PDA

View Full Version : Flies transferred out of sequence.

Photophil2010
09-04-2011, 6:12pm
I own a D90 with about 10,000 shutter activations. Recently when transferring images from the memory card (directly) to my PC via Nikon Transfer some of the files were out of order. This has happened twice now.
I wondered if anyone else had had this happen?
I'm sure it is nothing to do with the camera as it isn't being used to transfer the image files.
Could it be the memory card?
I regularly format this card (sandisk 4GB) in the camera.
Maybe I should just try a new card.
What do others think?

I @ M
09-04-2011, 6:17pm
Have you updated Nikon Transfer recently?
I had never had a problem with files under "their system" transferring the way I had set them in the options menu of transfer until the last update when all of a sudden they seemed to want to create new folders and so forth.
I think that it will either be your software settings in transfer or the file numbering sequence ( camera menu ) to start renaming them after xxxx exposures.

Photophil2010
09-04-2011, 7:11pm
The files were out of order in the group they were transferred in. The first 10 files were in order, then 5 were missed, then 8 were in order followed by the 5 missed files. All the files on the card were transferred. The numbering of the files is correct but out of order. eg 1 2 3 6 7 8 9 4 5 . When viewed on the camera they were in correct order.
The version of nikon transfer I have is V1.1.1. When I try to get updates I get a message that "could not connect to the Nikon server. Try again later."
I will try to update this but I think I will have to turn of my virus protection.
Thanks for the help so far.

arthurking83
09-04-2011, 9:50pm
The version of nikon transfer I have is V1.1.1. ...

By far Nikon's worst software is the 'Update Centre' :rolleyes: it never alerts me to newer software, even tho my current version(of whatever) software may be up to two versions older!

I'm with Andrew.. never had any issues with transferring files using Nikon Transfer, but the latest version(sort of embedded into ViewNX2) is version 2.. not v1.1.1 as you have.
Do you have ViewNX as version 2 or VNX1?
When you install ViewNX2, Nikon Transfer 2 is installed automagically. That is, Nikon Transfer 2 is not a standalone program, there is no direct link to it via a program file shortcut. The executable is in a directory(Nikon Transfer) within the Nikon ViewNX2 directory.

I know this part will sound confusing, but that's how Nikon software generally works! :p .. The standalone Nikon Transfer program(of yesteryear) is still a version 1, but the latest version is 1.5.3(Win) 1.5.2(Mac).
I've never used Transfer version1, I used to simply copy NEFs using Windows Explorer(from card to PC).
Andrew got me onto Transfer(but I went straight to v2 when it came with VNX2) and then I saw for myself how much more flexible it was for transferring files and sorting them during transfer.

If you aren't using ViewNX2, then try downloading it and replacing Transfer v1 with version 2. You don't have to use ViewNX, you can still create your own shortcut to Transfer v2 by locating the executable and it still works(as standalone).
I select Transfer from the AutoPlay popup in Windows when a card is inserted into the reader, and it's then set to open ViewNX after the files have been transferred.

LINK to current versions of Nikon software (http://nikonasia-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/162).

Oh! and FWIW, the main reason I prefer Nikon Transfer for transferring my NEFs, is the manner in which it stores metadata(keywording and suchlike) in the file itself.
I like cross compatibility and because I use Nikon software for the bulk of my NEF file handling, if I use a third party program to transfer files AND add any extra metadata, it's not usually readable by Nikon's software.
The manner in which Nikon stores metadata in their files is readable by all other software.
Basic example. If I add metadata to an NEF in IDImager(my preferred DAM software) or Lightroom3, the 'keywording' in not recognised by ViewNX. If I add the metadata in Nikon Transfer, or other Nikon software, it's still recognised in IDImager or LR3. IDImager warns of possible file corruption if adding keywording the way Nikon do.

In my experience, I've had hundreds of thousands of NEFs transferred and tagged, and never a corrupted NEF in using any Nikon software.

Sorry in that I can't offer any explanation as to why you've had this sorting error, I've had this with Windows Explorer tho, where it's named files differently (eg. with a _2 extension after the DSC_XXXX name), but I suspect it may have been a car reader errors or something.

The only reason I could imagine this sorting error to occur, is if you switch colourspace in camera for specific images, say from sRGB to aRGB. If you're normally set to sRGB the file naming(in camera) is always DSC_XXXX, whereas if you switch to aRGB the naming is then changed to _DSCXXXX instead. In Windows, the _(underscore)precursor in the name means that any images named in that manner will be sorted ahead of any DSC_ images.
This is normal and not a Transfer issue, nor a camera issue. Even tho the images with an underscore beginning are sorted a the top of the file tree in Windows, the camera still sorts them in as shot order, meaning that in camera _DSC1234 will display after DSC_0001, even tho the PC will store them the other way around.