PDA

View Full Version : I'm colour blind!!

eloki
10-04-2011, 4:20pm
So I was browsing aimlessly online and came across a color vision test. After going through a dozen similar tests through different websites, turns out I have a degree of red-green colour blindness (always had trouble distinguishing a few colours, e.g. blue & purple).

I wonder if there are any pros who are colour blind...

William
10-04-2011, 4:43pm
No (But not Pro), But I'd guess it would make it difficult on Processing :eek:

fess67
10-04-2011, 4:59pm
I also have a red / green colour blindness. Never knew it until I joined the army!!!

I do not really have a problem with it in day to day life but yes, in processing I find it hard at times and so typically trust the 'auto' setting when it comes to colour corrections. It is also the main reason I did not bother buying things like the Spyder monitor calibration tool. Kinda seemed like a waste of time since the real issue was between the chair and the keyboard - me !!! :) I usually ask my wife to check out colour issues.

mitch2147
11-04-2011, 7:40pm
Sounds like you have Deuteranopia (red green). I have that, and there are no benefits to being colour blind apart from messing with people eg saying the grass is red etc.

It limits career choices as well. I applied for the police, fire brigade and army but couldn't get in.

fess67
11-04-2011, 8:41pm
It limits career choices as well. I applied for the police, fire brigade and army but couldn't get in.

I got into the army but it did limit the branches I could apply for. Ended up Artillery, now I cannot hear well either!!! :D

farmer_rob
11-04-2011, 8:51pm
I'm slightly colourblind (and not pro). I don't think it makes pp harder - but don't ask me to choose a paint colour or web colour scheme:eek:.

selaw
15-04-2011, 6:38pm
Sounds like you have Deuteranopia (red green).

Interesting thread, I have the same condition quoted here. Generally I can see well enough if the colours are bright and vibrant but it does have it's drawbacks with me when post processing. I tend to overdo it to make a photo 'pop' out at me. I now am concience of what others might see so am training myself to take more time on location allowing the natural light to work best and applying as little editing as I can before I get the feeling I may have tipped the scales.

I too, have called on the boss to have a look before I submit on the odd occasion. Other times I'll read some cc regarding my photo and I'll ask my wife if she can see what they are talking about. Sometimes Kathy can, sometimes not so easily and that might have something to do with the quality of our computer monitor.

I love photography too much to allow it to stop me trying to take a great photo and am extreemly encouraged by the work I see from all others here on AP, likewise affected by colour deficiency or not.

Another road I looked at was to see if I could perhaps learn how to read a scene for contrast minus colour influence and perhaps develope a monochrome style.

There are also legally blind (with guide dogs) photographers. I read of one such Australian chap recently but the name escapes me.

William
15-04-2011, 7:25pm
:Doh: You mean Sunrises are'nt really blue :D Sorry guys, But it must be really annoying in some circumstances , I think I don't suffer the Colour Blindness :)

farmer_rob
15-04-2011, 11:13pm
It's only annoying when someone points out what you can't see. I can appreciate a sunrise as well as anyone - it is just that my perception of what colours are there is different.

selaw
16-04-2011, 7:33am
:Doh: You mean Sunrises are'nt really blue :D Sorry guys, But it must be really annoying in some circumstances , I think I don't suffer the Colour Blindness :)

Cut's deep Bill :rolleyes: :D Ironically, sunrises/sunsets are generally the easiest to deal with as good ones 'often' have vibrant colours. You are right, at least in my case, it can be very frustrating. Green colour casts are something I miss at times especially across are dark area of an image. Some blues & purples along with greens & browns can throw me. Who know's this is where the best of the best in filters etc might help to eliminate something like this before post processing. 95% of the time I am fine and confident and I know at the end it pleases me. Having said all this I've witnesses plenty of times some vast differences of opinions amongst perfectly normal colour apt people.

selaw
16-04-2011, 7:34am
It's only annoying when someone points out what you can't see. I can appreciate a sunrise as well as anyone - it is just that my perception of what colours are there is different.

Ditto :th3:

dunnart
17-04-2011, 9:57am
Well, I know I'm not colour blind - I just did a test last week for work.

It doesn't help my photography though :D :D:D :D:D