PDA

View Full Version : Business of Photography Forum : Helpful advice

ricktas
27-03-2011, 3:24pm
Recently we have seen several threads in the Business of Photography forum, where members have asked specific questions regarding rates, pricings etc.

Some of the replies have been less than helpful, in that rates are being brought up by those who are not/have not been in a position to know what the going rate is for a particular job/employment offer. Some posts appear to be wild guesses, or just posted to create a bit of controversy and make the threads a bit heated.

At the same time, some posters are providing good, reliable and solid information backed up with facts and the 'why' they posted the rate, questioned the OP, etc. Help regarding business related threads can come from anywhere, including those members who are Full time/Part time professional photographers, members with experience in business in general and more.

Please respect a thread-starters question and provide answers that are helpful and as factual as possible in the Business of Photography forum, rather than offering advice that is not helpful or relevant, and respect other members posts where they offer opinion, ideas and suggestions regarding business matters, including rates per hour, etc.

The Business of Photography forum can be a valuable AP resource for all members if we let it be, but if it gets bogged down in 'my suggested rate is better than yours' type posts, it becomes a bit Freudian and of no use to anyone.

Also, if you join AP to ask a specific question, please give the members the courtesy of staying around and answering some other questions, critiquing some of their photography. After all, they have taken the time to give you good advice, free of charge, and it would be polite for you to return the favour.

bb45pz
27-03-2011, 6:45pm
### Bows out of AP ### Could not be bothered with this joint any more.

ricktas
27-03-2011, 6:51pm
### Bows out of AP ### Could not be bothered with this joint any more.

HUH., this post was not directed at you, or any member in particular. Rather it was an observation that advice given in some instances, in the Business of Photography forum, was not helpful, and all I was asking was that members be considerate of providing good business information. If that has upset your sensibilities, I am happy to close your account and have done so.