PDA

View Full Version : tripod centre post extension for tall guy

Irru
31-03-2011, 10:46pm
Being a tall guy (6'4") I want a tall tripod. But the AP tripod buying guide says not to extend the centre post on your tripod, as that isn't as stable. Makes sense. Except... in another AP post the Manfrotto 055CX was recommended as a tall tripod. Max height 69" - sweet. Height with centre post down: 55"

That's me stooping maybe as much as 10 inches forever more.

There ARE taller tripods out there. Heavier, more expensive tripods. Even the Induro offering for my height is $550. (I've been browsing B&H and looking at specs).

My question then, is about raising the centre post of your tripod. Given that I'm using a m43 system, with a 100-300mm lens (600mm equivalent). Lens is 520g, and the total is about 1kg.

How high can I expect to raise the centre post, with that kit on top, before I notice any actual effect from camera vibration through that centre post?

kiwi
31-03-2011, 11:14pm
I dont expect that it would be much an issye with such a lightweight kit

Kym
31-03-2011, 11:21pm
I'm 6'3" and use the 055. By the time you add the head, grip and camera I only extend the centre pole a little bit, so stability is not an issue. The point is that if it is fully extended is is obviously not as stable.

To check... get your kit and goto a shop and try the rig you want to buy !