PDA

View Full Version : What information do you look for?

Dave Clifford
06-04-2011, 8:41am
If you were reading your favorite photography related magazine and you happen to have an interest in motorsport, what sort of information / questions would you be looking to be answered. i.e. an article about one of the leading photographers in that field, what would you ask them or would like them to explain/discuss in the article?

As some of you know, I am undertaking a freelance writers course (and Bachelor of Comms starts in May) and this question has to do with one of the assignments so any help, comments would be greatly appreciated.

Kym
06-04-2011, 8:52am
As a photographer I'd like to know the technical set-up (Camera, Lens, Exposure etc), plus the techniques used (panning, lighting and so forth).
Petrol heads will want to know about the chic in the photo then the size of the engine etc. :D

Dave Clifford
06-04-2011, 9:55am
As a photographer I'd like to know the technical set-up (Camera, Lens, Exposure etc), plus the techniques used (panning, lighting and so forth).
Petrol heads will want to know about the chic in the photo then the size of the engine etc. :D

Thanks Kym,

Just the sort of information I am looking for, I am working on a pitch to a magazine and realised it is not about what 'I' would like to know but should be about what others would like to 'Learn' from reading the article (should it happen to go ahead).

fillum
06-04-2011, 11:12am
David I think it depends on your target audience. An article for amateurs should (imo) be different to an article for emerging pros. As an amateur I'd prefer an article to show how to get good shots using basic equipment (say a 70-300 on a D3000 or similar), and give tips on good locations and angles to shoot from when you don't have accreditation/passes. I'll usually quickly browse an article before reading it, and if I find it tells me I need (for example) a 300/2.8 on a D3s then it is likely to lose me at that point.

[Obviously if aimed at emerging pros you'd be describing pro gear, how to get accreditation, that sort of thing].

Edit: Of course, there is no reason the article can't cover aspects for both groups

Cheers.

Dave Clifford
06-04-2011, 11:26am
David I think it depends on your target audience. An article for amateurs should (imo) be different to an article for emerging pros. As an amateur I'd prefer an article to show how to get good shots using basic equipment (say a 70-300 on a D3000 or similar), and give tips on good locations and angles to shoot from when you don't have accreditation/passes. I'll usually quickly browse an article before reading it, and if I find it tells me I need (for example) a 300/2.8 on a D3s then it is likely to lose me at that point.

[Obviously if aimed at emerging pros you'd be describing pro gear, how to get accreditation, that sort of thing].

Edit: Of course, there is no reason the article can't cover aspects for both groups

Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback Phil,

I was thinking along the lines of the ameature angle as well but from a pro's perspective and obtain their tips/suggestions and recommendations.

dylbai
08-04-2011, 1:27am
Hey there David. I am very much interested in motorsports, particularly the formula 1. I watch every race on the tv, and if the budget permits, watch them live. And recently, I think mainly due to the rapidly dropping prices of DSLRs, I have taken a liking to photography as well. I am an absolute newbie and I have tried taking photographs of those monster f1 cars. Suffice it to say that I have failed on most pictures. I'm also using an entry level camera with entry level lens. With that, my most pressing concern and the thing I want to know is: is it possible to get the job done with entry level gadgets?

Dave Clifford
08-04-2011, 8:35am
Hey there David. I am very much interested in motorsports, particularly the formula 1. I watch every race on the tv, and if the budget permits, watch them live. And recently, I think mainly due to the rapidly dropping prices of DSLRs, I have taken a liking to photography as well. I am an absolute newbie and I have tried taking photographs of those monster f1 cars. Suffice it to say that I have failed on most pictures. I'm also using an entry level camera with entry level lens. With that, my most pressing concern and the thing I want to know is: is it possible to get the job done with entry level gadgets?

Thanks Mate,

to answer your question in one word, yes it is possible. I am still working on the articles angle, but I think (as mentioned in this thread) that it should be about using entry level cameras and lenses and getting the most out of them.

Dave Clifford
08-04-2011, 2:20pm
I would like to thank those that have contributed ideas/questions to this question.

I have received the editorial guidelines and will be preparing the submission (Pitch) to the editor over the weekend.