PDA

View Full Version : In reality - using my flash

Shelley
05-04-2011, 2:17pm
Just voicing what I am doing re: a photoshoot and hoping to use my flash off camera. I am attending a makeup/hair glamour function (for young people) through school activity and was asked to take some pictures. No stress or expectations is placed upon me for this, as i often do this for the school where I work. I enjoy it as I am asked to do some weird and wonderful shoots at times.

I love using my lights and confident in doing that, flash not so good. These type of functions are fast paced and I don't have time to mess around changing things.

I am thinking of placing my 580exII on a stand and have next to my camera and take photos. How can I diffuse my flash easily, or should I diffuse it (is it a big difference if I do?? - do you recommend it?). I thought I would move around in this manner, as I always read your flash should be off camera. I won't be using an umbrella or softbox (too big and not ideal for this type of shoot) - not staying in one spot.

They are hoping to score some images for promotional purposes.

Any suggestions or tips appreciated.

Adrian Fischer
05-04-2011, 3:11pm
the flash with no difusion will be harsh and unflattering for make up and hair shots. If you are already using a stand...an umbrella, bounce or shoot thru, isnt going to much more of an imposition. What about bouncing off the roof or other walls?

ElectricImages
05-04-2011, 3:42pm
I agree with Adrian. If you're in a fast-paced environment, however, a light stand can really slow you down, as well as getting in the way of people rushing around. There's nothing worse than having someone knock over your $600 Speedlite... except for someone tripping over your lighting stand and ending up in casualty. :p

For the scenario you've described, I'd be tempted to keep the speedlite on camera, and bounce it off walls or ceiling to create diffusion and wrap; as well as using existing light and a fast lens (at least f/2.8, but a 1.8 would be better XD).

Shelley
05-04-2011, 4:11pm
Thanks Adrian - fair comment.

ElectricImages - good advice. I will be in a room that is full and fast paced environment - bouncing of the wall/ceiling is an option. Will have a practice at home before I do the shoot in a couple of days.