PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phones

wheellathe
01-04-2011, 10:53am
My mobile phone is on its last legs,what would be the best phone to get for storing photos to show to your mates ? cheers

Art Vandelay
01-04-2011, 11:03am
I'm far from an Apple fanboy, but after moving to an iphone from a succession of windows pda/phones over the years I wouldn't go back. Photos are great on them too.

PerfectPicture
01-04-2011, 11:14am
Get the New Huawei U8800 X5 Mobile phone, l just got it last week. its Android v2.2 Driven and Fully customisable. And ITS ROCKS! and 3.8" touch screen, 5 MP camera, etc, etc
l already have over 700+ apps on there, mostly are photography related and for FREE! You beauty!
l love it and others as well. Check out the youtube clips and info on it. and for $330 from Dick smiths as well :)

http://st2.gsmarena.com/vv/pics/huawei/huawei-ideos-x5-1.jpg

info on phone > here (http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_u8800_ideos_x5-3596.php)>

etherial
01-04-2011, 7:26pm
I would go with an Android powered phone. They have a full file structure you can go into and sort things as you like. You can also simply plug them in with a standard USB cable and access all the files as if it were a USB drive (ie simply go into windows and drag and drop your photos to where you want) no need to use iTunes or that rubbish. (Yes I do have iPhoney experience, my wife has one)

Screen on my HTC Desire is fantastic, plenty bright and looks sharp. There is now also a HTC Desire HD which is better again and a few other variants of HTC or Samsung which are darn good.

Old Skool
01-04-2011, 9:42pm
What is the battery life like on the Huawei U8800 X5?

PerfectPicture
02-04-2011, 7:31am
The battery lasts all day easily, but l cant stop playing with all the apps :) LOL didnt have that on the trusty old Nokia 6300, so loving all the functionality and usability of the Phone :)
and that darn Angry birds, l tell ya. get slightly hooked on that cr@p as well.
even with playing with all the apps all day, it can definately last the day no problems, obviously if l didnt drain the battery that way, it would last longer. Also has micro USB cable can charge from, so can charge anywhere with a USB cable. and of course easy transfer of data to and from the phone via the cxable. just simple drag and drop no itunes cr@p.

p.s. there a huge review and forum updates on Whirlpool just google whirlpool and u8800 to find it.

Cattleprod
02-04-2011, 7:46am
Another thumbs up for an Android device, love my HTC :th3:

PerfectPicture
02-04-2011, 8:47am
also to add .. (posted this on the other thread) ...
got my Android Smart phone last week and already Pimped it out with 700 Plus Apps and counting on it.
heaps of Photography apps on the Android market and FREE ! You beauty! l say.
got some Great Android apps like : PHOTOTOOLS,
Dof Calculator,
DOF Calc,
Photoaf Pro Panorama,
Camera Zoom v2.7,
Fast Burst camera App (takes 10 shots in rapid succession),
Pro Zoom 5x, app,
Photo Caddy (has heaps of helpful tips and suggestions on shooting various different scenes), etc etc.
just to name a few apps available on the Android system ... over 100,000+ Apps available.

phild
02-04-2011, 9:19am
I'm not an apple fan, but I have both an iPhone and pad. While I love them both I agree with the above comments on the file structure, it's a dogs breakfast.

That said transfer of images using apples dongle is as simple as could be, ....if.... it works with your camera ( there are numerous reports of the interface refusing to work)

Also the battery replacement cost of the iPhone battery is reported to be around $250, something to consider, particularly as the latest batteries are reputed to have circuitry to prevent DIY replacement.

Apple also has a habit of drip feeding minor upgrades as new models, the iPhone4 and ipad2 aren't all that significant upgrades on the existing models and in typical apple fashion some features are deliberately stripped from the older models in new OS updates (e.g. W-fi tethering on 3GS).

My next phone will be an Android based phone, removable battery, and a less restrictive marketing strategy.

MrChicken
02-04-2011, 2:09pm
I'm looking to replace an aging mobile pretty soon, and from the reviews, I'll be looking at either an HTC Desire or Samsung Galaxy S. Both are Android and have superb screens. Battery life is only good for about a day, but that's pretty common. Although I'm not an Apple fan, I honestly think these handsets are the standouts when stacked up against the iPhone. None of them are cheap, of course. Part of the dilemma is choosing a carrier as well. Vodafone tends to have the best deals, but it's network is truly apalling. Telstra has the best network but crappy deals! Sheesh!

PerfectPicture
03-04-2011, 5:12pm
Robert says the Andriod phone is the way to go, whichever style or taste your needs require.
they are definitely more customisable and upgradeable fireware and Operating systems and the apps market and stores have already exceeded 100,000 Apps and counting every single day. More then enough to Pimp out your phone the way you need it. and MOST of it is FREE .. You Beauty to that! :)

The Huawei U8800 X5 Phone for $330 From tricky Dickies or (dick smith's) is for it Outright is a Fantastic Price !
In regards to Plans l went on the TPG Mobile plan of $14.95 a month that including $700 worth of credits for the month and 1GB of DATA Flow on the optus network, and great thing NO CONTRACT and you dont have tobe a TPG customer either to enjoy it :) Excellent price and the reason l bought the phone this month was because of the very generous 1GB 3G network dataflow as well. Works fantastically and very fast dataflow as well.
Then when at home l use Home Wireless Network with WPA2 & TKIP Encryption (the highest encryption you can use on Wireless connection without a Radius Server).

The Desire HD is out now and Samsung Galaxy S Model Two is also coming out or already out, was originally looking at these phones but for $700-800+ outright it wasnt cost feasible and the Huawei U8800 X5 Phone offers the same features as well ovbiously much cheaper.
l have also purchased a 16 SDHC Class 10 Micro SDHC Card and already transferred over 15,000 MB of Apps and data, Photography Vidoes and PDF's over onto it. All run it without any problems and straight out of the box :D

Cheers

ashbox
03-04-2011, 9:39pm
i'm currently running the desire hd, reasonably happy with it...
only real problem is looking at the screen in direct sunlight, if i could live without mobile cameras etc, i'd quite happily get my nokia 8250 fixed and go back to that

Namus
04-04-2011, 9:53am
I would go with an Android powered phone. They have a full file structure you can go into and sort things as you like. You can also simply plug them in with a standard USB cable and access all the files as if it were a USB drive (ie simply go into windows and drag and drop your photos to where you want) no need to use iTunes or that rubbish. (Yes I do have iPhoney experience, my wife has one)

Screen on my HTC Desire is fantastic, plenty bright and looks sharp. There is now also a HTC Desire HD which is better again and a few other variants of HTC or Samsung which are darn good.

+1 to all of that; I've had a Desire myself since the end of last year and love it; Desire HD might be better if you're chasing something to display photos on etc as it has a bigger screen, but it also means having more phone to carry around - depends on your preferences I guess; regardless, highly recommend you at least head into a store and take a look at one if possible (I bought mine simply based on web reviews [sight unseen]) - do approve :th3: :th3:

dylbai
07-04-2011, 8:22pm
Me, I am an Apple fan. Lots of non-fans here but somehow involuntarily stuck with their apple gadgets.

I use iphoto on a macbook to manage the pictures from my camera. I use itunes to sync iphoto albums between my macbook and iphone. it works great. it is easy to use.

so to answer your question, I would go for iphone. and while you're at it, you might want to consider getting a mac (be it a macbook air, macbook pro or the white macbook or even an imac). throw in a time capsule in there too.

scotteffone
08-04-2011, 7:18pm
I use an iPhone and have no issues what so ever. I wirelessly sync my camera roll photos to iPhoto and have a great structure and workflow for my DSLR photos.

I personally think the issue some people have with the iPhone (or Apple in general) is a hang-over from windows where you micro-manage everything (files etc). My 2cents of course, but I haven't come across a single issue or problem with my iPhone that Android users have mentioned that actually affects me!

Best of luck with your phone purchase!

PS I have had a quick look, but is there a thread or forum for posting cell phone photos? I say this because it is amazing what they are capable of these days and it would be fun to see what users here can do when they are away from their babies!