PDA

View Full Version : Enable all PLUGINS for Smart Objects- here's how! (PSCS5 & 4)

Cam Scott
07-04-2011, 6:09am
Ever wished you could have access to all your plugins when using Smart Objects, thus having Smart Filters? Here's how!

You may have noticed that when you open or convert a layer in Photoshop CS4/5 to a smart object, that the available filters are limited. The following JavaScript located in your PS application folder was brought to my attention while reading Photoshop CS4 for Photographers- the Ultimate Workshop by Martin Evening and Jeff Schewe. [pg.216]

Make sure PS is not running.

For PSCS5 Mac:
Applications>Adobe Photoshop CS5>Scripting>Sample Scripts>JavaScript>EnableAllPluginsForSmartFilters.jsx

Double click on this script and the adobe Script manager will run. You don't have to do anything other than close the manager once it's run. Start PS and open a file and convert a layer to Smart Object, hold cmd and click on the layer to select it, and go up to your filters menu. You should now have access to all filters! Finally!

For PSCS4 Mac:
Applications>Adobe Photoshop CS4>Scripting Guide>Sample Scripts>JavaScript>EnableAllPluginsForSmartFilters.jsx

You may get a Script Alert dialog for CS4, in which case simply click 'YES'.

For PC: I haven't checked, however I'm sure you will be able to locate the JavaScript in a similar manner, within the Photoshop CS4/5 programs folder.

I hope you may find this a useful tip! I certainly have.

Cheers,
Cam.

DAdeGroot
08-04-2011, 10:46pm
Is there any reason NOT to do this ? Why isn't it enabled by default ?

Cam Scott
09-04-2011, 8:39am
Fantastic question! My sceptical reason may be that Adobe would probably address this in CS6 when it's released!
Got to leave a few things in the basket.

I would never had found this had I not read the book I mentioned, and always up until now rasterized from SO's to be able to use filters…… ergh!
This has been a fantastic find in my case.

As far as reasons NOT to do it, I guess the only thing I can think of is if you're system is somehow compromised, particularly PC's through the use of 'illegal' software; running a script MAY, induce issues on your system. (we should all be aware by now of embedded scripts etc…. not for this thread, and using illegal copies of software is not acceptable.)
Having said that, with legit systems there is no reasons I can think of.

It's just one of those hidden tips that are for the picking should we wish to utilise them.

Cam.

ricktas
09-04-2011, 9:05am
I just checked both my machines (CS5 Windows 7/64 bit) and it is already enabled in both. The Filepath is : Program Files / Adobe / Photoshop CS5 / Scripting / Sample Scripts / JavaScript

wanderer51
13-04-2011, 10:26pm
For PC people it is also available...same location. As well, it is available for CS3:
Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS3/Scripting Guide/Sample Scripts/JavaScript/EnableAllPluginsForSmartFilters.jsx