PDA

View Full Version : Strobist Speedlite Setup & Shoot Workflow?

ElectricImages
02-04-2011, 10:05am
Hi all,

I've basically learned to use my off-camera flashes the hard way: trial and error. I have a process for trying to set up for a shoot somewhat quickly and professionally, but it still takes quite a while, so I was wondering if there was a faster or better way to set up my Speedlites for correct manual exposure.

Basically, I set up the hardware first: softboxes on brackets attached to lighting stands, and camera on tripod if I'm shooting with one. I set up the flashes last to conserve batteries in the flashes and tranceivers, and after turning everything on, I put my Speedlites at half-power (more or less, taking into account ambient light), set my exposure manually on camera, and take a test shot. I then adjust things around and take another test shot... etc. etc. until I'm happy with the exposure.

This can take quite a while. Is there a better way to estimate things to speed up my setup? Would it help if I got a light meter to trigger the flashes and measure the exposure?

All advice appreciated!

I @ M
02-04-2011, 10:38am
Buy a lightmeter and trigger your flash or multiple flashes one at a time with your trigger ( the yongnuo RF-602 units work perfectly in my experience ) to balance your lighting around your desired aperture.

JM Tran
02-04-2011, 10:46am
This can take quite a while. Is there a better way to estimate things to speed up my setup? Would it help if I got a light meter to trigger the flashes and measure the exposure?

Honestly, experience speeds up your set up:) everything takes practice and getting used to

its hard to give you a direct work flow as everyone does things differently. For example, I dont turn things off to save power, I leave my flashes and triggers on, they go to sleep when inactive, and I wake them up again when I press the shutter button. No need to manually go up to them to turn the on-off switch.

PaulMac
02-04-2011, 10:54am
I'm much the same as Jackie...... I'm pretty brutal with my equipment... if I bust something getting a great shot then so be it. Have you not tried ETTL??? I use it a lot unless my cam is getting fooled somehow. Much quicker than buggerising around with lightmeters and testing... i just use a speed light and hand held diffuser a lot.

ElectricImages
04-04-2011, 1:29pm
Thanks everyone for your responses.

I do have an ETTL (IR-based, rather than radio) transmitter as well; but I think shooting manual is ultimately going to provide the most control, so it's what I'm trying to master. XD

Well, I'll keep working on perfecting my set-ups, and I'll consider getting a light meter to trigger and measure the flashes if it keeps feeling a bit "hit and miss"! :)

reaction
08-04-2011, 1:25pm
would it be easier if you tested one light at a time, instead of all at 1/2 then adjust?

ElectricImages
08-04-2011, 2:16pm
would it be easier if you tested one light at a time, instead of all at 1/2 then adjust?

Hmmm... I don't think so, as some areas will have additive illumination (e.g. where both the key light and fill light strike the subject) so i would have to try to figure out how much to underexpose the first light by, to account for any additional lights...

But I'll give it a try that way and see. :) Nothing beats trial and error... except experience! XD