PDA

View Full Version : Camera Courses

BecM
06-04-2011, 2:20pm
Firstly I apologise if this question has been asked a million times already, I have looked for the answer but cannot find it.

I own a canon 50D and never, ever use the automatic button so I am familiar with the settings on my camera but would not say I am that knowledgeable. I want to do a photography course but there are millions in Sydney. Does anyone have any recommendations on schools - or is this question just too broad?

Wayne
06-04-2011, 3:12pm
Take a look at the beginners section of this site and the new library, there will be plenty to learn, and it's free.

BecM
06-04-2011, 3:17pm
Thanks Wayne, I have looked and tried to read but I learn best by getting 'out there' and having somebody show me.

ricktas
06-04-2011, 3:42pm
if 'getting out there' is the way to go, check out the AP member meets in your area, and go along to one, or organise one. The members here have a wealth of knowledge and can teach you a lot.

The other thing I see is you have been a member for almost 2 years, you can have learnt a huge amount in that time by joining in here on AP. I would say the only thing keeping you are the NEW stage, is you. Get out there, post some photos etc, and your photography will improve.

la lumiere
06-04-2011, 3:42pm
Try checking the Site advertisers and Sponsors section of the General Forum I have seen courses advertised there.:)

BecM
06-04-2011, 3:54pm
Yes Rick you are right :) I have only had my big camera for 8 months (meaning I have only been on manual for 8 months). I had forgotten about the AP members get together's - will go and have a look now.

Thank you, sometimes one needs a swift kick in life (though I do prefer chocolate).

La Lumiere, I am off to look at the Sponsors section, thank you, I was sort of hoping for a recommendation though.

OzzieTraveller
07-04-2011, 8:43am
G'day Bec

You ask about "Sydney" ... chase up your local Adult Community College for evening non-vocational classes [non-v = no tests to bother with]
Many places have 6-8 week courses in basic photo techniques, have 8 - 16 students, you get a book of some sort & they have excursions etc for about $200 -ish

Before hitting the road with my Travelling School of Photography, I did this type of college work [photog amongst other subjects] since the mid 70s; I have had well over 3 thousand people thru my classes, with a student-completion rate never less than 97%.

PM me if you want more info
Regards, Phil

Ionica
07-04-2011, 9:35am
Some of the TAFE colleges also offer courses, vocational and non-vocational. It may be worth checking in your area.