PDA

View Full Version : Flash Modes

super duper
28-03-2011, 1:36pm
I tried playing with front and rear curtain sync last night, but I didn't get the effect that was explained in the manual. I used both slow and fast shutter speeds, photographing an electric train (with a light) in a dark'ish room. There was no streaking. The best I could get was a light trail when the shutter was slow, nothing to do with the flash. What am I doing wrong?

Brodie
28-03-2011, 3:01pm
You won't notice the difference between first and second curtain sync unless you use a slow shutter speed or have really fast moving objects.

Try slowing down your shutter speed more, and speeding up the train.

This shot was taken with a 25 or 30 second shutter. All the flash was obviously at the first curtain, then the car took off and the headlights streak across the image.

http://brodiebutler.com/images/stories/portfolio/automotive/navara_blog.jpg

Brodie
28-03-2011, 3:04pm
Also... if you are shooting in a dark room, there is no light to illuminate the train when the flash isnt going off. So you will only see what the flash is illuiminating, which is a frozen train. Try turning the lights on.

super duper
28-03-2011, 3:48pm
Thanks heaps Brodie. I'll try it with my sons RC car, much faster than the train :)

N*A*M
28-03-2011, 4:25pm
just go outside and shoot some cars driving past on the main road in the evening