PDA

View Full Version : Awesome video on Ansel Adams, with his son, in his house/darkroom

ElectricImages
07-04-2011, 11:16am
I've been watching this great video on Ansel Adams - he had an incredibly simple darkroom but was truly a master of capture and processing. Inspiring, recommended viewing!

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2011/04/ansel-adams-darkroom-little-more-than-photographers-have-now/

ElectricImages
07-04-2011, 11:31am
Some memorable quotes:

"I was seven years old, we we coming back to Santa Fe... and Ansel saw this image, he pulled the car off the road... he wanted his exposure meter, but he couldn't find it. So he knew that the luminance of the moon was 250 foot candles, and from that, he derived the exposure." O_o

or this one (paraphrasing):

"The negative was the score; but he regarded the print as the performance."

Tell THAT to anyone who thinks post-processing isn't important in creating a great photographic image! :)

Analog6
07-04-2011, 12:51pm
Adams always maintained that it was the printing process that was the most important part. And I noticed that both the interviewer and Adams son commented on how his early prints were 'lighter' than ones produced from the same negs later in his life. I often go back and re-edit and get a totally different 'feel'.

Those who adamantly maintain 'you must get it right in camera' have lost sight of this point, I think.