PDA

View Full Version : A Game of Thrones!

Dylan & Marianne
05-04-2011, 9:15pm
being a huge fan of George RR Martin's books, I'm very eagerly awaiting the series that is coming out later this month on HBO.
Also, alot of it was filmed around Scotland and the UK so I'll be watching for familiar scenes hehe

preview here : (MA rated)
http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/index.html#/game-of-thrones/about/video/exclusive-preview.html/eNrjcmbO0CzLTEnNd8xLzKksyUx2zs8rSa0oUc-PSYEJBSSmp-ol5qYy5zMXsjGyMXIyMrJJJ5aW5BfkJFbalhSVpgIAXbkXOA==

steve munro
06-04-2011, 6:30am
Looks good - can always count on HBO for some high production values; my only problem with it is Sean Bean :D Have you seen Boardwalk Empire yet?
Steve

Dylan & Marianne
06-04-2011, 8:33am
dunno about boardwalk empire - but he was recently in a grizzly movie black death! will look it up later lol

steve munro
06-04-2011, 11:44am
Bean's not in Boardwalk Empire but it is a HBO series, awesome :D
Steve

geoffsta
06-04-2011, 3:28pm
Not long finished reading the last book. Next to come out in November. The only thing I dislike about the book, is that everytime you get to like a character, he kills them off...
My Son started me on these books after just finished reading "The Wheel Of Time" Which still has books to come out. And he was worried I was going to read "Lord Of The Rings" for the fifteenth time.
A 15 minute preview can be found by doing a search in google for "notablog" and it's pretty good. The 10 episode series starts on the 17th of April in America on HBO, which we don't have.

A book one can love and hate at the same time.

Dylan & Marianne
06-04-2011, 4:42pm
geoff - did you know that Dance with Dragons is coming out on July 12!!! I can't wait - I felt like the 4th book was just filler telling about the southern parts. I hope George RR Martin doesn't die before he finishes it off - Jordan died before he could finish the series but luckily had left plans for the final book.

Speaking of deaths, I must say, the 2 major ones that happened in book 3 caught me completely off guard lol

geoffsta
06-04-2011, 4:56pm
No, I didn't know about the 12th of July. I thought it would be later in the year.
The Death of one of the major characters in the first book threw me. It saddened me that, that character doesn't seem to last long, as he did in LOTR. Also in the first book.
And when the little ones were hanging on the wall, I nearly threw the book at my son and said I wasn't going to read anymore.
The return of Mum got me. Although a little pale, but still in there.
I don't like the idea of going back in time in the next book. although I do want to know what happened to the dwarf and the handicapped kid, and his bastard brother. (Names not mentioned cause I don't want to ruin it for others)

As for "Wheel of Time" The only thing that annoyed me, was how Jordan discribed each character. As if a fashion guru. You'd be desperate to see what happens next, and you'd have to read 5 pages of how a woman looked, and the size of her breasts. But it does have a good story line. And what happens to Matt in the last book, really threw me. I'm a bit of a Perrin fan though in that series.

rowdy23
06-04-2011, 5:30pm
dunno about boardwalk empire - but he was recently in a grizzly movie black death! will look it up later lol

do not..... i repeat .. do not waste your time with black death !!

c grade

Dylan & Marianne
07-04-2011, 10:38am
lol I watched black death and came out of it thinking ......the point being? ....

Geoff "Nynaeve fiddling with her braid" got to me after a while too lol
I'm really looking forward to the undead bits if the preview's first scene are anything to go by - pretty chilling

geoffsta
07-04-2011, 3:03pm
Looks like a no holes barred type of series. If the series sticks to the book, it should be good.
Love to know what Bran is up to though..:confused013

CherylB
10-04-2011, 11:09am
This is something to look forward to! I am really wondering how it will pan out though, considering George R.R. Martin hasn't written the last two books of the series yet! Book 5 is out in July this year after about 4 or 5 years of "promises" that it would be finished "soon". Going on the trends of delays between each of the books, each one takes longer than the previous one, so book 6 should be out in about 2020! And the final one about 2035! Of course, Martin will be dead by then, so he'll have to nominate someone to write it for him when he's on his final breaths. The new writer will then decide that there's too much material for a final book, so it will be split into 3! Which means an even longer wait! :rolleyes:

You might detect a certain amount of cynicism here ...... because I don't "get" authors who go all out on a book series and then decide to start on (multiple) new projects instead of finishing what they have started.

Robert Jordan - the Wheel of Time! Died before the "final" book. Brian Sanderson took over the writing and decided to make it 3 books because of too much material. So, we're still waiting for the "final" final book! Mind you, I prefer Sanderson's writing by far! He's much easier to read than Jordan.

Isobelle Carmody - the Obernewtyn series. I believe it was originally aimed at the younger readers - ie. teens; well, I was younger when I started reading this series! First book in the "5" book series was published in 1987! Each book got progressively longer and though the gap was about 5 years between each, we got to book 4 in 2000 - and then it all stopped! Interminable wait for the "final" book, and then finally, in 2008 it came out! And it wasn't actually until I got to the end that I found out that ....... it wasn't the last book after all! Latest I heard, there are at least 2 more books!!! Who knows when!

Anyway, back to Game of Thrones. If the HBO series goes well, we can only hope it will give Martin the impetus needed to finish off the series!

geoffsta
10-04-2011, 12:24pm
We are a weird mob, are we not. We strive to take photo's of things that are non violent, alive and vibrant. but we read things of death and destruction. :confused013

CherylB
10-04-2011, 2:23pm
Ah, but Geoff ..... far better reading about it than acting it out! ;)

Dylan & Marianne
10-04-2011, 3:34pm
lol, yea a good escape - and ... I want to be George RR Martin's health advisor - he NEEDS to stay alive to finish it off but he doesn't look or sound very heatlhy :(

geoffsta
10-04-2011, 5:01pm
Ah, Yes.... But is there an ending. The way characters come and go you just never know. We all might be dead before the book ends.

geoffsta
11-04-2011, 7:42am
This has given me an idea for a competition to create a scene from a members favorite book. It would have to be over a month for members to get them in.
It would have to be an outside scene, non candid. So the member has to create the scene, not just take a snap of an area and say it's from a certain book.

Any thoughts. :confused013

Dylan & Marianne
11-04-2011, 1:42pm
very nice thought geoff - I think I'd have a ton from Scotland and Wester Ross in particular that would fit in with George RR Martin's books :)

geoffsta
11-04-2011, 9:38pm
Most of the shots I've seen of Scotland would be great as the theme. But could you get a couple of mates to dress up so that you could photoshop them into the scene. Like a dwarf without a nose with a blonde patting him on the head, or a person thats pure white with bright blue eyes. Or even a direwolf running through the snow. :D

Dylan & Marianne
14-04-2011, 11:32am
I could find someone light up a sword for tHoros or stannis lol - actually, someone has done that in the portrait forum I think

geoffsta
14-04-2011, 7:49pm
Since the start of this thread I've been looking for sites around my area that I could use to create my image... Snowing up at Mt Hotham at the moment.. 1 1/2 hours drive away. Might go up there on Sunday. Have to work Saturday though. I'd think I'd have trouble finding people with longish hair, a beard and wearing a bear skin jumper with a hoodie:D

Dylan & Marianne
15-04-2011, 9:59pm
try finding a dwarf with a big scar lol!

geoffsta
18-04-2011, 12:31pm
My son is downloading the first part of the 10 part season :D

Dylan & Marianne
18-04-2011, 2:14pm
lol - it won't be here in australia until July but I am soooo going to be occupied tonight :P

geoffsta
18-04-2011, 7:30pm
Very true to the book. So far anyway.

Dylan & Marianne
19-04-2011, 7:00am
very full on too - didin't expect it to be as gritty as that but good :)

geoffsta
19-04-2011, 3:00pm
Yeh.... Good and true to the book. Very good character choices I thought as well. Although I thought there would have been more with the direwolf pups, and the bonding.
Can't wait until next week now.

Dylan & Marianne
19-04-2011, 3:03pm
hehe likewise
I loved seeing the direwolf pups but strangely because I know that they are husky pups and look quite like my husky when he was growing up !
He turned his head a little when the pups were making noises at that scene :P

geoffsta
25-04-2011, 9:29pm
Season 1 episode 2 "The Kings Road" :th3: :th3: :th3: :th3: :th3:

Still sticking to the book. Except for a little scene. (See it to find out)

Dylan & Marianne
02-05-2011, 9:06pm
just got back from holiday - rushing to check out what I've missed out on!!!

nightbringer
08-05-2011, 3:30pm
I've been finding reading the books is a lot of help in understanding the TV series - some of it just happens so fast, and the books really give it the added depth. Love who they cast to play as Tyrion though!

Dylan & Marianne
08-05-2011, 8:13pm
hehe - tyrion and arya were my favourite chapters in the book and not suprisingly the series too!

nightbringer
10-05-2011, 12:45am
I'm a fan of Jon as well, I always like stories where someone seemingly undeserving is appointed to a position of authority and then proceeds to disappoint everyone's expectations and excel at his role.

geoffsta
10-05-2011, 5:51am
Ep 4 is out tonight. It should get more interesting from here on in...

Dylan & Marianne
10-05-2011, 7:38am
Just watched it - very interesting again- I love the ending! Now that was word for word from the book done very well :)
They picked a pretty good Sam and it's good to see some actual acting from Daeny

tcdev
10-05-2011, 9:31am
Hmmm... interesting... I don't generally read fantasy (the farthest I've strayed from SciFi is Anne McCaffrey) but after looking at the HBO preview, I might be interested...

Dylan & Marianne
10-05-2011, 4:19pm
you don't know what you might be getting into tc :P definitely not LOTR style fantasy - think anyone in the fellowship could die and everyone of the fellowship has alternative motives and some of the nazgul even have some good motives and it would be closer to the ballpark !

geoffsta
10-05-2011, 9:52pm
Dylan. You are right about Sam. Played very well. Well.. Tis is were it all gets interesting. Can't wait till next week.
I have read that HBO are happy enough for a second season. Hip Hip Horray. :D

nightbringer
11-05-2011, 1:49am
The Mountain never had a real shape in my head, so it was interesting to get an idea of what someone thinks he looks like. Also, the Hound looked different to what I imagined him to be. It was all up, a really good ep in my opinion.

Dylan & Marianne
11-05-2011, 6:11am
Love to see how they're going to adapt the battle of blackwater rush for the screen !

tcdev
11-05-2011, 7:52am
you don't know what you might be getting into tc :P definitely not LOTR style fantasy - think anyone in the fellowship could die and everyone of the fellowship has alternative motives and some of the nazgul even have some good motives and it would be closer to the ballpark !

Too late! Asked my colleague if he'd read it and he has all 4 books, and will be bringing the 1st into work today so I can borrow it. I've also now got the 1st 4 episodes of the HBO special...

geoffsta
11-05-2011, 11:30am
Be prepared to throw the books at the wall, when things happen that will suprise you. Just don't forget to pick them back up again and keep reading.
I did it twice, and swore I wouldn't keep reading. But the suspence drew me back to it.

tcdev
16-05-2011, 1:08am
Thanks for the heads-up Geoff! Still only a handful of pages into it; now I know that the HBO trailer was only the prologue. Unfortunately I've always been a slow reader, so it's going to take me quite a while to get through it with the limited time I have. No doubt all 10 episodes will have been screened before I finish the book! :O

Dylan & Marianne
16-05-2011, 1:13pm
my brother has the books (I lent them to him) but he's liking the series so much that he doesn't want any spoilers so he's avoiding them - probably won't lose too much from not reading as the rendition is pretty faithful so far - GO episode 5 tonight!!

Dylan & Marianne
26-05-2011, 1:52pm
continues to be amazing but now I've seen episode 7 I have 2 weeks to wait for new content :(
PS. there has only been one scene I've thought completely over the top and unecessary for ratings boosting and that was early in episode 7 - wonder what you guys think??

geoffsta
26-05-2011, 3:20pm
I haven't seen 7 yet, I'll wait till next Tuesday to watch it in HD.
I thought in 6 that it would end with the kings death. :( But the crowning of the Dragon was good. Didn't like him anyway.
It's still sticking to the book except for about two places so far. I'll just have to wait and see.
Geoff.

tcdev
27-05-2011, 8:48am
I don't think I should read this thread any more - I've already inadvertantly read a few spoliers. :eek:

Can anyone tell me - do the 10 HBO episodes cover only the 1st book? Or do I need to read the 2nd (and others) before I start watching?

Dylan & Marianne
27-05-2011, 10:14am
They only cover the first book TC - 2nd season has already been signed up for though - really looking forward to it lol
blame geoff for the spoilers lol!

geoffsta
27-05-2011, 10:21am
Ooops.... :confused013... Don't worry tcdev, keep reading, there is plenty in the book that will keep you interested. :th3:

antongorlin
27-05-2011, 6:10pm
I hope I won't be beaten by fans, but...
those books left the worse aftertaste ever.
I must admit the author has good language, good "shape" of everything, it's interesting to read and all. And I felt excited.
but it's all so disgusting. violent, rude and brutal that I won't read the 4th book.
nor would I give it to my gf to read or advice anyone.
so my feelings a kind of mixed here.
my best heros were Jon and Daenerys.

I honestly tried to watch the movie.
the scenery is good
the actors are mainly good (except by dislike of Sean Bean). the best choise of actors is for Jon, Arya and Benjamin Strak.
but when I reached...well...how to say without spoiling...thing with the wolf in 2nd part I decided to stay away from it :)

Dylan & Marianne
27-05-2011, 6:23pm
each to their own Anton - I for one and loving the adaptation to screen with the exception of some really unecessary nudity at times (especially episode 7)
I'm also not liking the fact that the direwolves have little role to play .....
If the season goes farther, I really hope that they skip over alot book 4's content - and I hope book 5 is an improvement , or this series may be headed down the Wheel of Time path of freefall after book 5.

tcdev
28-05-2011, 12:12am
Thanks for the heads-up Dylan. I'm short for time atm but really look forward to the short respites I have to sit down and get through another chapter or two! Can't wait to finish the 1st book so I can dive into the series.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the... err... shall we say, extremes. It's all human nature and you need to explore both ends of the spectrum IMHO.

geoffsta
08-06-2011, 5:49am
Episode 7... Very true to book. :th3:

Dylan & Marianne
08-06-2011, 8:18pm
Especially the ending hey geoff ! line for line
As for episode 8, that was GRR Martin's written episode and it was just jam packed with AWESOME!

geoffsta
08-06-2011, 8:41pm
I think the next few may be look aways.

Dylan & Marianne
13-06-2011, 4:26pm
and screens around the country exploded at the end of episode 9! wow....very much like I pictured it from the readin

geoffsta
13-06-2011, 5:40pm
Lucky I watched it on my sons TV :th3:

tcdev
13-06-2011, 9:42pm
Argghh.. busting to watch the series... about 2/3 way thru the book and all hell has broken loose! :)

Tjfrnds
13-06-2011, 9:58pm
I never read the books, but am completely addicted to the tv series!

Tommo224
16-06-2011, 9:33am
A couple of my friends are really in to the show, looking in depth in anything they can haha.. They're eager to get me in to it, so I'll be watching it this weekend most likely!

tcdev
29-06-2011, 2:20am
Just finished the 1st book and now can finally watch the series! :party6: I must say that I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone's comments on here about the book; @Geoff the only thing stopping me from throwing the book at the wall was that it wasn't my book! But as much as the deaths of some of my favourite characters disappointed me, it was the suspense that drew me back. And I wasn't liking the Daenerys plot line at all, and even thought it started to get a little silly towards the end, but can see now where that is going in later books in the series?!?

I've already started on the 2nd book... :D

geoffsta
29-06-2011, 5:14am
And yet, still more book throwing action to come.
Sit back, relax, and as Chopper Reed says "have a big cup of Harden The **** Up" :lol: (**** = 4 letter expletive)

tcdev
29-06-2011, 6:54am
Yeah, I'm not surprised. George seems to like killing off what would ordinarily be 'main' characters (maybe he gets bored with them?). I can understand when writers kill off maybe one central character near the end of a story, but I'd be surprised if anyone who started the series ends up alive by the end of it?!? Usually that only happens when series span several generations...

Dylan & Marianne
29-06-2011, 12:32pm
lol TC - expect more carnage - noone is safe!
Enjoy the first season!, I found the Daenerys plotline alot stronger in the tv series than in the books - every time I came across her chapters on first read, I'd kind of groan that I'd have to read another 20 pages but now she's good :)

geoffsta
29-06-2011, 12:44pm
The biggest book throw is in book 2. :gl: ( hows that for suspence)

Dylan & Marianne
29-06-2011, 1:10pm
book2?? no way lol! how about halfway through book3!!! where there is also a huge cheer too!

geoffsta
29-06-2011, 3:57pm
Book 3 was almost the last straw. Almost as wild as a Rhino with it's nuts in a vice. :eek:

tcdev
30-06-2011, 6:28am
I found the Daenerys plotline alot stronger in the tv series than in the books - every time I came across her chapters on first read, I'd kind of groan that I'd have to read another 20 pages but now she's good :)
It wasn't until the end of the 1st book that I could see the potential in her story. Hopefully they'll develop that in later books; I didn't find much 'fantasy' in the 1st book.

Had a very quick sneak peak at episode 1 last night (when I should've been getting to bed). Doesn't hurt that she's pretty easy on the eye either! ;)

Dylan & Marianne
11-07-2011, 6:21am
Since book 5 is hitting the shelves tomorrow , I suspect I might be going into temporary retirement from this forum for a little while hehee
Can't wait, though I have heard rumours of a MAJOR spoiler - on the level of all those book throwing previous ones ....arghhh, hope it's just some fanciful talk!

geoffsta
11-07-2011, 7:00am
I wonder how hard it's going to be to get. I'll more than likely have to wait until my son finishes reading it.:confused013

nightbringer
13-07-2011, 12:32pm
I'm loving ripping my way through book 5 at the moment ... now if only things would hurry up and get to where I think things are going ...

Dylan & Marianne
13-07-2011, 9:09pm
I'm sharing it with my wife - we're both at about the page 200 mark - so far , i reckon it's better than book 4 but not as good as the first 3 for me

Dylan & Marianne
22-07-2011, 12:25pm
parts of season 2 to be filmed in ......Iceland!!! can't wait to see which bits - probably the Iron Islands?

geoffsta
22-07-2011, 2:25pm
Still haven't got the book yet.. Coming in the mail I hope.

Doninoz
22-07-2011, 9:46pm
Actually, I've seen all the Game of Throne episodes up to Episode 10, "Fire & Blood" which I saw on 21st June, now its stopped! RIPPER of a series!!!

Papou
24-07-2011, 5:34am
Okay, okay:) where do i find episode 8!!!!????? watched seven and next step is 9 and dont want to go there before watching 8:)..
thanks in advance...

Dylan & Marianne
24-07-2011, 9:51am
On the verge of finishing book 5 - knowing the HUGE spoiler end - I would rate the books 3,2,1,5,4 at this stage......I reckon Martin needs a bit of a tighter editor! Otherwise I really enjoyed the journey yet again

Papou
24-07-2011, 8:56pm
Tell me ?? are the books worth reading after watching the series or should i say part of the series:)??..

Papou
24-07-2011, 8:58pm
And while are awaiting the next series of the episodes , whos watched "Justified"??..Another ripper series or at least i think it is..

Dylan & Marianne
15-08-2011, 11:52am
Spoilers included, but this send up was pretty hilarious :P

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/08/04/game-thrones-rpg-nintendo/

geoffsta
15-08-2011, 12:07pm
:lol: Pure evil :angry0:

Dylan & Marianne
15-08-2011, 1:16pm
DDR rip off was funny lol - AA xXX AABAB - lady on top for the win!

geoffsta
16-09-2011, 7:54pm
Being crook for such a long time has enabled me to read "A Dance With Dragons" at a comfortable pace. I find this last book delves much further into the characters, bringing a few suprises. Although I'm only a bit over a third of the way through it. :th3:

Dylan & Marianne
16-09-2011, 11:03pm
Pad your walls geoff :)

ricktas
17-09-2011, 6:41am
Posting links to torrent files or sites where illegal copies of tv shows can be obtained is not on. We have removed some posts from this thread that included such links.

the site rules

4] Information regarding copyright infringement may neither be requested nor discussed. This relates specifically to requests for software copyright infringement, discussion or promotion of software copyright infringement, or requesting/providing access to serial number generation software, or download information regarding potential copyright infringement of software, but is not limited to these.

[10] Members are not to discuss/promote or otherwise disseminate information regarding any illegal activity. Discussion of any illegal activities – be they criminal or civil – is unacceptable.

Any member posting links to such sites/files in this thread after this warning, will be banned.

stoogest
21-09-2011, 11:00pm
I quite enjoyed the books, but if I'd done my research and realised that the series hadn't been finished I wouldn't have bothered starting!! I find it really annoying knowing that there's literally years to go before finding out how it all ends.

You think I'd learn my lesson, but at the moment I'm in a holding pattern on four series; "Fire and Ice", "The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant", "The Wheel of Time" and "The Kingkiller Chronicle". All great series, but I really want to be able to read the last 1 or 2 books in each series without waiting between releases!

As an aside, I got sooo p'd off by the number of times "Nynaeve sniffed"...!! :D

Dylan & Marianne
23-09-2011, 7:51pm
lol andrew - at least we know the wheel of time is about to finish even if written by a different author ( I stopped reading at book 8 though because of the issues like Nynaeve tugging at her braid etc)
I think the series on TV might be a good incentive for Mr Martin to actually finish the books! If it keeps going and they get close to catching him up, I'm sure there would be a huge incentive to finish it off - providing its not a botch rushed job

geoffsta
25-09-2011, 9:57pm
As my bookmark descends near the end of the book, it reflects on the pages it has past.
The bookmark has met the Starks, lannisters and even Snow. And others too numerous to mention.
It's been through dry arid lands, muddy fields and ice and snow up to its knees.
It has seen wolves, direwolves and other exotic creatures.
It has gone through friendship, lust, love, loyalty and hate.
It has met woman with pride, woman in royalty and woman of the night.
It has seen wars, unity and cruelty.
It has seen men who don't deserve to die, and men that don't deserve to live.
As it churns through the last 100 pages or so. It will get even more tattered, more torn and look more used.
The padded walls have not yet been used, but the bookmark is ready to fly.
A lot can happen in 100 pages or so, as the bookmark soldiers through the remnants of the book.

For those just starting, or a couple of books in. Keep reading, or your bookmark will not forgive you.

Dylan & Marianne
26-09-2011, 6:22am
I think I will re read this again :)
I read it in the course of a week and in between , while Marianne had it, I had the audiobook on while doing other things lol.
Let me know what you think of the last 100 pages when you're done!

geoffsta
27-09-2011, 9:56pm
Well.... Just got an email from my bookmark. It come all the way from China I think :lol:
WOW.. wasn't expecting that... Took me an hour and a half to go to sleep last night, I was that P'd off.
Anyway. Sadly finished the book today. I suppose I have to wait another year or so for the next one.
The last book of Wheel of Time should be out in November. I can then finish that.

Dylan & Marianne
27-09-2011, 11:13pm
pretty sure all is not as it seems - at least I hope so! (if the prologue has anything to do with THAT chapter)

Dylan & Marianne
01-03-2012, 3:29pm
I'm excited about April 1 dunno about the rest of you :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEMaM72SLFs&feature=related

mechawombat
01-03-2012, 9:05pm
I thought it was a cruel early april fools joke TBH but yes DEEPLY EXCITED

Tjfrnds
02-03-2012, 12:07am
Woohoo!! Been waiting for ages for it's return!!

cupic
04-03-2012, 12:21am
By far the best series of any series in a long time

cheers

Dylan & Marianne
03-04-2012, 4:08pm
My spoiler free opinion of the first episode of season 2 : mostly awesome, some concerns! Everything was set up for the rest of the season but some scenes seem a little stale compared to the book reading and some changes I don't agree with - but thats always going to happen - now I will spend 6 days every week waiting for hte next episode lol