==> Fraser Coast (Hervey Bay, Childers, Bundy)

What day are you arriving on the Coast Scotty, There is a few of us having a meet up on Sunday 17th ?

arubaato
13-04-2011, 11:21am
My suggestion is change format. I got fired up this week because a friend lent me a Bronica 6x6 and a set of lens. Now I can't wait till the weekend to go and shoot.

I might try to 50 things idea, but it can get pretty expensive using film.:)

ving
13-04-2011, 11:34am
why not take a break? :confused013

Dylan & Marianne
13-04-2011, 12:39pm
I've been taking a break for the same reason - getting fresh for the upcoming tassie trip ;)
or maybe I'm just gearing up for life with the newborn in advance :P

Scotty72
13-04-2011, 5:32pm
I've actually starting to use my iPhone heaps. So, when I do pick up the DSLR I feel, phew! a decent camera.

I'm going to do a bit of stop and shot as I drive... try to capture a moment... see how it goes.

BTW, have been to Mon Repos several times... My parents (RIP) used to live at Bargara.

Part of the trip is visiting Dad's new head - stone... which BTW... they made a typo on it... I hope they will not make me jump up and down about THEM paying for the replacement.

Arriving on the coast on the 19th and only staying 1 night :(

colinbm
13-04-2011, 10:55pm
It is easy to drag your feet with the onset of winter :(
The cure for bordom is curiosity, there is no cure for curiosity !
If you don't already have everything, buy some new gear & learn to use it ?
Col

Scotty72
14-04-2011, 2:12pm
My wife is now out looking to hunt you down!

colinbm
14-04-2011, 2:23pm
My wife is now out looking to hunt you down!

Have I got her curious :D
OR is she bringing carving knives :eek:
Col

Scotty72
14-04-2011, 5:20pm
knives :eek:

colinbm
14-04-2011, 5:50pm
Nothing like living dangerously ;)

zollo
14-04-2011, 7:30pm
"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop."
- Ansel Adams

IMO pushing yourself too hard (in this case to take meaningful photographs) can be counterproductive.

Xenedis
14-04-2011, 7:31pm
IMO pushing yourself too hard (in this case to take meaningful photographs) can be counterproductive.

IMO, quality is always more important that quantity.

I'd rather shoot a dozen very pleasing images than a hundred average images.