PDA

View Full Version : Eye-Fi + 1DMkIII - can I make the photo upload to my computer on the fly directly?

andylo
06-04-2011, 12:27pm
I am reading up the info related to Eye-Fi card and I like to idea.... but it seems HAS TO HAS a network/lan connection before you can transfer the photo to the computer....

Just wonder if anyone have used it? My idea is I am taking photo on-site, while it is automatically upload to the computer to Lightroom or something without me worry about it. And I can instantly see the quality of photo taken on my laptop and do my adjustment accordingly.

Adrian Fischer
06-04-2011, 3:25pm
You have to have a local wifi network. You have the idea right. Thats what its for. I will do both jpg and raw but raw is often impracticle because of file size and time taken to upload.

ElectricImages
06-04-2011, 3:31pm
You have to have a local wifi network. You have the idea right. Thats what its for. I will do both jpg and raw but raw is often impracticle because of file size and time taken to upload.

I think it depends on the model. I have a first generation Eye-Fi card, and it only uploads JPEGs, not RAW files.

andylo
06-04-2011, 3:36pm
Where/How do you guys get yours? It looks like I have to go thru their official website to get one? No distributor in Australia?

ElectricImages
06-04-2011, 3:47pm
I got mine before they realised I was in Australia. Their official position is that Eye-Fi cards are/were unsupported overseas, so they will not sell them here. If you want one, you'll need to grey import one, or get a friend to buy one in the USA and send it over here. :(

Adrian Fischer
06-04-2011, 3:52pm
I dont have one :( I often shoot tethered using camera control 2 witha a 5 metre usb extension (boosted or some such word...its a special usb cable). I only have a very small studio and find the cable to work well. If you were in a larger studio then maybe the wifi might be ok but the speed of raw over wifi might be a disadvantage. Hopefully someone here will have some real life experience with one and offer it up.

Google is your friend:
ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Eye-Fi-Connect-X2-4GB-Wireless-SDHC-Memory-Card-/270728329986?pt=AU_Electronics_Memory_Cards&hash=item3f08aa7b02
(am I allowed to do that?)

JM Tran
06-04-2011, 7:09pm
In a professional sense I wouldnt be using these cards, as the upload speed is way too slow over wifi for raw files, or even jpegs. Firewire or at least USB2 is my preferred choice.

andylo
07-04-2011, 12:01am
JM, can you please elaborate a little more about 1D MkIII and Firewire/USB2?

I know it can connect to a Canon's wireless device - but I have been told that is very low in performance and very high in price....

Cheach
07-04-2011, 9:59am
you can also get USB - Cat5 extender to extend your USB cable to ~50 meters.