PDA

View Full Version : Canon 5d MK2 first impressions

Dwarak
08-04-2011, 8:32am
I got my first full frame camera i also have a 7d as well. I am both happy and disappointed with it. The first thing is noticed is that I missed the 7d 19 point auto focus system like the 1d mark 3 has and the different screens like single point AF etc. This is a big drawback for me. I find it useful for macro work esp. the zone AF in Al SERVO mode is great gor moving objects. I have decided to use the 7d for macro work so there is less to crop.

I am happy with the noise performance of the 5d mk2 I intend to do a lot of night shooting and timescapes so this is useful esp. predawn and after sunset.

Another point is the external flash can only be used on board without a trigger cannot use it like the 7d but I do not see that as a major drawback for me as I do not do a lot of portrait or studio work.

I guess these are my first impressions of the 5D MARK 2 at a glance cannot wait to use it this weekend.

Clubmanmc
08-04-2011, 9:06am
i had to weigh up all those points before i bought it

i find the 7 has its advantages over the 5 and vice versa...

the thing i like the most is that the 5 makes all my lenses different...!

i have a bag full of new lenses now

M

Gemini2261
08-04-2011, 9:07am
Looking forward to your review as I am tossing up between the 2...I keep swinging back to the 7D :)

jjphoto
08-04-2011, 9:31am
Looking forward to your review as I am tossing up between the 2...I keep swinging back to the 7D :)

The "InterWeb" is full of reviews, comments, opinions, comparisons etc about these cameras. At the end of the day they are different and you either want a Full Frame camera or a crop camera. That really is a big difference because it completely changes the way your lenses work and the results you get. The 5D2 has plenty of disadvantages, IMHO, but it is still FF and this has it's advantages (and disavantages depending on your needs).

JJ

Dwarak
08-04-2011, 9:40am

It just depends on what you want to use the camera for really while the 7d as I have used it I see it as a more versatile camera while the 5d mark 2 is prob better for landscapes esp in low light conditions and handles noise better the 7d has more features like moving the auto focus points through the view finder the autofocus points are bigger as well than the 5d mk 2 which is good in 7d. I personally think the 7d is more fun like it is packed with a lot of gizmos which you will love if you like fiddleing around with the settings.

Bear Dale
08-04-2011, 10:17am
I'd be using the 5DMKII for macro over the 7D.

Michaela
08-04-2011, 10:21am
I spent a while trying to figure out whether I wanted a 7D or a 5D MkII and eventually chose the 7D because it best suited what I like to shoot. Recently, though, I had a chance to pick up a 5D MkII second hand and thought it would be a good opportunity to try out full frame without spending a huge amount of money. So, after using both I've found that I love the 7D - it's far and away my favourite camera and always my first choice to grab - however, as others have said, the 5D excels for landscapes (I gave it a good workout at my workshop in Albany) and low light work at high ISOs (though I've found autofocus in low light can be a bit sucky :rolleyes:). The 5D has also given me a new enthusiasm for the 24-105mm L lens - they are a match made in heaven! :D

Gemini2261
08-04-2011, 10:41am
It just depends on what you want to use the camera for really while the 7d as I have used it I see it as a more versatile camera while the 5d mark 2 is prob better for landscapes esp in low light conditions and handles noise better the 7d has more features like moving the auto focus points through the view finder the autofocus points are bigger as well than the 5d mk 2 which is good in 7d. I personally think the 7d is more fun like it is packed with a lot of gizmos which you will love if you like fiddleing around with the settings.

I find I use the LCD viewfinder to focus & I turn on the long exposure noise reduction now this should solve the noise probs in long exp ???

I think I will probably end up getting the 7D because of a very complicated documentation by Tony explaining in detail why the 7D is best for birds & if you need to crop at all. I have to say I have not made a mistake yet by following his advice :)

arubaato
08-04-2011, 10:49am
I got my 5D mark 2 sometime ago. After that I've complained about the AF and the slow fps. But I still love it. I hardly ever do action photography, so the AF and fps is no big deal. I also cannot afford having a 5D2 and a 7D at the same time. I think the 5D2 is an excellent camera, and will fulfill my digital work for many years to come.

Overtime I have learnt that there is no such thing as a perfect camera, or perfect camera bag for that matter. So I think one has to compromise on something.

Dwarak
08-04-2011, 11:58am
I got my 5D mark 2 sometime ago. After that I've complained about the AF and the slow fps. But I still love it. I hardly ever do action photography, so the AF and fps is no big deal. I also cannot afford having a 5D2 and a 7D at the same time. I think the 5D2 is an excellent camera, and will fulfill my digital work for many years to come.

Overtime I have learnt that there is no such thing as a perfect camera, or perfect camera bag for that matter. So I think one has to compromise on something.

I can second your thoughts. Having both these bodies is great and I know I do not need to upgrade for a while.

Dwarak
08-04-2011, 12:02pm
I find I use the LCD viewfinder to focus & I turn on the long exposure noise reduction now this should solve the noise probs in long exp ???

I think I will probably end up getting the 7D because of a very complicated documentation by Tony explaining in detail why the 7D is best for birds & if you need to crop at all. I have to say I have not made a mistake yet by following his advice :)

Interesting you should mention long exposure noise reduction there is a downside to that you will have to wait For the same time as the long exposure for the camera to add a black frame on your exposure. But if you shoot raw then you will not need to turn on this function. I find this not very useful as I shoot timelaps and landscapes where light changes constantly and do not want to waste time waiting for the camera to process just one frame.

Gemini2261
08-04-2011, 12:06pm
Interesting you should mention long exposure noise reduction there is a downside to that you will have to wait For the same time as the long exposure for the camera to add a black frame on your exposure. But if you shoot raw then you will not need to turn on this function. I find this not very useful as I shoot timelaps and landscapes where light changes constantly and do not want to waste time waiting for the camera to process just one frame.

Yes, I have been experimenting with it & have found the time delay significant as it becomes darker :th3:

Clubmanmc
08-04-2011, 3:37pm

SORRY BUT I THINK I HAVE IT

16-35 2.8
24-70 2.8
70-200 2.8

with the versatility of the 1.6x crop in the 7D and the fast focusing (only thing better would be a 1d IV but you sacrafice the 1.6x for 1.3x)
and the 5D II which has great low light, excelent resolution and is full frame...

i tend to have the 24-70 on the 7D and swap the 16-35 and 70-200 on the 5D that way the lens and camera combos overlap each other...

having used a 20/30/40D camera for so long, the focus system in the 5 mimics it (albiet with 6 extra focus points in the centre for assist purposes only) so i am comfortable using it in a sports style situation yeah the 4 fps is a little slow... but still quite capable if using just the centre spot...

they both use the same battery, so i have 6 to cover the 2 cameras... (both have grips)

throw in a 85 f1.8 extension tubes and a few flashes and i am pretty happy with my kit...

Gemini, if you were in Qld, id let you play with the two bodies side by side, a little more than just in the store as its good to have a few clicks doing what you usually do with your current body)

yes if i had the money there would be a 1D Iv and a 1Ds IV

but i am VERY happy with my selections

M

Clubmanmc
08-04-2011, 3:40pm

Hey Dwarak, the screen does not go black when doing the noise reduction, it is not a blank image it takes, it is software driven, the camera will allow you to keep taking images, this happened to me in the field, and i lost the images as i was unsure what the camera was doing... so i turned it off, it kept the red light on and had a message on the screen telling me to wait... thought it was a bad card, so i swapped cards still did it...

tested it later on my desk and it works ok

M

Gemini2261
08-04-2011, 3:44pm
SORRY BUT I THINK I HAVE IT

16-35 2.8
24-70 2.8
70-200 2.8

with the versatility of the 1.6x crop in the 7D and the fast focusing (only thing better would be a 1d IV but you sacrafice the 1.6x for 1.3x)
and the 5D II which has great low light, excelent resolution and is full frame...

i tend to have the 24-70 on the 7D and swap the 16-35 and 70-200 on the 5D that way the lens and camera combos overlap each other...

having used a 20/30/40D camera for so long, the focus system in the 5 mimics it (albiet with 6 extra focus points in the centre for assist purposes only) so i am comfortable using it in a sports style situation yeah the 4 fps is a little slow... but still quite capable if using just the centre spot...

they both use the same battery, so i have 6 to cover the 2 cameras... (both have grips)

throw in a 85 f1.8 extension tubes and a few flashes and i am pretty happy with my kit...

Gemini, if you were in Qld, id let you play with the two bodies side by side, a little more than just in the store as its good to have a few clicks doing what you usually do with your current body)

yes if i had the money there would be a 1D Iv and a 1Ds IV

but i am VERY happy with my selections

M

Thank's M, I've been out for a drive & now I'm back to reviewing the 5D MK II AGAIN & maybe keep my 500D, I hate to lose the use of the 10-22mm...I love that lens! OMG I can see I will be researching again all night :Doh:

pmack
08-04-2011, 8:07pm
I am both happy and disappointed with it. The first thing is noticed is that I missed the 7d 19 point auto focus system like the 1d mark 3 has
surely you knew the camera did not have a great autofocus system before you got it?
I honestly can't see how you can feel disapointed if you actually knew what you were buying.

And I can't make sense of the issue with "the external flash can only be used on board without trigger"
The main advantage the 7D has over the 5D in regards to flash is that it can use the pop up flash to trigger your external canon flash remotely, but that's not what you appear to be describing.
If you want to trigger a flash remotely when using the 5D, you get the proper hardware.

pmack
08-04-2011, 8:18pm
Hey Dwarak, the screen does not go black when doing the noise reduction, it is not a blank image it takes, it is software driven, the camera will allow you to keep taking images, this happened to me in the field, and i lost the images as i was unsure what the camera was doing... so i turned it off, it kept the red light on and had a message on the screen telling me to wait... thought it was a bad card, so i swapped cards still did it...

tested it later on my desk and it works ok

M

no, the camera DOES take a dark frame shot if the "long exposure noise reduction" is turned on. C.Fn II 1
You cannot take another shot while it is taking this shot (unless you turn off the camera and cancel the opeartion)
You are probably talking about High "ISO speed noise reduction" C.Fn II 2, a completely different thing, and something that is only done to the jpeg, not the raw.

Dwarak
09-04-2011, 12:53pm
Thank's M, I've been out for a drive & now I'm back to reviewing the 5D MK II AGAIN & maybe keep my 500D, I hate to lose the use of the 10-22mm...I love that lens! OMG I can see I will be researching again all night :Doh:

16mm will be equal to the 10mm on a 1*6 crop body so you will not miss it but cannot use the 10-22 on the 5d mk2 body. I used to use a 500d before nice cam but no weather sealing at all which was a no no for me

James Axford
09-04-2011, 5:33pm
5dmk2 is the best all round camera i think. i upgraded from the 1dsmk2 to it, and can't fault it. i think it still surpasses most peoples needs who have it, probably including mine, but i'm not about to down grade lol
I've taken just about everything with this camera, from small birds to super fast ice hockey, architecture and of course landscapes and people. it does everything well.
Lets see if the MK3 is going to be worth the dollars.

Tricky
09-04-2011, 7:15pm
Interesting debate... I've been toying with buying a 5D mk2 as a replacement for my 7D, but I reckon there's quite a few things I'd miss (AF, 1.6x). I guess the answer is to have both a 5D mk2 and a 7D, though its an exy option... maybe a future 5D3 will do both jobs... can't decide...

Dwarak
09-04-2011, 10:18pm
. maybe a future 5D3 will do both jobs... can't decide...[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what I was hoping for but seeing the recient canon cameras coming out which were lighter and smaller and comprimising on features is not a good sign maybe they were just meant for entry level SLR's and not for the higher end

vk2gwk
11-04-2011, 8:26am
I have looked very closely at the 7D since it came out and am tempted. Maybe sell my 50D body and get a 7D for that. But I'll never do away with my 5D MkII.... The only minus of that camera is the auto-focus system. It's not bad but not as good as the 7D. The low noise performance is a lot better than most other cameras in the Canon line and the FF - 21 Mpx gives you great cropping possibilities. Because of the 21 Mpx sensor it is a bit slower than most crop sensor camera in continuous shooting (3.9 frames per sec. compared to the 6.3 f/sec of the 50D and 8 f/sec of the 7D) but I never considered that a handicap. I do a fair bit of surfer shooting on the beach and get the shots I want most of the time.

I also looked at the 1 series but I don't like the size of them..... I have a grip for my 5D MKII which I put on when I need it but it is off the camera most of the time as it makes it a lot bulkier and the 1 series is IMHO not a camera you "walk around" with while on holidays.
So all in all: I love my 5D2 but am aware of its limitations.

NGP
14-04-2011, 9:02pm
I got my first full frame camera i also have a 7d as well. I am both happy and disappointed with it. The first thing is noticed is that I missed the 7d 19 point auto focus system like the 1d mark 3 has and the different screens like single point AF etc. This is a big drawback for me. I find it useful for macro work esp. the zone AF in Al SERVO mode is great gor moving objects. I have decided to use the 7d for macro work so there is less to crop.

Another point is the external flash can only be used on board without a trigger cannot use it like the 7d but I do not see that as a major drawback for me as I do not do a lot of portrait or studio work.

why not just manual focus with live-view? you can zoom in 10x and then much more accurate focus by hand.. auto-focus for macro isn't the best idea especially when shooting shallow DOF.. the cam has a harder time locking focus on small areas under such conditions anyway..

and the flash issue is easily cured by using an ST-E2 or other wireless triggers..

Dwarak
15-04-2011, 7:58pm
why not just manual focus with live-view? you can zoom in 10x and then much more accurate focus by hand.. auto-focus for macro isn't the best idea especially when shooting shallow DOF.. the cam has a harder time locking focus on small areas under such conditions anyway..

and the flash issue is easily cured by using an ST-E2 or other wireless triggers..

Well it depends on the subject size I agree with very small subjects and if taking shots of more than 1:1 then manual focus is best but for things like butterfly which are much larger moving the focus points is much easier in the 7d this can be done when focusing itself rather than having to go to the menu to change the focus point. I use the single point AF which is great for macro work. The other thing is that macro with a 7d due to the cropped sensor you do not have the crop too much of the shot.

Nige
16-04-2011, 1:16pm
I have a 5D MK II and a 40D. While both cameras are different, I still reach every time for the 5D MK II. It might also have something in the way that I use the cameras. 90% of the time I only use center focus points, so having X number of auto focus points does very little to me. The 40D is faster ( 6.5 fps) compared to the slow 5D (3.5 fps), however if you are shooting landscapes it makes very little difference as they dont tend move that quickly. If you are an action photographer you may find the fps limiting.

I agree with other sentiments that lenses change on a different body. That is very true, I find the 70-200mm is a lot more usable on the 5D. While I have the 16 - 35 mm, I still tend to use the 24-105 mm or the 100mm f 2.8 L macro. The macro on the 40D is stellar, the macros on the 5D is amazing.

Do you really need full frame? Do really want to upgrade your lenses to make sure they work with the 5D? I had the feeling I would go full frame and pretty much all the lenses I own are compatible, I did purposely buy this way so I only had to buy once. The 16 - 35 mm is great but so is the 10-22 mm. If you don't need full frame why go to the 5D ?

Cheers
-Nigel