PDA

View Full Version : How much do you make from Photography : per annum

ricktas
29-03-2011, 9:11am
From a comment in another thread regarding income sourced from photography, I thought a poll of members on who makes what directly from photography

This is PER ANNUM. No personal information about how a specific member voted will ever be divulged, unless the member specifically posts how they voted into the thread themselves.

UPDATE: To Clarify, maybe make this INCOME total, not profit, wage etc, but the total INCOME you get from Photography per annum

Bear Dale
29-03-2011, 9:26am
Wheres the poll?

ricktas
29-03-2011, 9:28am
sorry, its there now, took me a while to get it up, as I took a phone call in the middle of creating the thread

dbax
29-03-2011, 9:29am
I'm in the RED :(:(

FallingHorse
29-03-2011, 9:34am
Wheres the poll?

Should have got Kiwi to set it up :lol:

Bear Dale
29-03-2011, 9:42am
I'm in the zero camp :)

Darey
29-03-2011, 9:45am
I make zero but I spend a lot.

Kym
29-03-2011, 9:52am
Make or just revenue? I make -ve $ :( But I don't want a photo business either.

steve munro
29-03-2011, 9:56am
Does this poll include the moving image too? :D
Steve

ricktas
29-03-2011, 10:12am
Does this poll include the moving image too? :D
Steve

If you want to.

ricktas
29-03-2011, 10:21am
Make or just revenue? I make -ve $ :( But I don't want a photo business either.

INCOME, not profit, wage etc, but INCOME

kiwi
29-03-2011, 10:25am
I dont do polls

And the ATO would get access to this if they wanted I suspect.

Longshots
29-03-2011, 10:29am
I have no problem stating what my income is from photography, as that same information is on my ATO return.

steve munro
29-03-2011, 10:32am
Ditto to Longshots.
Steve

Adrian Fischer
29-03-2011, 11:06am
Not enough would summarise it I think but you can dream cant you?

smylie
29-03-2011, 11:31am
I don't MAKE anything. I have sold a few images from time to time but most of the time there is a negative cashflow to my photographic budget. I am fortunate that I work a side job once a week to support my habit. There is alway some new gaget or paper or ink or weekend away etc etc etc.

Make money?? In my dreams. :D

agb
29-03-2011, 11:39am
Do you have a spot for the negative income group?

Kerro
29-03-2011, 12:44pm
I am thousands in the red, so it will take me a hundred years before I get in profit.

Art Vandelay
29-03-2011, 12:51pm
I earn a small amount. Some as money, mostly as contra deals. (preferred)

PH005
29-03-2011, 12:52pm
I would be happy if someone would take one of my shots for FREE !

judybee
29-03-2011, 2:34pm
dollar wise - $0
but I have gotten a bottle of wine and some chocolates for some photos I took of my friend's family :)

ving
29-03-2011, 7:08pm
Not good enough to make money from my pics... just as well i enjoy taking them then :/

Sent from my TR718D

Mick B
29-03-2011, 7:28pm
Well I sold a photo to a Real Estate company for a carton of XXXX. Does that count ?

mrDooba
29-03-2011, 9:04pm
$0.00

rwg717
29-03-2011, 9:14pm
Seems most people posting to this thread are like me, usually get nothing out of it but you can sell prints occasionally and get a few hundred per year if you are lucky. Given that most members have pretty standard kit from the big 3 manufacturers of DSLR's, the average camera bag would contain between $3000 and $4000 worth of gear (ie:Camera body, mid-range lens, mid-range flash, cards etc), a lot of "silver" really:eek: I have no idea what McDonalds pay their adult workers but it would have to be more than $22 per hour????how much is it worth for a non-professional, given the above figures, per hour if someone wants to hire you.
I remember this type of thread about 12 months ago on AP, but we never got any difinitive answer to the question. Is $50-00 per hour too much or not enough, given you provide the gear, the transport to get to the venue, the selection of prints (but not the negatives) and get yourself home again?
Richard

kiwi
29-03-2011, 9:20pm
I think richard that there is probably no right answer as it's a personal choice what you charge. If you don't want to operate at a loss you have to do the sums.

BUGSnBIRDS
29-03-2011, 10:12pm
Whatcha all talking about...

I earn heaps from photography..so much that I can not put a monetary value on it and the satisfaction that it brings me when I get it right (and the birds damn well behave for me). :D

Dylan & Marianne
29-03-2011, 10:15pm
the weddings are the major photographic source of income for marianne and me - we're fortuante that its a self funding hobby :)

Wayne
30-03-2011, 12:13am
I am thousands in the red, so it will take me a hundred years before I get in profit.

Same, many thousands in the red. I may make some $$, but not even a drop in the ocean when offset against my gear, and thats before adding my time.

Longshots
30-03-2011, 7:55am
Seems most people posting to this thread are like me, usually get nothing out of it but you can sell prints occasionally and get a few hundred per year if you are lucky. Given that most members have pretty standard kit from the big 3 manufacturers of DSLR's, the average camera bag would contain between $3000 and $4000 worth of gear (ie:Camera body, mid-range lens, mid-range flash, cards etc), a lot of "silver" really:eek: I have no idea what McDonalds pay their adult workers but it would have to be more than $22 per hour????how much is it worth for a non-professional, given the above figures, per hour if someone wants to hire you.
I remember this type of thread about 12 months ago on AP, but we never got any difinitive answer to the question. Is $50-00 per hour too much or not enough, given you provide the gear, the transport to get to the venue, the selection of prints (but not the negatives) and get yourself home again?
Richard

Scuse the double post of this information, but thought it would be helpful to paste it in to attempt to answer your question Richard. Essentially there is no definitive answer, due to a large number of different possibilities. And just to remind people that the small point often missed is that when working out your time/rates etc, that you need to not only acknowledge the time shooting, but also the total time involved in completing the job from beginning to end:

The average running costs of a one man photographic business was discussed and debated by way of government and industry involvement, and the industry concluded that (by the way this is based on people who depend on this for a full time income, and not simply calculate on what they think would equate to "beer money", or additional income) in 2009, of total monthly costings/overheads, which included the photographers wages of $3334.00 per month (*before tax) - thats 833.50 per week - before tax - , that those costs were $8777.51 per month to run their business. Which when taking into account standard holidays, that the average running costs on a per hourly basis for an average photographer (who its assumed has already invested in capital equipment - ie that wasnt added into the equation, and that is a significant cost for any start up business), again assuming a 40 hour week, that the hourly running costs of being a photographer in business, worked out to be $59.85 per hour. Thats how much it costs to run their business with a wage, but not including capital investment and future capital investments (ie photographic and computer gear).

I see many people agree to work for less than that, and they can enjoy that luxury because, a) they have a primary income which gives them that option, and/or b) they cut corners and fail to equip themselves with many of the minimum legal requirements of being in business, or c) (AND THIS IS THE IMPORTANT ONE) within 2 years they gain a great deal of work, which they fail to recognise that they are undertaking at a loss, and subsequently they are out of business, because they were not charging a rate that was sustainable.

Its also worth noting that the average professional photographer will have a significant capital investment in photographic and photographic related equipment. Which is not really accounted for in those figures.

kiwi
30-03-2011, 8:39am
Thanks William, very interesting figures.

Bear Dale
30-03-2011, 9:12am
Wheres the option for hemorrhaging money?

Longshots
30-03-2011, 9:45am
Wheres the option for hemorrhaging money?

Too many boxes of tissues would be needed for all of the professionals suffering the same thing ;)

rwg717
30-03-2011, 10:04pm
Thanks Longshots.....this was exactly what I was looking for....well done:th3::th3::th3:
Richard

habro
03-04-2011, 11:15am
I'm waiting until late 2011 before I look at how my "actual" job is affecting my cashflow on a photography front (ie can I earn more by dropping to 4 days a week in my insurance job & having that extra day in photography)... at the moment I just earn a few thousand per year but (probably like a lot of photographers) doing photography that I don't touch the other 360-odd days of the year (team photographs for sport is usually $1-2k per club). Not too similar to the portrait, magazine & wedding photography that I'm heading towards now, which I hate cos obviously you want to make money in your favourite areas, not the "everyone look at the camera" *click* "whatever" photography that is team sports

etherial
04-04-2011, 7:50am
Just 13% make more than $5000 :rolleyes: I thought that would have been higher on here?

farmer_rob
10-04-2011, 12:07pm
Mic, given the voluntary nature of the poll, and the high hobbyist proportion of member, I don't think you can infer too much. However, taking into account I@M's other poll "who earns their livelihood photographing" (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?66595-Who-earns-their-livelihood-photographing), and looking at some percentages gives:

23.5% of those who indicated they earn something indicate that their livelihood is earned as a photographer (I@M's poll)
25.9% of those who earn something indicate that they earn $5000 or more (Ricktas' poll), and 44% of those who voted have been paid something ($1 or more) for photography.
11.8% of those who earn something indicate they earned more than $40k.

Either there are (i) voting differences between the two (likely) or (ii) photographers settle for a livelihood of "not very much" (possible, but I think (i) is more likely.) I do, however think you can infer that not many people at AP earn a decent living from photography IF they earn money from photography (< 25% - I@M poll, < 12% Ricktas' poll with $40k as cutoff).

I think it is a big step to move to fulltime photography, and as others have repeatedly pointed out, it needs a lot of business skills and hard work.

etherial
10-04-2011, 7:46pm
Rob, I think you're "on the money" with your thoughts.

ctorry
12-04-2011, 1:09pm
I do not earn any income from photography (no where near good enough).

Thanks for posting the above William, very informative. I guess the next question one would have to ask themselves after knowing the approx costs, is what return on investment you wish to achieve by running your business, remember you can probably collect a wage from another employer who takes all the risk. Looking at the figures psoted by William on an annual basis ($40,008 per year wage and $65,322.12 overheads) you would probably want to receive revenue of at least $130,000 per annum. Based on hours worked of 1,408 hours per annum you would need to charge approx $92 per hour ($92.33). Please note productivity % may vary significantly for example if productivity is 75% you work 1,320 hours per annum, which means you need to charge approximately $100 per hour.

See calculation below for hours worked etc:
44 working weeks in the year (52 weeks less 4 weeks annual leave less 2 weeks sick leave less 2 weeks public holidays - note you may not take this leave as a business owner but this is your entitlements if you were simply on a wage) 40 hours per week @ 80% productivity (remember you will have travel time etc) you work 1,408 hours per annum.

Please note this calculation is based on my years as an Accoutantant and what people in general perceive to be fair value for the risk taken in running a business, not specifically the photography profession.

Craig.

Dan Cripps
14-04-2011, 11:52am
More than double the highest option.

farquar
14-04-2011, 3:31pm

My studio needs at least 200K in income to remain a viable business, so, me too.

Speedway
14-04-2011, 4:42pm
I probably take $2-300.00 per year so that puts me about $9000.00 in the red and getting deeper when I finally get my 70-200 f2.8L IS. I thought I was getting close but blew the gearbox in the Patrol -about $2000.00 from the budget.
Keith.

JM Tran
14-04-2011, 4:59pm

hmmm really?

Charmed
14-04-2011, 5:34pm
More then last year

farquar
14-04-2011, 9:45pm
hmmm really?

Why would you doubt that? The poll was for total income from photography. In my case I personally don't take home that amount but my business brings it in. I don't think there would be many photographers out there taking home in excess of 200K per year but the reality of a successful/prosperous business, with a couple of staff, is that you need to.

JM Tran
15-04-2011, 12:36pm
Why would you doubt that? The poll was for total income from photography. In my case I personally don't take home that amount but my business brings it in. I don't think there would be many photographers out there taking home in excess of 200K per year but the reality of a successful/prosperous business, with a couple of staff, is that you need to.

but you just answered your own question there - 'I dont think there would be many photographers out there taking home in excess of 200k per year' - I am not doubting Zeke, just curious thats all. I know he operates a studio of some sort, so would be interested to see more work posted or website link of some sort.

Pup
16-04-2011, 11:21am
Me I'm in the zero club. I've had photo printed in the local news paper even had to write what happened and got zero $$$. The worst thing is that I even had to buy my own paper......###!!.

My question is what do you charge per photo?

I'm yet to see a single cent for any of my work.

Dan Cripps
18-04-2011, 8:12am
I am not doubting Zeke, just curious thats all. I know he operates a studio of some sort, so would be interested to see more work posted or website link of some sort.

So you're not doubting me, you'd just like to see some proof? :D

$200K is a very modest turnover. In fact, it's probably scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of annual cash flow required to sustain a studio.

Our goal is a quarter of a million in print sales this year, at that level we might just scrape up a couple of average Australian salaries and ensure the studio is sustainable going forward. Wish us luck! :th3:

peterb666
18-04-2011, 9:10am
On a good day I make somewhere between zero and nothing. On a great day I make zilch. Then there are the bad days when I buy more gear.

farmer_rob
18-04-2011, 9:41pm
So you're not doubting me, you'd just like to see some proof? :D

$200K is a very modest turnover. In fact, it's probably scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of annual cash flow required to sustain a studio.

Our goal is a quarter of a million in print sales this year, at that level we might just scrape up a couple of average Australian salaries and ensure the studio is sustainable going forward. Wish us luck! :th3:

Good luck! :th3: I think $200k is a very modest turnover if you are maintaining commercial premises and staff (and it is a lot of prints out the door.) You are managing two salaries though if things go well (and the poll is not able to be clear about the number of people supported by a photography business - in fact it seems to assume sole practitioner).

Any small businessman (or woman) who makes a living has my admiration - it's damn hard and tough, and I think the photography business has additional pressures.

Daniel S
21-04-2011, 1:38pm
Interesting info LongShots thanks!

Longshots
26-04-2011, 8:46pm
Good luck! :th3: I think $200k is a very modest turnover if you are maintaining commercial premises and staff (and it is a lot of prints out the door.) You are managing two salaries though if things go well (and the poll is not able to be clear about the number of people supported by a photography business - in fact it seems to assume sole practitioner).

Any small businessman (or woman) who makes a living has my admiration - it's damn hard and tough, and I think the photography business has additional pressures.

I'd just like to thank Rob and repeat what he's said. All very true.

TonySlattery
02-05-2011, 6:55am
Richard

I've seen adverts looking for photogs for $30- ph.

Geoff79
15-08-2011, 8:55am
Yeah, nothing for me either. Just doing it for the love of it. I also know I'm nowhere near good enough to expect to make money either, but it is funny when you go to markets (for example) and see big prints / canvases / posters of images that you know aren't as good as images you've taken. But I guess it's all about getting out there.

Like everything in life, I assume there's also a solid degree of luck involved with a lot (not all, of course) success stories. And for the record, "success" to me means I would be more than happy with making a few hundred or even a thousand dollars from a couple of poster / print / canvas sales in a year. I imagine it would be an amazing feeling to have someone fork over their hard earned dollars for a photo you took. Ah, to dream. Maybe one day...

Milbs1
15-08-2011, 10:27am
I have "earnt" a hamper of chocolate, a bottle of wine, and a $200 donation for doing newborn photography. All were very much appreciated, as I was doing the shots for friends to gain experience.

I have also won a DSLR, a camera bag and last week a $20 voucher through entering numerous comps.

I'm not in it for the money, but small "payments" gifts or prizes make it a bit easier for me to convince the other half that investing in new gear is a good idea :D

mikew09
15-08-2011, 1:49pm
In 2.5 yrs I have managed to acheive a pitify sum of almost $600 from shooting at a few horse events and this is mostly by accident when someone asks me if I am the official photography for the day - I answer and the normally followed by Oh, we have not had one before and I was just wondering.
In most cases the conversation goes from there to "if you get some shots of me can I buy them off you.

At $8 a photo no one seems to have any complaints (or none they have voiced to me) and did have quite a few come back for another round. The last 12 months due to the commitment of training and competing 2 new young fillies I have not been able to do any real photography at events. May get back into it next yr now the girls are up and running - so to speak.

It is easy enough to get some side cash at the horse association events if you just shoot in the hope someone wants photos from that day. Most associations are pretty tight cash wise and only engage photographers for a major event such as a state show. Same goes for a lot of competitors but, not a great deal of cash for them to through around.

Not sure I would ever have the skills to try and crack a full time income roll in photography and my hat goes off to those that do - albeit enjoyable work it would be a tough gig I reckon.

JBuz
17-08-2011, 11:07pm
Mic, given the voluntary nature of the poll, and the high hobbyist proportion of member, I don't think you can infer too much. However, taking into account I@M's other poll "who earns their livelihood photographing" (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?66595-Who-earns-their-livelihood-photographing), and looking at some percentages gives:

23.5% of those who indicated they earn something indicate that their livelihood is earned as a photographer (I@M's poll)
25.9% of those who earn something indicate that they earn $5000 or more (Ricktas' poll), and 44% of those who voted have been paid something ($1 or more) for photography.
11.8% of those who earn something indicate they earned more than $40k.

Either there are (i) voting differences between the two (likely) or (ii) photographers settle for a livelihood of "not very much" (possible, but I think (i) is more likely.) I do, however think you can infer that not many people at AP earn a decent living from photography IF they earn money from photography (< 25% - I@M poll, < 12% Ricktas' poll with $40k as cutoff).

I think it is a big step to move to fulltime photography, and as others have repeatedly pointed out, it needs a lot of business skills and hard work.

I see the comments above (from other people) and think it's interesting looking at these stats. Business skills can be learned easily enough, but not sure what your referring to with the "hard work".

Is it "hard work" to do the shoots and then process? Or is it "hard work" to "find" someone to buy the photos?

ricktas
18-08-2011, 6:53am
Is it "hard work" to do the shoots and then process? Or is it "hard work" to "find" someone to buy the photos?

it is hard work to do it over and over again to make an income that you can live on, save (super), pay all the costs associated with running the business and do it month in, month out, year in, year out. Yeah people can make a bit here and there, but to do so as a full time professional photographer is not easy. Mainly, these days cause of the casual, part time, experienced amateur who dabbles in paid work on weekends etc. There is less work to go around, and more people doing photography than ever before, often doing it for free 'for the experience', or cheaply and no considering insurance, and other ongoing business costs due to having another full-time job.

Being a full time professional photographer is harder than it has ever been!

farmer_rob
18-08-2011, 1:29pm
Like any other business, you have an ongoing requirement to find new customers, and to keep the ones you have. You will have competitors who will do it more cheaply, and so you have to ensure you are price competitive and have the edge in quality. And you have to take the photos, process them, do it quickly, and try to have a life. That is where the hard work comes in.

There are a number of Fulltime photographers on this forum, but I doubt any of them would claim it all just fell in their lap and they *never* had to work hard to get to the level of success they now have, even if it is easier for them now than when they started. (And some of them maintain a workload that they appear not to consider hard, but would kill me!)

Also, I would dispute that business skills are easily learned - the mechanics may be, but the skill to keep the business running is not.

geoffsta
18-08-2011, 5:50pm
Me. A couple of boxes of chocolates, some flowers, and a $50 gift voucher.
My favourite payment is the one I get from comments that members make on the photos I post on here.

Scotty72
18-08-2011, 6:24pm
The occasional box of chockies, bottle of wine or, if I'm really lucky, a big hug and kiss on the cheek (from a lady) :th3:

Sar NOP
18-08-2011, 9:13pm
I couldn't vote here because not only I earn nothing from photography but lose money on buying gear ! :D:D
The only gain is pleasure, which is priceless for me. :):):)

peterb666
19-08-2011, 6:55pm
The occasional box of chockies, bottle of wine or, if I'm really lucky, a big hug and kiss on the cheek (from a lady) :th3:

Oh Scotty, you wouldn't discriminate on the basis of gender would you?

geoffsta
19-08-2011, 9:00pm
@peter666
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JBuz
19-08-2011, 10:57pm
Well, if the model I have worked out is the way to go, I'll share my secrets with you guys :-).

Essentially, asking people you know and existing clients to refer 2 of their friends to your services should help build it ... wouldn't it?

Dan Cripps
26-08-2011, 3:51pm
Well, if the model I have worked out is the way to go, I'll share my secrets with you guys :-).

Essentially, asking people you know and existing clients to refer 2 of their friends to your services should help build it ... wouldn't it?

In my experience, Australian culture is not particularly geared towards referral business. I know for a fact it works much better in the US. I don't understand the psychology, but that's definitely my experience (and backed up by a large number of photographers I have spoken to).

Having said that, positive word of mouth never hurts. I'm just not sure you can build an entire business plan around it. You have to be kicking goals across a broad spectrum of marketing efforts these days.

Tommo224
26-08-2011, 4:33pm
I made $85k last year, and so far this year I've made about $62k. So I'm doing better.

..I wish :( $0.

I'm a full time Graphics Designer, and this is a hobby of mine. But one day, if I can start making money from this, that would be most excellent :)

mongo
08-09-2011, 3:31pm
Don’t you mean how much money are we haemorrhaging from pursuing this crazy hobby/obsession ??!!!

steamyjoe
08-09-2011, 8:42pm
G'day I don't earn any dollars from my photography, but I get alot of pleasure from giving photos that I have taken to
other people, and I get alot of good comments from lots of people about my photos and that is enough for me.

ricktas
08-09-2011, 9:35pm
G'day I don't earn any dollars from my photography, but I get alot of pleasure from giving photos that I have taken to
other people, and I get alot of good comments from lots of people about my photos and that is enough for me.

Maybe start showing us some then?

Longshots
10-09-2011, 10:16am
anyone can give something away. No disrespect to you, because if that gives you pleasure thats cool.

But it takes a little more effort, skill and knowledge to sell something - and oops isnt that what this topic is about ie "how much do you make from photography......?" not how much you give away ?:scrtch:

peterb666
11-09-2011, 6:13pm
Some people prefer to make pleasure from their photography rather than money. Both are equally valid and it is the quality of the images that count, not the volume of money.

Longshots
11-09-2011, 6:52pm
Some people prefer to make pleasure from their photography rather than money. Both are equally valid and it is the quality of the images that count, not the volume of money.

I dont doubt that Peter- but my point is that's not the topic thats being discussed. And the subject of this part of the forum is also the "business of photography".

Again its probably worth pointing out what the original question of this topic is. Is there a problem with asking people to stick to the topic ?

IMHO its pointless entering a discussion with an entirely different response to the question thats being asked.

geoffsta
11-09-2011, 7:04pm
The other day I was being helped into hospital by my family. Barely able to walk, pain in every joint in my body. When 2 police officers in full garb came out through the doors with an obviously very nasty type character locked in handcuffs, and very forcibly through the offender in the back of the police van. The female police officer on returning to the front of the police van stopped, stared at me, then with a determined look on her face came towards me. I thought, oh well, what else could go wrong. She came up and asked if I was the photographer at a friends child's birthday party. I answered yes. She couldn't thank me enough for a photo I took of her baby, because it was the last day that the baby had had a dummy. I almost stood up straight to walk proudly into hospital unaided.
Cost of image given to her $1.20
Value of the appreciation by client. Priceless

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6166/6135256223_6fb1133637_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffsta/6135256223/)

baby (http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffsta/6135256223/) by geoffsta (http://www.flickr.com/people/geoffsta/), on Flickr

ricktas
11-09-2011, 7:08pm
As Longshots points out. This thread is getting a bit off track. Its is to discuss income from photography. Please keep to topic.

peterb666
11-09-2011, 7:09pm
Cost of image given to her $1.20
Value of the appreciation by client. Priceless

Congratulations Geoff, you made far more than money. Now if you were a professional photographer you could have made a couple of hundred dollars for a shoot like that, or even a lot more, but appreciation is far more valuable and will be remebered far longer. :th3:

Money isn't the only reward for effort and a job well done.

franko
18-09-2011, 9:34am
I used to make a very good living for nearly 30 years, shooting everything from portraits and weddings to advertising (although I specialised in food). In the last few years of my career I found increasingly diminishing returns, to the point that I now only shoot pro bono and collect a pension which gives me enough to live on (I've never had an extravagant lifestyle) and I've put the wife out to work (the advantages of marrying a much younger woman :-) ).

Seriously though, I was charging more for a 10 x 8 print back in 1988 than I was when I retired last year. And I haven't had a $15,000 budget for an advertising shot for quite a number of years now.

Redbaron
20-09-2011, 4:34pm
Great thread, and it appears the majority are in the same boat as me - don't earn $, but gain priceless memories and a great hobby/obsession.

FWIW - since the thread is about INCOME as opposed to PROFIT, if you earned $10 in a year, but spent $10,000, your INCOME would still be $10. If the thread was about profit, it would be -$9990.

Sobriquet
24-09-2011, 6:31pm
The results would suggest that not a lot of true professionals are accessing this forum. So much for business of photography. Perhaps the ones making money are too busy to post on forums.

Longshots
25-09-2011, 12:09pm
The results would suggest that not a lot of true professionals are accessing this forum. So much for business of photography. Perhaps the ones making money are too busy to post on forums.

Perhaps you might like to see the reasons for this forums existence then ?

Suggest you read this
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?87801-A-brief-history-of-Ausphotography

Why do you say "so much for the business of photography" ? Plenty of people ask valid questions relating to the business, and yet dont exactly want to make a full time profession out of it. As a full time pro, I'm happy to offer my experience in answer to reasonable questions.

What I think the results show is that many here enjoy photography for a number of reasons, some make money from it, some earn a full time living from it, and some do it for the love. What is "suggests" is that the majority here do the later.

JM Tran
25-09-2011, 2:43pm
So much for business of photography. Perhaps the ones making money are too busy to post on forums.

LOL being a full time pro does not mean we are working/shooting 24 hours a day!

I am currently at my office waiting for a wedding client to come to sign contracts and pay deposit on a nice Sunday afternoon. I am making money today but I also have time to browse AP and reply to this thread?

kiwi
26-09-2011, 6:42am
I have a ft job. Part time photography and 4 boys under 12 and look at my post count

Sad

jjjnettie
03-02-2012, 6:45pm
The last few years I averaged around $500 a year from selling prints at our local country show.

Kerrie
16-02-2012, 10:16pm
Ask me in a year :D

Wayne63
17-02-2012, 8:38am
$0 but still spend on gear :)

AWB
19-02-2012, 10:26pm
Nothing at the moment.

4wdexposure
20-02-2012, 11:01am
Interesting poll - most respondents make nothing and 90% of respondents make $10K or less. Other than wedding photographers, real estate house ads etc aside I'm not sure anyone makes money out of just selling images (even professional photographers when you take into account their overheads). I was looking for someway of financing my "hobby" of photography in retirement (still several years away) and found that I could sell travel articles because the photos with those articles are better than those put up by most of the publisher's journalists - ie usually people who write aren't proficient photographers and vice versa. So if you can use you photography skills as not the end game, but a means to an end then modest incomes are possible. If you look at some of the great photographers we have in this country they all seem to do something else to earn a crust - usually workshops to pass on their skills.

I have to say it's great to get over the barriers to small business with the ATO as all my photography costs can be offset against my other income, camera and car depreciation are now also tax deductible.

Aussie Battler
20-02-2012, 6:25pm
Agree with 4wdexposure.

If you can combine your photography with other skills you can make a dollar.

A couple of years back I was making $300-$500 a month by submitting articles with pics to a specialist sporting magazine.

I'm not a trained writer or journo but could string a few words together to make my articles informative and helpful to other readers and my pics were of sufficient standard for publishing - thank god for digital!! Take enough photos and you gotta get a few good ones.

Look to what the mags are already publishing - what they want is more of the same - not your personal or artistic take on things (see my signature).

But hey, sitting down and writing a 3000-3500 word article ain't easy!!

rustylongbeard
30-03-2012, 4:31pm
but are we in this for the money or the glory? (if only i could win picture of the week)

ricktas
30-03-2012, 4:36pm
but are we in this for the money or the glory? (if only i could win picture of the week)

If only we could see some of your photos up for critique! :D

birdsrus
08-04-2012, 7:24am
I think a lot of people reading this thread are interested in make money out of their photography. Most of my photography income is a result of photography being my second skill. I n my case I write and create environmental education material. There is a lot of room for photography and my clients have a one stop shop.

sonickel77
08-04-2012, 4:11pm
I broke even doing an exhibition with a couple of other artists at a pub, I was the only photographer there. But the buyers were my friends, family or friends of friends, so not really sustainable long term.....