PDA

View Full Version : EOS Utility will not work on computer any more.

fairy bombs
28-03-2011, 1:03pm
Hello.

I have a couple of Canon cameras,occasionally I do a little astrophotography.I had used the EOS utility on a number of occasions and had no problems.But I removed a astronomy program off my lap top as I did not use it.Ever since then my utility has not worked,all other canon software works fine.

I plug in camera,and the computer makes a unhappy little noise,I have tried re installing the program that had been in before,no go.I un-installed all Canon software-and re installed.still no go.

I went through the utility as much as I could,as far as I can make out-there appears to be a little padlock icon,on it.Not sure what this means.

It appears there has been a mix up some how,The only idea I have left is to re formate the whole computer and do a systems restore from scratch.This is rather annoying for something I use only 5 to 6 times a year.Has anyone ever had a similar issue?Is there a way to fix without re format the whole computer?

I can use some else's computer for the few times I do astro work,but its a bit annoying.

Any help or tips to solve this issue would really be appreciated.

Thanks FB

Phil Mac
28-03-2011, 1:14pm
Does EOS utility work if you double click the icon? (ie without plugging in the usb cable from the camera) If so it could be the cable connections.

Good luck!

fairy bombs
28-03-2011, 1:21pm
I can get the basic utility page up on screen when I click on it-yes.I did try two different cables-still no go.

I installed all software on wife's lap top all worked fine,with the same cables.Guess I will just have to be
nice to the missus,so I can use her lap top when I need too!

fairy bombs
28-03-2011, 1:33pm
When I click on EOS utility the page comes up I click on accesories the UDS has a little padlock on it.also another option has a little key on it,
not sure if this needs to be different.

Phil Mac
28-03-2011, 1:41pm
Mine is the same as that, haven't used those to be honest, just the control camera page for downloads or remote shooting etc.

ricktas
28-03-2011, 1:54pm
if its not working, the best thing to try is un-install, restart computer and re-install.

Monster
28-03-2011, 2:03pm
Yep, really important that you restart the machine between the uninstall and re-install. It ensures that nothing still running in background.

fairy bombs
28-03-2011, 2:31pm
Ok 'monster' and Rick,I do not think I have done that,always tried it when on.So I will turn the computer right off,before re installing again.

Sounds like a good idea.Any suggestions,please-I really want to avoid a total re formate -and having to re installing all my other programs.

Thanks

larrywen
28-03-2011, 4:18pm
Is there any chance the usb port got problem? do you have other usb ports on your computer and try them?

Boofhead
28-03-2011, 5:07pm
I would look at the auto play settings in your computer. Been a while since I played with a pc, I assume you are using a pc and not a Mac, but I think you go into control panel, hardware and sound then auto play and see what settings are associated with camera. It might be that it is set to the program that you uninstalled and therefore the computer does not know what to do when you plug your camera in now.

jgknight
28-03-2011, 6:31pm
When I upgraded my computer to Windows 7, my EOS software wouldn't work anymore, so I downloaded the latest software and away it went.

fairy bombs
28-03-2011, 8:54pm
Thanks Everyone for your thoughts and help.Andrew,I think you are on the right path,as there was a 'pop-up' mentioning the program I un-installed.I tried to find that program an re install,but could not find the exact right one.

Andrew,has put into words,what I could'nt (I am not a computer person),yes-using P.C. Hopefully I will have some visitors coming up to our place here in the country to do some astro photography,they are right into computers,so I will show them your post Andrew,and hopefully they can go on from that.

While I am not into computers,surely there must be away to fix this,without doing a whole new restore,Andrew is on the right track here-so any other advice along his thoughts so far would be great.Thank you.

Rick and 'Monster',I did try turning off computer and re install EOS but not go,I deleated through registery and still no go.But thanks anyway.

Cheers FB

Boofhead
28-03-2011, 9:48pm
This link might help: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-vista/Change-AutoPlay-settings even though this is for Vista I think the basics are similar for for most windows stuff.

fairy bombs
28-03-2011, 10:28pm
Thanks Andrew,I will try that.

fairy bombs
29-03-2011, 8:58pm
I am using Windows XP Andrew,I had a look in the control panel,but could not find 'auto play' for cameras etc,I did find one for audio.

I think if I could find what you mention,Andrew-I could tell the computer which program to run camera,It does appear the program I deleted
had taken over running the camera,and now when I pug it in the computer does not recognize it.Any WIndows XP guru's out there who might
be able to help?

Thanks

Boofhead
29-03-2011, 9:37pm
This link may help then: http://www.the-pc-guru.com/Windows_Scanner_and_Camera_W.php seems to be what you might be looking for. If you are not confident working on your pc I would recommend having an experienced person do the fix (i.e I take no responsibility for the outcome :p). This does appear to be talking about what I was thinking.

fairy bombs
29-03-2011, 9:56pm
I'll show this to one of the tec guys that comes to do some astronomy here,he is very good with XP,looks tricky,and going by the responses,may not work.

But,Thanks for taking the time to help out,Andrew-this is certainly the closest I have had in positive ideas to fix,I may end up doing a whole re-install of XP.

Or buy a new lap top,these seem rather a large step to fix something that I would have thought would not have been so much drama to fix.

Boofhead
29-03-2011, 10:57pm
Not a problem, where are you at in South East Qld? PM me if you like, if I am in your area I would be happy to help where I can. I am not a guru but have fixed a few issues in the past. I am at Palm Beach so hopefully may be close :).

fairy bombs
30-03-2011, 8:12pm
Thanks Andrew,for the offer of help,a little too far away-I'm on the Blackbutt Range (up past Kilcoy way),But I will keep it in mind I might get down that way sometime.But,I can show the helpful pointers and links you have given to one of the guru's when they come up to do their astrophotography.Your advice and pointers
are the best hope I have had,after asking on a few forums.I am basically resigned to the idea its stuffed.And will look at re formate the whole computer from the start
or buy a new lap top,although I'd rather spend that money on some more 'L' glass or a 7D.

I see these new lap tops in H.N for around $700ish dollars with a i5 core and huge hardrives,my current laptop is 4 years old,and I am told is 'very old' so may be time to buy a new one,anyone here use these new lap tops for PP and camera work?

Thanks

Boofhead
30-03-2011, 8:43pm
No problem, best of luck with it. You should be able to get it working again without a format or replacement, just depends how much time you want to spend trying different approaches. I will keep my fingers crossed for you :th3:.

jimbob12
31-03-2011, 1:07pm
Try to uninstall all the eos stuff, run a registry cleaner then restart pc then install the canon programs again.. That should work.....
Well it did for me... :)

Bennymiata
31-03-2011, 4:48pm
Check on one of the Canon sites (Europe or the US should be the best ones to go for) and download the latest version of the software.
It may fix a few of your bugs.

This is a trick I learned from my IT guy here at work, he always downloads the software from the disk, but then goes straight to the software company's website, and downloads the latest version.
It often fixes up bugs that may be in the original software to allow for newer operating systems and also for problems people had with the original software.

I got the latest updates for Adobe Photoshop Elements recently, and now I can open up RAW files directly into Elements from my Canon D60.
I find this is much better than using the Canon supplied software.

fairy bombs
31-03-2011, 9:54pm
Thanks 'jimbob12',-I am un-familiar with 'registry cleaner' is that a special program that is bought,or something that XP has?
We did get into registry and delete the reference to the other program that appeared to have taken over the workings of EOS.

I am interested to know more about this 'registry cleaner',and your issue with the EOS not working for you 'jimbob12',sounds
like it may have been similar to my current problem.Thanks

jimbob12
04-04-2011, 5:32pm
sorry bout the lengthy time in between reply :o if you go to download.com and search for registry cleaners there are a heap of free ones to choose from.
i use ccleaner and wise registry checker for my cleanups which i do once a week just to make sure everything is running ok just keep it to the default settings and click the fix button once it has scanned your hard drive
the issue you are having sounds similar to what i was having and like i said i had to delete it and reinstall... but if i didnt use the registry cleaner after the install i found that the eos program still wouldn't work...' i hope that helps your problem if you haven't already fixed it ;) :th3:

fairy bombs
04-04-2011, 6:58pm
Thanks jimbob,I'll try that method,It sounds like you had a similar problem to what I have,So you delete EOS first,then re install,then run cleaner.

jimbob12
04-04-2011, 10:22pm
Uninstall eos, run the registry cleaner then reinstall eos....

hakka
04-04-2011, 10:40pm
Try deleting the appdata for the canon program. I haven't used XP for a while but I think its in C/users/yourname/appdata/canon, you need to enable 'show hidden files and folders' in the folder options menu. Someone I know had the same problem with some Nikon software and that fixed it.

bricat
13-04-2011, 9:54am
If you have not fixed the problem yet try system restore. Go back to just before you deleted the program and simply restore. You do not have to format anything so you do not lose anything. It is a tool to help you undo something that does not work. And it may not fix your problem but woth a try. I am not a computer expert but have used this many times. cheers Brian

Analog6
13-04-2011, 11:15am
Cant you just download into a folder using Windows explorer and a media card reader? I imagine you would have an image editing program for your astronomy pics - once the images are downloaded into the folder open them in the normal way.