PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone teach photography?

ricstew
05-04-2011, 2:45pm
Basic dslr courses......I mean here on the forum not at tech or whatever they call it now lol
cheers
Jan

William
05-04-2011, 3:10pm
Deleted by me , Maybe a Site rule breach

ricktas
05-04-2011, 3:12pm
Only members who are site advertisers can reply, as anyone else cannot promote their courses without being a paid site advertiser. After all, the site advertisers are paying and then someone else gets the same publicity for free. This includes via PM, which is monitored for keywords that breach the site rules.

Kym
05-04-2011, 4:08pm
80-90% of photographic course material is available here in the Library.
If you follow the learning plan you have covered most of what any commercial (basic) course will cover.

However, some people learn better in a classroom, so a course can be of great value.

One on one workshops are another option where you pick up clues in specific situations like portraiture and lighting.

See: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?13499-Ausphotography-Site-Advertisers

So match the learning style with the various options to get the best outcome.

ricktas
05-04-2011, 4:46pm
Agree with Kym. Workshops will probably be a better option, weekend ones etc, where they are focused on a particular genre. These rely on you understanding the basics of how your camera works, which you can learn from AP, other sites, books etc.

ricstew
05-04-2011, 5:39pm
Sorry guys I wanted to find out if you followed a particular curriculum or just made it up as you went along lol.......I am trying to teach a couple of friends how to get out of auto mode......its easy to say just turn the dial and play with it but I wondered if there was a better way......I am not allowed to hit em over the head with a wet fish.....

ricktas
05-04-2011, 5:49pm
tell em to join AP and use the NTP. :D

ricstew
05-04-2011, 6:50pm
I have Ric.......over and over and over ........it would be way easier.......

OzzieTraveller
06-04-2011, 8:28am
G'day Ricstew

As [I thought] is well known, I offer photo workshops thru the eastern states ... and my banner ads turn up here regularly
While the comments above [Kym, Rick etc] are quite okay for those of us who are a) confident and b) already have a 'certain' level of knowledge ... many people do enjoy a certain level of instruction / hand holding to get them going

From a student response dated 3 April 2011 ... "there is so much to be gained from both the instructor & other students..." ~ outlines one of the basic differences between the "reading a book / doing a tutorial" vs hearing the methodology / seeing a concept presented to you ... and then going out and doing it yourself

We [AP] and others have meet ups and get togethers so that we can share ideas and knowledge ... a workshop is identical, tho in a more structured mode and with a course outline that choreographs students efforts in a certain direction ie: the theme of the workshop

Hope this makes sense ...
Regards, Phil

Kym
06-04-2011, 9:07am
I use these notes when doing a presentation to Rotary clubs and the like http://www.ausphotography.net.au/staff/Kym/GettingTheMostFromYourCompactCamera.pdf

The notes are a hand-out and I do a 30 minute free form chat with a bunch of my images and explain the really basic concepts of composition (rule of 1/3), light and DoF - which is all you can cover in 30-40 minutes.

ricstew
07-04-2011, 6:40am
I have been doing this very informally........using our lunch hours as we work in the same building. The 'students' have 450d's which have never come off auto and kit len's ( I am the only Pentax driver I know in town! ) A couple of handouts explaining the DOF rule of thirds etc. Instant homework.......read your manual!!! Now I have a couple of other people wishing to join us, they work in the building opposite lol and have seen our efforts in the car park and adjoining park. So I wondered if there was a more structured way of doing it or if other people had had success keeping things very informal. At this stage its a lot of fun and I like that they now are game enough to turn a few dials and experiment a bit.
Ozzie I believe you are correct in that its a confidence thing......a bit of hand holding, very very slight direction and off they go into the world pushing buttons all the way! The difference between doing a tute on the computer or reading a book to having someone show you which button to push and then say now you do it is huge!
I like your handout Kym and I have written one very similar but more pertaining to dslr's. Its the understanding how your camera works that they need to get to....... before being concerned with the various styles of photography. If you cant work out which button to push or dial to twirl its very difficult to make the photo look how you see it ( if that makes sense lol )
Once again thanks for your help guys.....its a confidence thing!
cheers
Jan

ricktas
07-04-2011, 6:55am
Jan, I would start charging them, even $5.00 per person, per session (cheaper than buying lunch). At present you are doing it for free, and therefore they have no incentive to learn or pay attention. Start charging them a small amount and you put a value on not only your time and knowledge, but their pockets suddenly tell them to pay attention, cause the quicker they learn, the cheaper it will be.

OzzieTraveller
07-04-2011, 8:09am
G'day Jan

It sounds like your "simple" sessions for mates has grown into something quite different
If you are now considering that you are "offering professional skills" then good on you - and do it professionally

I suggest that in the 1st instance, pop into your local book shop and chase up someone else's "learn to use your camera" book for maybe $25 - and get a few copies
Create some of your own samples (like depth of field) and print some A4s showing these things, then
Charge your "students" $50 for your time & a copy of the book

PM me if you'd like more info & maybe some materials
Regards, Phil

ricstew
11-04-2011, 6:19pm
Thanks guys. I have had a think about this and I think its best to keep it at the playing together level for the time being. They can buy me lunch! I cant offer professional skills so I think offering encouragement is the way to go.
cheers
Jan

[ kane ]
12-04-2011, 4:56pm
Dont forget about us
http://www.digitalphotographycourses.com.au/

Learn to improve your photography with help from our friendly, dedicated and passionate photographers.

We offer hands on beginners photography courses as well as more advanced photography workshops and courses aimed at those looking to improve their skills and apply their craft to new subjects.

geoffsta
12-04-2011, 5:49pm
Do as I did with a couple of my friends. take them out with the camera, show them what you have learnt. Introduce them to some of the members that live close to you. Organize a meetup and invite them along. Anything to get them excited about learning.

sealhead
24-04-2011, 10:44am
My money's on TAFE if your friends are lucky enough to be close by one. I have completed a couple of evening TAFE photography courses and find the classroom environment (there are plenty of field trips) coupled with a qualified and experienced teacher is a great way to take you out of the "point and shoot" arena and progress you into the "think, adjust, point and shoot" photographer.

The course essentially covered the photography basics through to manipulation with Photoshop and was a great stepping stone to the next level. First course was 4 hrs one night a week for six months ($230), second course was more advanced but for 12 months ($460).