PDA

View Full Version : Europe Trip 2011/2012

tmd77
31-03-2011, 11:39am
Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to Europe over Christmas/New Years at the end of the year, and thought i'd see whether anyone could give me some help/advice in the planning.

So flights are booked, landing in Rome and travelling to the following cities; Venice>Paris>Lucerne>Amsterdam and eventually flying out of London. Each place we are staying between 3 and 5 nights at.

Rome, Venice and Paris accommodation is all booked, however if anyone has any suggestions on cheap 3-star/hostel (private room) accommodation in Lucerne, Amsterdam or London it would be greatly appreciated!

Whilst we want to do the "touristy" thing in each place (colosseum, eiffel tower, louve etc.) does anyone have any suggestions on what other things we can do which are more along the lines of what a local would do or "off the beaten track"?

Also we are wanting to do two days skiing in switzerland, does anyone have suggestions for ski fields close to lucerne which are an easy bus ride day trip? My partner has never seen snow, so she'll need a learners area, and i've skied a couple of times so will be needing something to accommodate us both.

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to read and respond to this, much appreciated!

Cheers,
Trent

SRR33
01-04-2011, 2:59pm
Trent,

Take me with you!!!! So miss europe.. i did a massive trip back in 2008/09 and it was one of the best experiences of my life. No doubt it will be the same for you. You going to be staying in hostels??

Venice - Had one of the best kebabs ever at like 4am. No idea where exactly it is, but see if you can find it. its not your typical kebab you get here in aus. Also be sure to go to a glass making workshop. Venice is famous for making those glass sculptures.

Paris - Well we all know what to see in paris. Apart from that be sure to check out the most expensive toilet in europe. Think it was 10 euros to get in. Was pretty fancy inside. Its on the main road (champ elyses). Think thats how you spell it. Also be sure to check out that crazy ass roundabout with 16 exists.. I heard that insurance company wont cover you if you have an accident on that roundabout!!

Lucerne - Didnt go there :(

Amsterdam - ONE CRAZY ASS CITY!!!!!!!!!!!! Loved it.. But probably best if you were single hahah.. NO NO not because of the red light district, but it has an incredible pub crawl. One of the best I have been on. Met so many people that night. One I will never forget. Im sure you will be trying out some weed :P

I went sking in the austrian alps, but I heard zermatt is a great ski resort in switzerland. No idea exactly where it is, but I remember that name for some reason.

If my USA trip doesnt plan out end of year, i will be coming to europe again. Might see you there :P

ashbox
01-04-2011, 7:45pm
um, going by europes last winter.....pack some warm clothes and save a bit more just incase of delays

Ionica
02-04-2011, 8:45am
If you have time in Rome, try to make it to Piazza Navona. Apart from the wonderful fountains, Baroque architecture etc., it usually has many buskers performing, and good photo opportunities available. The nearby Campo de Fiori has a morning market, which also offers opportunities.

Patagonia
03-04-2011, 1:15pm
mmm, don´t think it´s the best time of year for going there. Europe is best enjoyed on a shoestring and in Dec-Jan it can be very cold, even snow cold in France and upwards...but if you are decided I have many friends that have gone in winter and had a wonderful time anyways. (just skip Scandinavia as you will get very little day time hours!!!)

I feel the Lonely Planet guide is a very good source for "out of the beaten track" places for Europe, give at a read. Also, you say you want to sky in Switzerland, it´s a very small country and you will find traveling by train will make short trips to anywhere and it will be also very beautiful...sky possibilities are in every town and I would recommend going to the smaller and retired towns were you will sense the "old way" with beautiful old chalets and cows with cow-bells everywhere.

regards

tmd77
04-04-2011, 9:16am
Sidd - thanks for the suggestions, we were hoping to get to zermatt but its a 2 1/2 hour trip from lucerne, and a bit too far for what we'd like to do for a day trip.

ashbox - yeah delays is probably the biggest worry, but even then we're not too concerned about it, i'm sure there are worse places to be stuck in than switzerland or paris etc. haha

Ionica - Thanks, piazza navona is now on our list. with the Campo de fiori, is this a food market or merchandise market?

Patagonia - My partner has never seen snow, so being over there at that time is actually the appeal. In turn its the perfect time of year to be going there :p but thanks for the suggestion on switzerland!

Ionica
04-04-2011, 9:37am
'Ionica - Thanks, piazza navona is now on our list. with the Campo de fiori, is this a food market or merchandise market?'

It's a food market, and usually flowers as well. Piazza Navona is popular with tourists, and also the Romans. Have been lucky enough on two occasions to hear some very good musicians and singers here. Hope it works well for you.:th3:

Patagonia
04-04-2011, 9:52am
If you want snow the swiss mountain tows are the best place...good call there.
Just recall the place, Interlaken, its between two lakes (no kidding :D), close to ski centers and a very cheerful (and cheap) hostel: Balmer´s, good for using as a base for the surrounding though the city is quite big to swiss standard.

Other hostels in Switzerland charged even to use their stoves and I remember in Mcdonlads you were charged separately for the Ketchup :eek:...luckily I don´t like Mcdonalds :)

In Rome the best for me was the Jewish Quarter (or Jewish old town, don´t know the name in english), lovely old town that is frozen in time...good for photos.

Ionica
04-04-2011, 10:32am
Just to say I haven't been to Rome at the time of year you will be there ( usually Autumn or Spring), so can't say what it will be like. However, north of Venice is an area of Inspiring scenery and also a popular ski area ( plenty of snow - take warm clothes). Cortina d'Ampezzo is a good skiing centre, set among magnificent ( to me) mountains. There are also others (Madonna di Campiglio etc), it depends on the time available and your interests. My wife and I once did a 3 week hike (camping) through the Dolomites ( in Autumn - plenty of snow), and it is one of the most beautiful areas I have seen. If you are there it is worth seeing ( Tre Cime di Lavaredo, the Brenta etc.). The nearby town -from Venice- of Bassano del Grappa is interesting, and has a famous old covered wooden bridge, ( and grappa). Unfortunately there is never enough time when you are there, and so much to see and do.:)

virgal_tracy
05-04-2011, 3:57pm
suggestions on what other things we can do which are more along the lines of what a local would do or "off the beaten track"?

Rome & Paris I spent my time after seeing the tourist places just hopping on the trains and getting off at obscure stops. Just pick a number, get on the train and get off at that number stop. Rome is such a wonderful place to do this as is Paris.

Venice is just wonderful to wander around, take a gondola down the Grand Canal, do St Marks and the Bridge of Sighs.

Paris has so much to see like Rome. THere is the usual which must include Notre Dame, but if you are into history then you must visit the Hôtel National des Invalides which is the resting place of NApoleon. A train trip out of Paris for the day will get you to the Palais of Versailles and if there is a music historian in you then the Pere Lechaise Cemetary has the gravesite of Jim Morrison.

Other than that I'd recommend just walking the backstreets. Make an effort to speak french and the locals are very friendly. Make no effort and they can be very rude.
Have fun.

dylbai
18-04-2011, 4:01pm
Oh my! A Europe Trip! I loved my time in Europe, we travelled around Europe two summers ago and it was fantastic. I am so jealous. We went to Prague, Vienna, Munich, Berlin and Amsterdam. It was very nice. I can suggest for you to rent one of the private Amsterdam apartments (http://www.bookamsterdamapartments.com), they are very spacious and lovely decorated. We had a cozy little love nest where no one disturbed us ;)

robcran
20-04-2011, 2:37pm
In Lucerne (or near it) Mt Pilatus is a good option. It takes two cable cars to get up there. View is speactacular as long as its not clouded over.
In Paris I'd recommend a night river cruise. We went on a smallish boat that started and ended from the canal near Place de la Bastille. It goes through a lock to get onto the Seine.
For London, depending on your length of stay, buy an appropriate tube pass before you go. Its cheap as chips when bought here and the tube is a fantastic way of getting around.