PDA

View Full Version : Canon MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite Flash.. Query

Mary Anne
08-04-2011, 5:10pm
Hi Folks... Finally got enough money saved to buy a Canon MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite Ring-lite Flash though a little confused as by searching and reading up I cannot find anywhere that tells me if it will need an adaptor I have seen where you have to get one for the 180mm macro lens as it has a 77mm filter thread but nothing about the Canon 100mm L IS lens which has a 67mm filter thread. The other Canon 100mm non IS macro lens has a 58mm filter thread which I assume the flash fits that one OK.

So if anyone can help me here I would appreciate it..

Is this twin flash compatible with the Tamron 90 mm macro lens which has a 55mm filter thread, I suppose I will probably need another adaptor if it is..

Kerro
08-04-2011, 6:36pm
Mary Anne, I not so sure about the Canon MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite Ring-lite Flash,
but I bought a cheapy ring lite from ebay and it came with half a dozen adapters for all
different sized lenses. 52mm, 58mm, 67mm, 77mm. To name a few from memory as I
don't have them with me. So I can use it on all of mine.
The adapters also work with my Cokin filter set too, so I can use the filters on all my
lenses too.

Michaela
08-04-2011, 7:21pm
According to the specifications I found, it fits all Canon EF Macro lenses apart from the 180mm which requires an adapter (72C).

Mary Anne
08-04-2011, 9:21pm
Mary Anne, I not so sure about the Canon MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite Ring-lite Flash,
but I bought a cheapy ring lite from ebay and it came with half a dozen adapters for all
different sized lenses. 52mm, 58mm, 67mm, 77mm. To name a few from memory as I
don't have them with me. So I can use it on all of mine.
The adapters also work with my Cokin filter set too, so I can use the filters on all my
lenses too.

Thanks Kerro that's very interesting.. I have thought about getting a cheaper one though they dont seem to have twin lites only the ring lites.
I need all the help I can get when it comes to lights, as I dont want to scare the bugs away like I do with my Speedlite sometimes.
That's great that you got all of those adapters and better still that you can use them on your Cokin filter set :th3:

Mary Anne
08-04-2011, 9:31pm
According to the specifications I found, it fits all Canon EF Macro lenses apart from the 180mm which requires an adapter (72C).

Michaela Thank You for your help too.. :th3:

PH005
08-04-2011, 10:29pm
Bright Minds, so the saying goes. I have been pondering the same sort of purchase Mary Anne. Have you already got the MT-24 ? The MR 14 EX is the canon ring flash which you can also set to fire just one side or the other. Then there is the Sigma EM 140 ( a bit cheaper ) ring flash that can do the same as the canon. Honostly, it's as confusing as buying a lens. :confused013 I will eagerly await to see your work with a macro flash. :)

Mary Anne
08-04-2011, 11:31pm
No I dont have any of those macro flashes and the thought of buying one that price scares me a little.. I feel its more confusing than buying a lens.
You may be waiting a while even if I do get it, perhaps it will take me a while to work it out.
I just looked at the video on the Sigma EM 140 that looks interesting also, like you I may ponder a little longer :D

PH005
09-04-2011, 9:10am
Also Mary Anne, I read somewhere that the Cokin lens adaptors fit onto the Canon Macros. At a far cheaper price.

Mary Anne
09-04-2011, 10:39am
That's good to know too Thanks.

Kerro
09-04-2011, 6:42pm
Thanks Kerro that's very interesting.. I have thought about getting a cheaper one though they dont seem to have twin lites only the ring lites.
I need all the help I can get when it comes to lights, as I dont want to scare the bugs away like I do with my Speedlite sometimes.
That's great that you got all of those adapters and better still that you can use them on your Cokin filter set :th3:

Mary Anne I am back in Perth again next Wed and I am staying home for a change. Will have a play with my "cheapie" and
post the results if they come up to speed. I think it cost me less the $100 and as I mentioned turned out to be dual purpose.

Mary Anne
10-04-2011, 12:55am
Thanks Kerro I would really appreciate that. :th3:

Bennymiata
19-04-2011, 3:29pm
Or, you could save a lot of money and try one of these.
http://www.dinodirect.com/Canon-Spee...TZ-DRF14C.html

I have one, and it works very well, especially considering its price!

Mary Anne
19-04-2011, 4:00pm
Hi there.. Thanks anyway.. BTW your link does not work..

I have already got it , it came yesterday
You have misunderstood its not a ring flash I want its a twin flash and Canon are the only ones that make it.

PH005
19-04-2011, 10:07pm
Hi there.. Thanks anyway.. BTW your link does not work..

I have already got it , it came yesterday
You have misunderstood its not a ring flash I want its a twin flash and Canon are the only ones that make it.

Hi Mary Anne. Just wandering what the reason for you wanting the twin flash macro over the ring flash type.

Mary Anne
20-04-2011, 3:52pm
I just researched and read in different forums what it does and found it is the better one for me..
You can move things around and take the heads off and point them in different directions
I liked the way you can move the lights in or out on different notches and up and down around the ring.
I tried it out this morning and I like it, mind you Paul I have a lot of learning to do yet