PDA

View Full Version : Sawmiller's reserve - portrait and sunset meet. 17/04/11

NikonNellie
04-04-2011, 5:19pm
As our first planned portrait shoot did not eventuate due to bad weather we will try again but at a different location. This meet will consist of portait shooting using natural light and reflectors and then a sunset shoot of an abandoned barge close to the shore at Sawmiller's Reserve at McMahon's Point.

Few of North Sydney's bushland reserves are as pleasantly surprising as Sawmiller Reserve, a mix of shaded grass and regenerated bushland developed in the 1980s on the site of the last operating sawmill on the shores of Port Jackson. The reserve contains the concrete engine beds of the mill's log bandsaw and the remains of a wrecked hopper barge. The quiet, secluded park offers picnic facilities with views across Port Jackson towards Balmain, Darling Harbour and the city.

We can make this a social event as well if we want to bring along some nibblies/food and wine, chairs/rugs, etc.

PLEASE POST IN THIS THREAD IF YOU ARE COMING TO THIS MEET. :D

peterb666
04-04-2011, 6:28pm
I am probably in.

What's the parking like/cost? I always get the impression they hate cars in the North Sydney area or treat them like money machines.

NikonNellie
04-04-2011, 9:04pm
I had a look on the Nth Sydney Council website and there is no mention of parking metres/fees - so who knows Peter? :umm:

AmPhot
05-04-2011, 5:20pm
Sounds interesting, put me down as a tentative at the moment, though normally by Sunday afternoons I'm not overly motivated to go anywhere. :P Going by Google maps either French St or West Cres St would be the best places to try and park ?

raccoon
05-04-2011, 5:50pm
I will check with Mrs Raccoon, but we should be ok for this..
Nibbles sound good to me

Darey
05-04-2011, 5:53pm
I will most likely be attending but not too sure if the boss can make it.

NikonNellie
05-04-2011, 6:56pm
Has anybody got a young relative that may want to model for us? I have asked my son and he is checking his schedule - unfortunately his girlfriend is in Perth on that day. Otherwise we will have to resort to using each other for models which I think could be a heap of fun especially after a few drinks. :tog: :gumby:

sunset
06-04-2011, 2:04pm
Has anybody got a young relative that may want to model for us?

Narelle you know you only have to ask & I'm there :D or maybe an even younger model with a 6 year old?

Seriously I should be able to make this meet. Thanks for organising us Narelle!

BecM
06-04-2011, 4:23pm
Hi Narelle,

I would love to come along!! I have never been to a meet before and am very much an amateur with a LOT to learn but will be there with bells on.

Bec :)

NikonNellie
06-04-2011, 6:32pm
You will be most welcomed to come along Bec - we average about one meet a month, so keep an eye on the NSW Clendar and the AP Meets Forum.

I will post some more info next week. Can all those people who are coming and have a reflector please bring it along. :D

virgal_tracy
07-04-2011, 11:14am
I'd like to make it but it will depend on what time the meet starts and what time soccer finishes. I have a reflector that I can bring if I can make it.

judybee
07-04-2011, 2:20pm
I will have to see Narelle, we are going to the Easter Show that day.
What time were you thinking?

NikonNellie
07-04-2011, 8:32pm
I was thinking that we could meet around 2:30 - 3:00pm and do the portrait shoot until say 4:30 - 5:00pm then do the sunset shoot if it's good colour/cloud. If its not a good sunset we could just have the drinks and nibbles and watch the sun go down then if we were really keen we could do some light painting of the wreck. I am open to other suggestions though. :D

raccoon
07-04-2011, 8:40pm
I was thinking that we could meet around 2:30 - 3:00pm and do the portrait shoot until say 4:30 - 5:00pm then do the sunset shoot if it's good colour/cloud. If its not a good sunset we could just have the drinks and nibbles and watch the sun go down then if we were really keen we could do some light painting of the wreck. I am open to other suggestions though. :D

Sounds like a good plan to me

triptych
07-04-2011, 8:46pm
I should be up for this one!!! Might see if I can rope my brother in to be a model, he is a bit alternative...

AmPhot
07-04-2011, 8:49pm
Sounds like a plan, I have a small reflector set I can bring as well. :)

NikonNellie
07-04-2011, 11:06pm
Great to hear you guys are coming.

Emma it would be great if your brother came to model for us but don't hassle him too much - some people are very shy about posing in public. I am surprised my son is even thinking about it - mind you he hasn't got back to me yet to say he is coming.

I can supply a 5 in 1 107cm(42") reflector on the day.

Scotty72
11-04-2011, 3:39pm
I will try to make it along - break out from my exile :)

Should be there 3-4 ish as I am 'doing lunch' with people.

Do you have an address?

NikonNellie
11-04-2011, 6:34pm
Here are the directions from the NS Council website:

Turn off Blues Point Road, North Sydney, take either French St or West Crescent St and park; or park at the top of Munro st and take the winding steps down to Sawmillers Reserve.

Any other queries will have to wait for an answer until Thursday - I'm off to Summerland Point for a couple of days. :music05:

peterb666
11-04-2011, 7:12pm
Enjoy your holiday Narelle. :th3:

judybee
12-04-2011, 6:55pm
Looks like I'm in !!
I've got a reflector as well, that I will bring.

NikonNellie
14-04-2011, 12:45pm
Just got back from my short trip away. My son finally got in touch with me and said that he will model for us! Lets hope we get some beautiful weather for the portrait shoot and then some clouds rolling in for the sunset shots. Looking forward to this shoot - should be a lot of fun. :D

Photophil2010
16-04-2011, 8:48pm
I would like to join you on a shoot sometime in the future.
Is it right that they predict rain whenever there is a meet scheduled?lol.
I hope you get to enjoy some fine weather this time.
All the best.

NikonNellie
16-04-2011, 11:12pm
I would like to join you on a shoot sometime in the future.
Is it right that they predict rain whenever there is a meet scheduled?lol.
I hope you get to enjoy some fine weather this time.
All the best.

It certainly seems that way Phil - I think I am jinxed at the moment as our last portrait shoot was cancelled due to bad weather as well. Let's hope it all clears up overnight. :crossed:

sunset
17-04-2011, 11:00am
So are you still planning to get there for 2.30/3pm? I might be a bit later than that but I'll see you there at some point.

NikonNellie
17-04-2011, 11:23am
Judy is picking me up at 2:15pm so we should be there around 3pm Ness.

DON'T FORGET TO BRING YOUR NIBBLES, CHAIRS AND DRINKS EVERYONE, along with your tripod, remote release cable, wide angle lens as well as your portrait lens/es, any props you might like to give a go, reflector if you said you were bringing one.

TotalPanic
17-04-2011, 8:47pm
How did it go? Looking forward to the photos.

GK

sunset
17-04-2011, 11:03pm
Good to catch up as always & weather was great too!

peterb666
17-04-2011, 11:08pm
A great afternoon/evening for all. Nice to see a couple of new faces too (not that there is anything wrong with the old ones).

BecM
18-04-2011, 7:17am
Jo and I had a really good time - so thank you. I cannot believe how much I came away with and the patience that was shown. Looking forward to the next meet now :)

judybee
18-04-2011, 7:35am
Jo and I had a really good time - so thank you. I cannot believe how much I came away with and the patience that was shown. Looking forward to the next meet now :)

it was nice to meet you too and we look forward to seeing you again next time.:)

NikonNellie
18-04-2011, 9:06am
Had a great time yesterday. Hansome looking model wasn't he - must have inherited his mother's good looks. :D
Pity I missed the sunset because I was trying to find a darn toilet.

raccoon
18-04-2011, 9:09am

A pleasure, you and Jo are allways more than welcome..:th3:

sunset
18-04-2011, 10:55am
Had a great time yesterday. Hansome looking model wasn't he - must have inherited his mother's good looks. :D

Hey, what about the other model who has her Mothers great looks too ;)

judybee
18-04-2011, 12:08pm
Hey, what about the other model who has her Mothers great looks too ;)

definately, she was a natural !!!

NikonNellie
18-04-2011, 1:34pm
Totally agree - we had two great looking models. A nice change from those glamour models we see all the time!

peterb666
18-04-2011, 2:27pm
I stuck my 3 favourite shots in my 52/2011. You can find them here. (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?74333-PeterB666-s-52-2011&p=827574#post827574)