PDA

View Full Version : Roleystone/Araluen Meet

Gemini2261
10-04-2011, 11:16pm
I just reviewed the pic's I took at autumn last year & the date was the 11th of May.

It starts getting very cold up here at night from here on in, which turns the trees.

There are the orchards that turn too...especially the persimmon trees...amazing orange, rust & reds.

So we could probably make a tentative date for a shoot/meet on April 30, May 1st, 7th or 8th...after that too many leaves will probably be dropped particularly if it starts blowing.

I will keep an eye on the trees up here as they turn. We can go into the botanical gardens (aprox $4 from memory) & the golf course is pretty amazing too.

Just got work out what the best time of day would be. If you want mist then there is plenty before the sun is up, swirling around in the valley's.

There are also some natural granite watering holes up here with water flowing around that ppl may find interesting...need sturdy shoes...steep.
:)

jjhtt
11-04-2011, 8:52am
sounds like a good day Juanita. Count me in work permitting.

Milbs1
11-04-2011, 5:31pm
I'm a definite. Prefer Saturday mornings to Sundays, but depends if my other half is cycling or not... :th3:

Michaela
11-04-2011, 5:45pm
I'm a definite, too! :D The 7th might be a bit tricky, as it's a family birthday, but I could probably work around it if that's the day everyone chooses. :)

peterking
13-04-2011, 1:12am
For me for early mornings only the 8th works.
Any other day I can make it a late afternoon - evening session.

Billnick
16-04-2011, 9:30am
Ah, trip down memory lane. My dad had an apple orchard on the border of Karragullen and we would go swimming at Araluen and Roleystone pools (before they closed). Alas, that was 50yrs ago, now I live in Brisbane. I will look forward to any shots you may post.

Bill Nicholls

Gemini2261
16-04-2011, 10:03am
Ah, trip down memory lane. My dad had an apple orchard on the border of Karragullen and we would go swimming at Araluen and Roleystone pools (before they closed). Alas, that was 50yrs ago, now I live in Brisbane. I will look forward to any shots you may post.

Bill Nicholls

Bill, the pools are my fav place, I go there every day & swim the dog...wonderful & peaceful :th3:

PhoTomD
16-04-2011, 12:30pm
Count me in Gemini :) Whenever majority decides. 8th seems great

Roosta
18-04-2011, 3:46pm
Just an idea of this one to tie in with my earlier post a BBQ meetup on/around the 7th May. Juanita, do you know of an area that we can utilise for a BBQ? This would work well for all those whom replied to the 7Th May "Throwing it out there" Post.

What do you all think?

Michaela
18-04-2011, 3:53pm
Just updating my initial response - unfortunately, I'm not going to be available on the afternoon/evening of the 7th of May due to an earlier commitment. :( I would be able to make it on any other date/time.

enduro
20-04-2011, 8:22pm
I've never been to Araluen, but do know someone in management there.

Whats happening at Araluen in May?

What are our plans for the day?

Gemini2261
21-04-2011, 11:45pm
Hi guy's. sorry been offline for a few days this week. So I gather you fancy the 7th?

If you want to go to the botanical park for a shoot they have BBQ's there tables etc. Then there is the actual golf course where the trees are amazing & there are ponds, reflections ...that needs to be late (maybe a sunset there) so we don't get bonked on the head by golfers. Then if you really want to stretch it I can take you to a place to do some cool light painting & maybe if you are so inclined a milkyway shot (have not got a clue how to do that myself).

Let me know :)

I will try to take a look at the trees down there how they are turning over the next couple of days...last year it was amazing.

seastorm
25-04-2011, 7:54pm
I think I might be able to make it (finally!!), will have to see closer to the time though...all fingers crossed

enduro
26-04-2011, 6:45pm
Hi guy's. sorry been offline for a few days this week. So I gather you fancy the 7th?

If you want to go to the botanical park for a shoot they have BBQ's there tables etc. Then there is the actual golf course where the trees are amazing & there are ponds, reflections ...that needs to be late (maybe a sunset there) so we don't get bonked on the head by golfers. Then if you really want to stretch it I can take you to a place to do some cool light painting & maybe if you are so inclined a milkyway shot (have not got a clue how to do that myself).

Let me know :)

I will try to take a look at the trees down there how they are turning over the next couple of days...last year it was amazing.

I'm still keen.

I talked to my friend that works there and she can let us in before the public arrive in the AM. We didn't discuss the PM. Apparently the trees have not started changing yet.

Keep us informed.

Thanks.

jacquils
27-04-2011, 10:58pm
Hi...I'm new to the site but I would love to meet up but will have to confirm closer to the date. The 8th is completely out for me (Mothers Day) but 7th I should be able to do just have to make sure the hubby isn't working.

Thanks,
Jacqui
:)

blissful
29-04-2011, 9:28am
I am very interested and the 7th sounds ideal. It's about time I met some of the people who produce such wonderful photos and this area is only 10 minutes away for me.
I just wonder whether the long, late summer might affect the timing of the trees' colour shift although I've noticed my liquid amber is just starting to change.

Gemini2261
01-05-2011, 1:49pm
I am very interested and the 7th sounds ideal. It's about time I met some of the people who produce such wonderful photos and this area is only 10 minutes away for me.
I just wonder whether the long, late summer might affect the timing of the trees' colour shift although I've noticed my liquid amber is just starting to change.

We have a week to go & it is starting to get very cold at night up here (can be a good 4-5 degrees warmer at the bottom of the hill, sometimes up to 10). I have had the fire going 2 nights now, so they should turn now, going to take a drive up the road later to check out the golf course. :th3:

13ulletz
01-05-2011, 11:54pm
Hey so is this penned in for the 7th? I'm new to the site as well but wouldn't mind meetin others with a photography hobby. Just gotta google where aralien is haha

nicolef
02-05-2011, 10:12pm
Hey all, I am very new to this site! but very keen to head up to Araluen!! Would love to join you... Are you planning for this Saturday??

Gemini2261
03-05-2011, 12:32am
Hey all, I am very new to this site! but very keen to head up to Araluen!! Would love to join you... Are you planning for this Saturday??

Yes come along...we have not figured out whats the best time yet for ppl...stay tuned :th3:

Gemini2261
03-05-2011, 12:34am
What time do ppl want to meet up there? Am & do lunch? The place is pretty spread out & there is a bit of walking etc to take up the time :)

Samphire
03-05-2011, 6:33am
Hi I can make it anytime Sat but not Sunday it sounds amazing
Sam

Milbs1
03-05-2011, 11:20am
Juanita, we need to set a date and time!
If its morning, then I would like to go early and do sunrise there (esp if Enduro's friend can let us in early?), and maybe all stay for brunch?
If later, then happy to meet at 4.30pm, do sunset and dinner (not sure where?).

My vote is for morning (I have only ever done evening AP meets!).

13ulletz
03-05-2011, 11:40am
Saturday is good for me. ill go the entire day.

ice
03-05-2011, 11:53am
I'm glad i checked the 'new posts'- only just caught this thread! I'm keen to go as i STILL havent made it to a meet.. I agree with Milbs1 also- a morning shoot is probably best- sunrise and a brunch thing. The sun is rising later each day- so it's not even a massively early start- about 6am probably. Im keen to do that, and that way the light just gets stronger instead of disappearing? Sat 7th is good for me :) Where would we be meeting at Araluen- is there a specific meeting point?

- Imogen

Michaela
03-05-2011, 11:55am
Early morning would be great for me, too! :)

blissful
03-05-2011, 3:00pm
I would prefer morning, particularly as I am attending a concert that evening.

I don't know what else is available but Genesis in the Hills cafe is very close by and has very yummy food for those who enjoy such things :sc

nicolef
03-05-2011, 4:33pm
Cool man!! THis is my mother's day present (have to spend sunday with mother in law) morning would be great

Gemini2261
04-05-2011, 11:34am
OK, if you wanted to do a sunrise then we may have to meet at the golf course & then possibly move on to the botanical park. I just checked and the botanical park only opens at 9am ...too late for any sunrise. If we went to the golf course very early I would think there may be mist in the valley but I can't be sure because I have been too lazy to go there early to check. I checked up sunrise & I think it is 06:51 hrs. Probably need to get there by at least 06:00 hr to walk & set up ?...if you want to go to the golf course there are a number of lakes & streams with the trees turning in that valley. There is a bit of walking around (& not flat ground) to get your nice spot.

I have have called the golf course just now & the manager has approved of us coming, so long as we leave by 8am...they are expecting lots of golfing after that. :th3:

On another note seeing you guys are coming up. I was notified this week that Pickering Brook (not far from here, kind of next town) are having a show this weekend. The show committee have secured $600 worth of prizes from Camera house. I guess they are after submissions to show case Pickering Brook, farming, agricultural, orchardist, equestrian. I have not gone up there but I think it will be colourful with the trees turning, lots of orchards & valleys, that may be interesting for saturday too. They are having a fireworks too. :th3:

Gemini2261
04-05-2011, 11:55am
BTW, I am waiting for someone to get back to me with the details of the submission date for the Pickering Brook Show Comp. Let you know the details later. Also found this link to the show...nice for the kids...

http://www.kalamunda.wa.gov.au/Visitors/WhatsOn/RegularEvents/PickeringBrookAgriculturalShow.aspx :th3:

Milbs1
04-05-2011, 2:13pm
Fantastic. So 6am at the golf course (http://www.araluenresort.com.au/guests/contact/directions.mhtml)?
A nice early start, lets hope for some colour and/or mist at least!
If any new members would like a contact mobile # flick me a PM and I'll send you mine. That way if you're late or lost you should be able to get in contact with us :)

Michaela
04-05-2011, 2:21pm
Sounds good! :) Would we just be meeting in the golf course carpark? (I haven't been there before, but assuming it won't be too hard to find.)

13ulletz
04-05-2011, 2:32pm
Sweet I'll b there. Look forward to it

PhoTomD
04-05-2011, 3:11pm
On Sat the sun is rising at 6:51. First twilight will appear at around 6.20 but the golf course is around 300 m above the sea level so we will be able to see first twilight at around 6:10 (unless it is behind the hills)....To have some time to find a nice composition and set ourselves up it would be great to meet early. I'll be there way before 5:30 AM :o

Milbs1
04-05-2011, 3:43pm
On Sat the sun is rising at 6:51. First twilight will appear at around 6.20 but the golf course is around 300 m above the sea level so we will be able to see first twilight at around 6:10 (unless it is behind the hills)....To have some time to find a nice composition and set ourselves up it would be great to meet early. I'll be there way before 5:30 AM :o

Well I'm not going to be a wuss, so I will aim for 5.30 too!
Dont forget to bring a torch!

Gemini2261
04-05-2011, 4:51pm
Hi, yes I would say maybe before 6am would be best. There is a fair slope to negotiate into the valley. I would say ppl just go there & walk down the fairway & set up maybe, rather than hang around the carpark waiting for each other. There will be a heap of Roo's around there as well if ppl are careful not to scare them walking down may make a nice scene.

There is only one road to get up there "Heritage Drive" follow it right up (fair way up the hill) eventually you will come to a small round-about ~ go left there should be a sign ~ to the club house. There is lots of parking on the left opposite the club house (Up a steep drive, lots of trees in front not so visible). Follow the path to the left of the back of the club house & go around to the front you will see the fairways there & walk down.

Bewdyful :th3:

Samphire
04-05-2011, 4:52pm
5:30 am at the golf course is ok for me I hope I can find you guys!

Michaela
04-05-2011, 4:54pm
It shouldn't be too hard to find everyone - we're all going to need to be carrying a torch!!! :D

Gemini2261
04-05-2011, 4:56pm
5:30 am at the golf course is ok for me I hope I can find you guys!

Yes, just make sure you drive to the club house & walk around the front to the fairway...you will see a bunch of ppl fiddling around in the dark...hehe

Make sure ppl bring something warm as it is cold up here now when the sun is down. The valley's are very cold.

:th3:

jjhtt
04-05-2011, 11:22pm
Can't make Saturday guys, on night shift fri and sat, so will still be at work when you are making your way through the fog lol......have fun.

Roosta
06-05-2011, 9:00am
Same as Jeff, just landed a new job, have inductions and all sorts on, fly Monday, Have fun. Will contact you guys when I get back.

Milbs1
06-05-2011, 9:43am
Same as Jeff, just landed a new job, have inductions and all sorts on, fly Monday, Have fun. Will contact you guys when I get back.

Congrats on the new job....and see you when you get back!

Sueann
06-05-2011, 10:29pm
Ooooh, glad I found this thread! I would love to meet you all, especially since I live in Roleystone too! But alas my hubby is working so I can't make it.
The Pickering Brook show sounds great, I will try to head out there :D

13ulletz
06-05-2011, 10:57pm
Charge your batteries, clear your memory sticks and dont forget your tripod!!!
So we're meeting towards the lake right??

Samphire
07-05-2011, 2:32pm
Hi all,
Wonderful morning at Araluen this morning, thank you again for having me along Here (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280557369143&refid=store) is the link to the rain covers I found for those interested.

Look forward to more

Sam

13ulletz
07-05-2011, 6:12pm
Hey guys,
Thanks for organising the meet, even though i didn't arrive for the sunrise, was still good to meet and chat over coffee.. hopefully next time ill pay attention to my alarm when setting!
I still went to the botanic park and here is 2 from today. (not sure if its right to post in here??)\

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5143/5695649718_2261ddd991.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56872951@N06/5695649718/)
16mm f11 1/10 iso100

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2045/5695036911_7aae4794e8.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56872951@N06/5695036911/)
10mm f9 1/200 iso100
There appears to be quite abit of noise in #2 not sure why?

CC will be appreciated. please give as harsh as you can :)

Cheers,
H.B

seastorm
07-05-2011, 11:46pm
All, sorry I couldn't make it today, something came up last minute, being Mother's day and all tomorrow....will try and do the next one, although I'll be flying out to Sweden for a month for work at the end of May :(