PDA

View Full Version : Book Reviews

ricktas
22-12-2007, 2:53pm
Have you read a good book on Photography, Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or any other photographic related matter? How about writing a short review and placing it in this thread for other members to read.

Remember to include the book title, the authors name, the publisher and the ISBN so that other members can easily order a copy if they like your review.

Machew
22-12-2007, 6:04pm
I read a great book a few months ago. It's the National Geographic Photography Field Guide written by Peter K. Burian and Robert Caputo. It was both informative and interesting and covered a huge variety of topics. It also has plenty of mini biographies on National Geographic photographers. Here's a look at the contents:
Essential Basics
Getting started with photography
Composition
Cameras
Lenses
Light
Electronic flash and accessories
Film
Exposure and metering
Gear and maintenance
A World of Subjects
Weather
Sam Abell Art and Photojournalism
Landscapes
People
Jodi Cobb Beyond the Barriers
Annie Griffiths Belt Getting Close to People
Architecture
James L. Stanfield Making History Come Alive
Festivals, Parades and Sports
Michael Yamashita Capturing the Essence
Close-up Photography
Motion - stopping it, using it
David Alan Harvey Finding the Symbol
Evening and Night
William Albert Allard The Cultural Essay
Making Photographs Under Pressure
Underwater
David Doubilet Visual Impact Underwater
Animals
Chris Johns Working on Wild Turf
Aerials
Adventure
Michael Nichols Environmental Photojournalism
Computers and Photography
Useful Information
Preparing for travel
Displaying and organising your photographs

I think I'll be reading this one again very soon.
Here are the essential details:
Name: National Geographic Photography Field Guide
Authors: Peter K. Burian and Robert Caputo
Publisher: National Geographic Society
ISBN: 0-7922-7498-9

hoffy
22-12-2007, 9:25pm
Now, this one is probably not going to mean much to most of you.

But I cannot recommend enough the following book for A100 users:

The Complete Guide to Sony's A100 by Gary L Friedman.
ISBN 0-9790196-0-5
Available as either an ebook, black & white printed or colour printed from www.FriedmanArchives.com (http://www.FriedmanArchives.com)

Now, you might be thinking "another manual by a tech house", but this is where you are wrong. Gary has lived & breathed Minolta for a very long time & he knows the system in & out (for the un-initiated, Sony bought out the Minolta SLR arm & their camera's still contain a very visible Minolta influence from the ergonomics to the A mount lens mount)

the big plus for me is the de-mistifing of the wireless flash system. Very much looking foward to getting my new flash on the 25th (hint hint Santa!)

& please also note, Gary has just released his guide on the new A700. If you are a new owner of the new Sony, take my word, it would be well worth the effort of obtaining this book

Cheers
Ashley

Briancd
23-12-2007, 1:05pm
Title: Understanding Exposure - Revised Edition
Author: Bryan Peterson
Publisher: AMPHOTO Books
ISBN: 0-8174-6300-3

This is a must have book for those learning photography. The author provides an easy to understand explanation of how to get the best exposure. With plenty of examples of the many aspect of photgraphy from landscape, portrait and macro style. He explains how to make the most of light and shows examples of the use of frontlight, backlight and sidelight.

This is a book that I read over and over again to refresh my knowledge.

Briancd
23-12-2007, 1:06pm
The manual that came with the camera that you are using.

avian
30-12-2007, 7:43am
If you are into nature photography I could recommend:

Arthur Morris - The art of bird photography
Arthur Morris - The art of bird photography II (CD version only, no books)

His website is http://www.birdsasart.com appears to be a little full of himself when you read some of his comments and also heard from a few bird photographer friends from around the globe, but his images are enough to shut any critic up!!!!

He is my main inspiration for improving and leaerning. :)

Cal
04-01-2008, 9:56pm
The manual that came with the camera that you are using.

Thats soo funny... havent heard that one in a little while!

TassieSnapper
04-01-2008, 10:42pm
Landscape Photography
Peter Eastway
Lonely Planet
ISBN 1-74059-669-2

This is a cool book. It has the first few chapters on the basics of digital photography, stuff that you guys will all know about lots. But the third chapter of this book covers hints and tips for all the possible locations that you could shoot landscapes with full colour examples from Peter Eastways work and the lonely planet library. It includes the details of the shots which is also useful. I found that it is a cool book for ideas if you are stuck for something too shoot. Great book.

It covers the following landscape locations: Sunrise and sunset, skies, storms and bad weather, rainbows, lightning, mist and fog, rain, snow, mountains, deserts, the coast, forests, flora, details, rivers, waterfalls, lakes, reflections, twilight, night, silhouettes, aerials, famous places, human scale, buildings in the landscape.

There are also a few others in the lonely planet series on various topics - travel, people etc

vetna_gal1
16-03-2008, 1:47pm
the understanding exposure book how much is that n is it at libraries?

ricktas
16-03-2008, 3:12pm
the understanding exposure book how much is that n is it at libraries?

You should be able to search and find it using the info supplied above by Brian. I just went to www.dymocks.com.au and put the ISBN in, here is the result: http://www.dymocks.com.au/ProductDetails/ProductDetail.aspx?R=9780817463007&Producode=9780817463007

Roof
02-04-2008, 7:46am
I have "photoshop restoring and retouching" by Katrin Eisman ISBN 0789723182

Great book, It also has a website with images that are in the book so you can practise on the same samples as you have in the book http://www.digitalretouch.org/

just have a look at her website...highly recomended

IanB
21-08-2008, 6:02pm
Landscape Photography
Peter Eastway
Lonely Planet
ISBN 1-74059-669-2

Anything written by Peter Eastway is a good read. He also publishes several top mags; Better photography and better digital photography. His other mags/small books are Better photoshop techniques are really tops. Most of what I know has been learnt from these mags. Can be found at most newagents or write to po box 5455 chittaway nsw or ph 024388 6851 Newbies should try and get the first Better photoshop techniques; that one got me started.

Happy reading

Kym
29-08-2008, 8:40pm
Adobe Photoshop CS3 Book for Digital Photographers - Scott Kelby 496pp
Publisher: New Riders
Pub. Date: August 2007
ISBN-13: 9780321501912

I got a copy from Amazon about a month ago. As someone coming to grips with PS CS3 this book has been great. I use it as a reference now, but just as easy to skim through and get lots of ideas.

SK has a quirky writing style, but is very readable. Make sure you read the intro (aka. Q&A). SK provides additional downloads of sample images (so you can follow his examples exactly) and extra sections for chapters from www.scottkelbybooks.com/cs3book Check these downloads to get a feel for the rest of the book.

As an IT guy I know what works in a technical document and this is a really good one. The examples are really practical and have a good balance between theory and too much detail. SK uses a illustrated step by step explanation of what and why he does things. SK often gives alternate methods.

Rating 9/10. Highly recommended.

Table of Contents
CHAPTER 1
London Bridge
Bridge Essentials

CHAPTER 2
The Bridge
Advanced Bridge Techniques

CHAPTER 3
Raw Deal
Processing Your Images Using Camera Raw

CHAPTER 4
Resized
Resizing and Cropping Your Images

CHAPTER 5
Fit to Print
Step-by-Step Printing and Color Management

CHAPTER 6
Local Color
Color Correction Secrets

CHAPTER 7
Black & White World
How to Create Stunning B&W Images

CHAPTER 8
99 Problems
Dealing with Common Digital Image Problems

CHAPTER 9
Faces
Retouching Portraits

CHAPTER 10
Special Delivery
Special Effects for Photographers

CHAPTER 11
Look Sharp
Sharpening Techniques

CHAPTER 12
Best in Show
How to Show Your Work

CHAPTER 13
Working for a Livin’
My Step-by-Step Workflow

ricktas
29-08-2008, 8:43pm
I am a big Scott Kelby fan, I too like his writting style and the step-by-step instruction are easy to follow. I would recommend any book by him.

redders64
12-09-2008, 1:53pm
I have just got the "Understanding Exposure" book by Bryan Peterson and it is such a revelation. After reading it the penny has dropped on so many things, I am starting to feel in control of the final product instead of hit and miss like it was before. He makes it easy to understand and takes you through step by step. Highly Recommended!!

tailstrike
12-09-2008, 8:33pm
Two of the best wildlife photography books i have read to date and that i continually read and refer to are:

The essential guide to wildlife photography by Chris Weston and
Travel Photography: Wildlife by Andy Rouse

Both really informative and a great read they keep me inspired to get that one perfect shot

Cheers Allan

matilda
23-11-2008, 5:57am
ok this 'understanding exposure' book has got me intrigued. Will have to get my hands on a copy.

another book that I found a god send (esp when I was doing a lot of darkroom work) was:

Ansel Adams: Basic Techniques to photography
By John P. Schaefer

A good read with loads of info, great for any beginner and also handy to have as a quick reference guide.

Anne1958
09-02-2009, 1:33pm
this is such a great topic and thankyou to all for your input of book reviews, I have taken note of the details for some of them that I would like to buy.

edenconnell
09-02-2009, 2:03pm
I just bought "Canon EOS Digital Photography" by Serge Timacheff

Looks pretty good can't wait to read it all

kiwi
09-02-2009, 2:23pm
I am a big Scott Kelby fan, I too like his writting style and the step-by-step instruction are easy to follow. I would recommend any book by him.

Me too

I think his latest Adobe Lightroom2 book is outstanding. Simple to follow and navigate (the chapters echo LR's tabs) but packed with simple and advanced advice including practical step-by-step workflows

edenconnell
13-02-2009, 9:50am
I just bought "Canon EOS Digital Photography" by Serge Timacheff

Looks pretty good can't wait to read it all

This book has been a great starting point and had helped me to understand the basics of photography using my Canon equipment....

Its around 300 pages which I have read in almost three nights....

Nearly finished ......

Michael
16-02-2009, 3:35pm
Photoshop's Layers by Matt Kloskowski
Publisher: Peachpit Press
ISBN-13: 978-0-321-53416-3
Great book for anyone trying to get a handle on layers, easy to follow and are able to download the very same photo's as Matt and work along with him, make it so much easier to understand.

Lightroom 2 book for digital photographers by Scott Kelby
Publisher: New Riders
ISBN-13: 978-0-321-55556-4

Another great book with step by step instructions, didn't have a clue where to start with Lightroom when I first got it but as others have said Scott has a very easy to understand way of tutoring.

Just waiting for his version of CS4 to be delivered now.

Kym
07-09-2009, 10:50am
Mastering Digital Photography by Michael Freeman
Hardcover 640 pages; 24.2 x 21.4 x 4.6 cm; 2.1kgs; 2000 colour illustrations
Publisher: ILEX ISBN-10: 1905814429 ISBN-13: 978-1905814428
Prices from AU$40 to AU$98

From the fly sheet:

This comprehensive volume is the fruit of a long and uniquely distinguished photographic career. Micheal Freeman has long been recognised as being not only a unique talent behind the viewfinder, but a gifted and supremely clear communicated. Here, for the first time, is a comprehensive thematic guide covering every aspect of his craft. Opening with an introduction to the workings of the modern digital camera, the book continues through examinations of natural light, artificial lighting, portraiture, reportage, action shots, landscapes, macro, studio work, colour, black and white, printing and display. Thousands of Micheal's own photos illustrate his thinking, with step by step worked examples making the topics accessible and instructive. Everyone serious about improving their photography can learn something from this must-have volume.
and I agree.

I picked up this book on special earlier in the year ($40). It's big and has a tonne of information. Mastering Digital Photography is better used as a reference book than a read it book, although I sometimes browse it just for fun. It surprised me as to both how simple Michael Freeman presents information but also to the depth of that information. He spends a lot of time talking about light and colour which then leads into very interesting ideas for creative photographs. If you are into light and colour theory then this book has it in spades.

On the down side; as much as it has great ideas and inspirational images, Michael Freeman does not explain enough of the how-to. If you like Scott Kelby you may not like Michael Freeman for the reason he does not detail the how-to and has a drier reading style.

In summary I think it is a good reference book for ideas and creativity if you have a clue as to how you can execute those ideas. My rating 7/10 - good value if you get it at the lower end of the price scale.

http://www.amazon.com/reader/0782142907?_encoding=UTF8&ref_=sib_dp_ptu#reader (Table of contents)

Jcas
10-09-2009, 9:46am
I have just purchased this book and I am loving it.

Bryan Peterson's Understanding Photography Field Guide.

He is the author of the well known Understanding Exposure, Understanding Shutter Speed, Understanding Close-Up Photography,Learning to see Creatively, Understanding Digital Photography and Beyond Portraiture.

This book is an all in one guide combining main ideas from all the other books.
I am enjoying it immensly, it has just been released but i have no doubt it will end up as popular as the others are.

wiggles
01-03-2010, 9:07pm
For all of you birdos out there that live around or in Victoria this is a great book to read :)
ATM it's my mini bible on all must go destinations for birdwatching in Victoria, Australia :D

It's called "Where to see birds in Victoria" by Birds Australia edited by Tim Dolby, Penny Johns and Sally Symonds

I bought it off the CSIRO shop online for $29

ISBN 978-1-74175-736-1 Allen & unwin

Its small so you can travel with it and the photos are fantastic. It tells you the details on where to go with acurate Melway info and they even describe the tracks and what time of the year is best to go etc

andrask
06-05-2010, 1:47pm
Since composition hasn't been mentioned, the two books I find helpful are:

The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos by Michael Freeman (http://www.amazon.com/Photographers-Eye-Composition-Design-Digital/dp/0240809343/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273116659&sr=8-1)
Photography and the Art of Seeing: A Visual Perception Workshop for Film and Digital Photography by Freeman Patterson (http://www.amazon.com/Photography-Art-Seeing-Perception-Workshop/dp/1552636143/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273116793&sr=1-3)

The first deals with a wide range of compositional elements and the basics for given photographic situations from the need for planning in an action or "decisive moment" street shots to the design of still life. I particularly like his later discussion of your intent as a photographer i.e. whether you are wanting to please as many viewers as possible using safe, tried principles or to be seen as original by breaking most accepted guidelines to blaze a unique trail for yourself.

The second book is appropriately named a workshop as it gives many exercises the reader can carry out to get the eye to see something special in otherwise mundane subjects or locations. A great eye-opener particularly for those new to abstraction and geometry.

mkooper
24-06-2010, 5:25pm
The Genius of Photography (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genius-Photography-Gerry-Badger/dp/1844003639)
Gerry Badger

Also comes with DVD (http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Genius-of-Photography-DVD/dp/B001VIR81E/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b/277-4594153-4830735)

After watching the series on ABC 2 I just had to get the book. Brilliant.

Chilli
24-06-2010, 6:39pm
I have just purchased this book and I am loving it.

Bryan Peterson's Understanding Photography Field Guide.

He is the author of the well known Understanding Exposure, Understanding Shutter Speed, Understanding Close-Up Photography,Learning to see Creatively, Understanding Digital Photography and Beyond Portraiture.

This book is an all in one guide combining main ideas from all the other books.
I am enjoying it immensly, it has just been released but i have no doubt it will end up as popular as the others are.

Thanks Julie, i just bought this book, i love it and highly recommend it.

wiggles
27-06-2010, 1:36pm
Images of a timeless land by Peter Lik they are a collection of his panos from Australia. Just superb

macmich
21-09-2010, 8:01pm
hi all
has any one had a read or heard any feedback on photoshop elements 8 for dummies
and if so is it worth getting
i am just starting in editing and apart from quick nfix the rest is above me
cheers macca

wilto
21-09-2010, 8:57pm
has anybody read anything on creative lighting i did see a thread on it a little while ago but have forgotten the title, but just remember it being reccomended.

WorkingClassHero
21-09-2010, 9:02pm
has anybody read anything on creative lighting i did see a thread on it a little while ago but have forgotten the title, but just remember it being reccomended.

Haven't seen the thread you're referring to but this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0240808193/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0240802756&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0S31CRBK4S7VQTS84E5P) book I've seen highly recommended on many occasions. I've actually got a copy myself but haven't got around to reading it yet.

wolffman
27-09-2010, 4:44am
Art of adventure photography by the late Galen rowell. It's a series of short magazine articles lifted from popular photography and outdoor photography plus additional essays that he has written. It's quite an old book now and shows it's age in some areas, but it's an inspiring look into what he felt made an adventure image and how seriously he undertook the cultural responsibilities of his wonderful talent. So much of his energy comes though in the writing and it would be interesting to see what he thinks of the giant zoom lenses nikon are not producing. A lot of his stuff is along the lines of
"awoke at 3am for sunrise and grabbed bag of nikon f4 20mm f2.8 and 200mm f4 and light tripod and started running up the mountain. Reached the top by 6am for sunrise, shot 4 rolls of velvia using grad warm up filter and ran back down to the village for breakfast at 8am after detour to shoot fishermen departing for the morning catch. "

beckscj
26-10-2010, 6:17am
Since I love books and reading I came across Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson some time ago, although did not buy the book. THEN I discovered only very recently that my mother has a copy of the original 1990 edition! So of course I am half way through it and even though it refers to 35mm photography it is still a great read. So much so that I bought the 2010 edition!

I even pulled out my old Pentax 35mm body and lenses to play with them!

I got the current edition from Amazon but I'm sure it can be bought in local book stores.

Info: Understanding Exposure 3rd Edition/Revised and Updated By Bryan Peterson
ISBN: 9780817439392

I'm afraid to say though that I will not finish reading either one this week as I have just ordered my new d300s so it's manual will take precedence!!:D

Cindy

silkdiver
23-11-2010, 11:45am
Since I love books and reading I came across Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson some time ago, although did not buy the book. THEN I discovered only very recently that my mother has a copy of the original 1990 edition! So of course I am half way through it and even though it refers to 35mm photography it is still a great read. So much so that I bought the 2010 edition!
I even pulled out my old Pentax 35mm body and lenses to play with them!
I got the current edition from Amazon but I'm sure it can be bought in local book stores.

Info: Understanding Exposure 3rd Edition/Revised and Updated By Bryan Peterson
ISBN: 9780817439392
Cindy

I just purchased this book & some others from fishpond, an AP advertiser. Fantastic prices, cheaper than Amazon & FREE postage at the moment :)

sonofcoco
23-11-2010, 12:06pm
I have just got the "Understanding Exposure" book by Bryan Peterson and it is such a revelation. After reading it the penny has dropped on so many things, I am starting to feel in control of the final product instead of hit and miss like it was before. He makes it easy to understand and takes you through step by step. Highly Recommended!!

Yeah, it was one of the first photography books I got too. Very good explanations of aperture, metering etc etc.

Got mine from Amazon, it was quite a bit cheaper delivered than it was at Dymocks at the time of Rick's link. Thinks might have changed since then though.

silkdiver
13-12-2010, 10:05am
I am reading the new "Understanding Exposure 3rd edition" by Bryan Peterson, OMG I finally understand how to obtain different DOF. The neighbours might think I am a bit strange setting up a tripod in the backyard and taking lots of pics of boring flowers...

I am also starting to understand how the ISO, Aperture & Shutter Speed work with each other.

This book is great & I highly recommend it for NTP and I haven't even finished it yet.

Hinchy
30-12-2010, 3:49pm
Third Views Second Sights
Mark Klett

A greats book + CD on Rephotography.
Rephotography is the method of taking picture of the same subject at different points in time to produce a " Then and Now " representation.
:)

mopsy
24-01-2011, 5:00pm
* removed : site rule breach : admin *

twix
16-04-2011, 7:56am
I haven't got read yet, but i ordered the books" Magic Lantern for the 20D and Understanding Exposure" and can`t wait to get it on my doorstep to start reading it and hopefully improve my photographic skills!

purplexed8th
18-04-2011, 10:33pm
Finished reading Michael Freeman - The Photographer's Eye. A slow but good read. I'm deciding between Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson and another one by Freeman as well. I would be ordering mine from *removed - members with less than 50 posts cannot promote companies* Also, i'm looking forward to read The Art of War by Steven Pressfield.

DassM
15-05-2011, 8:17am
I've read Michael Freeman- The Photographers Eye -a very good read, and Scott Kelby's Digital Photog Book 2- also very good.
But the best so far has been - Ross Hoddinott's Digital Exposure Handbook - easy to follow , in depth discussion and a real pleasure to read.
He's an English Photographer, widly published inc Outdoor Photog & BBC Wildlife.

incisor
26-05-2011, 3:10pm
Ross Hoddinott's Digital Exposure Handbook

started reading it this morning and found this, this afternoon..

am not much of a reader but this book is excellent to read and an eye opener for the $13 i paid for it!

LEIGHTON
11-06-2011, 1:09pm
Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition by Bryan Peterson--this edition has new section included for HDR photography.

Scotty72
11-06-2011, 7:35pm
+1 for Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition by Bryan Peterson

A Good read

dannat
24-06-2011, 9:43pm
Based on this thread I find a copy of Petersen " Understanding photography field guide, terrific read, shows many techniques & gives great reading on aspects of composing great shots, also has useful sections on how to try diff techniques to get interesting shots.
Comparing this with Kelby intro to Digital photography- I much prefer the former, the kelby book which I have owned for a couple of years I feel is a book of phitography tips, albeit some useful tips... The Petersen book for me is something I can continue to read, the kelby Bo would be to lookup a tip
The Petersen is my first choice

michelleb
15-07-2011, 11:49pm
I bought Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson and it really made me understand a lot of things I just wasn't getting, it's a fantastic book for anyone who wants to get out of shooting in auto!

8perpetual
30-07-2011, 12:54am
A lot of people often focus about the technicalities of photography, they often forget that behind these is their own vision, which comes differently from each and every photographer's own perspectives and style. The book that really improved and took my photography to the next level besides the above mentioned renowned copies would be "Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision" by David DuChemin. I highly recommend it.

anakha
30-07-2011, 5:35pm
There is a useful website which can tell you which local libraries stock a book you are interested in: www.worldcat.org - just put in the location where you are currently, eg: Sydney, Australia or 2000, Australia and the ISBN or title of the book

I find it to be a very useful website for locating hard-to-find books.

Anakha