PDA

View Full Version : Which Camera for starting out

Jane11
09-04-2011, 9:28pm
Have noticed that the Canon 40D seems to often be recommended as a good second hand camera for those newly venturing into the world of digital SLR.

Would love some feedback as to why this particular camera over others.

ricktas
09-04-2011, 9:52pm
No reason what so ever. All cameras, from all the major brands are good, and are capable of quite advanced settings etc. People tend to recommend what they have, nothing more.

PH005
09-04-2011, 10:41pm
The final choice is solely up to you. Your money. As Rick has said, all major brands will give you a great start in DSLR. Only you have to do the ground work and decide which one best suits your needs, wants, desires and budget. Best of luck but dont take too long so that you can get snapping and start enjoying. :)

Jane11
09-04-2011, 11:14pm
To be honest I am finding it hard to know the best way to go. At the moment I have only got a small point and shoot Canon and there are so many cameras out there to choose from, that it sort of does my head in a bit

Before digital I had a Nikon F60. I took a long time to choose that and thought I had it right but I found it very heavy to work with and I only ever used it on auto anyway.

I guess I don't want to make the same mistake again so when others suggest buying something second hand to start off with the idea tends to sound appealing. :(

ricktas
10-04-2011, 6:25am
So work out what YOU want in a camera. Consider weight, ergonomics, size, features. Then look for a camera that suits your needs, not what someone else says is good. All current model cameras can produce stunning results in the hands of a skilled and knowledgeable person.

The onlything I would say against the 40d is that it is now 2 generations old, having been superseded by the 50d and 60d. Technology has advanced a lot since the 40d came out and you can get the same features and more, with a current model 000 series Canon.

If weight is a serious issue look at a 1000d in Canon or a d7000 in Nikon. But to be honest the camera body weight becomes irrelevant once you start progressing in photography and add something like a 70-200 to your lens line-up, as it gets heavy again. Think about camera bags, staps, etc as a wayto overcome weight issues.

soulman
10-04-2011, 7:17pm
I think the 40D gets recommended a lot because it is a particularly sweet body. It was a significant improvement over the 30D - larger LCD, 10MP & 14 bit RAW - whereas the 50D was not unanimously considered an improvement - it went to 15MP but had poorer noise performance - and the 60D, which came out after the 7D, almost shouldn't be called an x0D, because it is a move back toward the entry level to avoid competing too much with the 7D.

The difference between something like a 40D and a xx0D or xxx0D is much more than what can be gleaned from looking at spec sheets. It has some excellent features - metal body, much better controls including the 3 custom modes - that the cheaper bodies don't have and it feels great in the hand, particularly if you like larger cameras. I've had one, as well as cheaper and more expensive Canons, and would buy another one in preference to any other new or second hand body in that price range.

scotteffone
11-04-2011, 5:42am
I think the 40D gets recommended a lot because it is a particularly sweet body. It was a significant improvement over the 30D - larger LCD, 10MP & 14 bit RAW - whereas the 50D was not unanimously considered an improvement - it went to 15MP but had poorer noise performance - and the 60D, which came out after the 7D, almost shouldn't be called an x0D, because it is a move back toward the entry level to avoid competing too much with the 7D.

The difference between something like a 40D and a xx0D or xxx0D is much more than what can be gleaned from looking at spec sheets. It has some excellent features - metal body, much better controls including the 3 custom modes - that the cheaper bodies don't have and it feels great in the hand, particularly if you like larger cameras. I've had one, as well as cheaper and more expensive Canons, and would buy another one in preference to any other new or second hand body in that price range.

I agree. Also, of the cameras I was looking at, this camera that had the fastest continuous drive (amount of time the shutter can open and close to take photos, measured in frames per second or FPS). It was also important to me to have a separate LCD screen for the shot settings over the main LCD which most of the entry level D-SLR's don’t have.

But again, you will see from the replies this is what we wanted in a camera. I suggest you keep having a read and try to work out what type of pictures you want (I wanted to take sport/action photos so a decent fps was important to me). But really, starting out you can't go too wrong with an D-SLR.

ameerat42
11-04-2011, 9:51am
...when others suggest buying something second hand to start off with the idea tends to sound appealing. :(
Other considerations: Are they photographers? What's the appeal? A 2nd hand, used piece of complicated electro-machinery with no warranty? Unless it's a gift.
(MHOs) Am.

bricat
13-04-2011, 7:09am
Many years ago I decided to buy a brand x camera. I picked this particular brand because that was all they made. Not dishwashers fridges etc. Since then I have upgraded several times and have ventured into DSLR. I stuck with the same brand as most symbols/features remained the same all be it upgraded with new features. As has been stated most brands nowadays are good to very good and they have a price point where you can choose depending on available funds. Cheers Brian

screamer
16-04-2011, 12:13am
I purchased a second hand 40D about 18 months ago as an upgrade to my old 300D. Soulman is right, the 40D has particularly good ergonomics, all the basics of a relatively new DSLR, fast fps (great for sports and other fast moving objects), reasonable noise control (happy to go to ISO800) and is tough as an old boot.

There are lots of other good cameras - but the 40D is now quite cheap and would be a very good all round camera. I note you are concerned about weight and Rictas makes some good points. The 40D is not the lightest camera around.

AdamJL
18-04-2011, 5:14pm
"Which Camera for starting out"

The absolute best you can afford.

Trust me, it'll save you a lot of money from upgrading in the long run.
Do it once, do it right.

iwkyb
23-04-2011, 12:07am
If you don't need a veri-angle screen and high FPS/focus speed, canon 550D is really good bang for bucks (same sensor + IQ + noise control as 600D, 60D, 7D). Save the cash and get some L glass.

fabian628
23-04-2011, 12:27am
To be honest I am finding it hard to know the best way to go. At the moment I have only got a small point and shoot Canon and there are so many cameras out there to choose from, that it sort of does my head in a bit

Before digital I had a Nikon F60. I took a long time to choose that and thought I had it right but I found it very heavy to work with and I only ever used it on auto anyway.
I guess I don't want to make the same mistake again so when others suggest buying something second hand to start off with the idea tends to sound appealing. :(

the f60 is 580g while the 40D body is 820g. Although lenses usually add the most significant weight to a body, you might take a route with lighter lenses and try to pick lighter camera, eg. the 1000D,500D,550D cameras are a little lighter and smaller than 40D/50D etc.
the 40D is reccomended becuase it is cheap at the moment, you can get one seocnd hand for $500 which is quite a bit less than a new 500D. It also has more advanced features-higher frames/sec, top lcd, back wheel, etc. I think the 50D is not abad camera either, it is a bit newer also a nice camera.

Getting a basic second hand DSLR is not a mistake, 1) you can easily sell without much loss, if, you decide to upgrade or lose intrest. For me new bodies are rediculously expensive, and you can often find second hand ones (of the newer cameras) with 6 or more months warranty.

Allan Ryan
26-04-2011, 7:29pm
if you do look for a 40D
keep in mind that you can still get New 50D with warrenty etc, for around the $800
have seen them on a few sites for this price - I payed $1500 for my Body only :)

unistudent1962
26-04-2011, 8:58pm
keep in mind that you can still get New 50D with warrenty etc, for around the $800
have seen them on a few sites for this price

Where??????????

Allan Ryan
27-04-2011, 8:30pm
i looked before posting that price just to be sure
there where 3 sites quoting new 50D for low $800 range
Not sure if allowed to put up sites here but if you google 50D prices it should be easy to find
one was around $816 i think

Cheers

unistudent1962
27-04-2011, 8:38pm
Been there, done that.
I've been looking since Christmas, and while there are numerous sites claiming to be selling them, NOT ONE store, on-line or bricks and mortar have had a 50D in stock during that time.

LYDIA
29-04-2011, 5:54pm
I just got a 40d. It's my first dlsr.
I'm in love with it. In manual settings it's a bit difficult to get your head around, unless you have a good understanding of ISO, aperture etc.
But if you're willing to give it some time, you get the hang of it :)
It's really fast.
But as the others have said, it also is pretty heavy.. But i don't think that should be a factor that should deter you. :)