PDA

View Full Version : Require place to print a 30" x 20" sized image? In Adelaide?

Astroman
25-03-2011, 10:46pm
Hello,

Is there a place in Adelaide that can print from digital file to a 30" x 20" sized image for a friend who may want to use one of my images for personal use... Can someone direct me to a place that does this please...

MarkChap
25-03-2011, 10:49pm
300mmx200mm is only an 8x12, which is not a big print, I would imagine that any reputable lab would be able to do that, and if worst came to worst, most non reputable labs would be able to do it as well

colinbm
25-03-2011, 10:52pm
So close to A4 paper size :confused013

Longshots
26-03-2011, 12:00pm
The best photographic printing in Adelaide is without doubt Atkins Technicolour.

They're highly regarded in the pro photographic community.

http://www.atkins.com.au/

A 3rd generation family business - Paul Atkins is now the main man

While I've never used them, I know how good they are.

Interestingly you can order online - uploading files direct.

http://www.atkins.com.au/?page_id=1292

Astroman
26-03-2011, 12:49pm
Appologies I misinterpereted my friends size, he actually meant 30" x 20" sized print... I will edit original post

EDIT: Okay So I cannot change it LOL....

Ms Monny
26-03-2011, 12:53pm
Definately can voucher for Atkins Technicolour...unfort they are near that dreaded roundabout!! LOL

Astroman
26-03-2011, 1:23pm
Yes I know where they are now, used to use them for slide films, but it was many years ago, I had forgotten. I think we may use them.

Kym
26-03-2011, 2:01pm
Atkins or Black & White on Magil Road - get quotes from both

arthurking83
26-03-2011, 10:13pm
30" should be easy peasy with a modern DSLR file.

I recently did a 30"(by 17" high.. 16:9 aspect it was) print from my D300(12 megapixels remember) and the quality was amazing. This has been my one and only real print, and the printer assured me that there will be no loss in quality. Good printing mob they were too.

From memory, as long as the TIFF file is about 80-90Megs you'll have no problems(if the image is good to begin with).
As it turned out while 30" sound rather large, it's super large.. and in reality not that much larger than my cheapo 24" screen. I see good detail in my cheapo screen, but the print actually showed up the screen in detail acuteness level, even tho the print wasn't all that much larger. The pixel pitch of the screen may be quite low (hence the cheapo-ness of the screen :p).

30" print is about the max you would want to print a 6Mp DSLR image(as explained by the printer chap).. so use this as a guide.

Ultimately any decent quality printer dedicated to photography printing will do a good job of it, they all have the same access to the same printing machines, don't they.
I think the difference between them will be the finishing work ... mounting, laminating and so forth.

Dylan & Marianne
27-03-2011, 7:42pm
I've printed 30"x40" with black and white photographics before and was happy with the result on their art matte paper.
Haven't tried atkins so I can't give you a direct comparison but we are biased in that our screens are calibrated (roughly) for Black and White's printing process.

JM Tran
27-03-2011, 8:20pm
from a professional perspective - at 30x20 inch the quality from Black and White or Atkins is indistinguishable if you are using normal papers like matte, gloss

Andrew go to B&W first on Magill road, as it is a LOT cheaper. I know Paul personally and Atkins is 2nd to none in Australia, but if you wanna save half the price, go to B&W.

Astroman
12-04-2011, 6:27pm
Jackie, did Paul work for Atkins or B&W?

I have saved the file to TIFF ready for printing, not sure how it will print though, only using a Canon 400D, would have loved to have got my hands on a top notch camera for the day.... Anyway pic turned out well so will see how the print goes, which is better for a framed glass front image? Matte or Gloss image...

JM Tran
12-04-2011, 7:46pm
Jackie, did Paul work for Atkins or B&W?

I have saved the file to TIFF ready for printing, not sure how it will print though, only using a Canon 400D, would have loved to have got my hands on a top notch camera for the day.... Anyway pic turned out well so will see how the print goes, which is better for a framed glass front image? Matte or Gloss image...

Paul is the boss-man of Atkins Andrew, his name is Paul Atkins lol

if you are framing it behind glass - ask for Lustre paper instead of Gloss, Lustre is better than Matte IMO too as there is no reflections and holds the colour very well.

There is no need to give them a TIFF file, a jpeg at 5 or 10MB printed with the same image as a 100mb TIFF file, you wont notice any difference on a 30x20 inch print. I consider that size small for my printing these days.

30" print is about the max you would want to print a 6Mp DSLR image(as explained by the printer chap).. so use this as a guide.

I disagree. Have seen, and have done prints myself at 6 and 8MP at 45x30 inch, and bigger and it holds the details fine. Its all to do with your exposure, ISO and DPI, not to mention viewing distance. You dont view something at 45x30 inch (114cm x 76cm) inches from your eyes, or with a loupe.

Astroman
14-04-2011, 6:26pm
Thanks Jackie, I'll be going to B&W and see how they go with the print, it's only about $20 for that size so I am not losing much with costs... the guy who I did the shoot for already gave me a bottle of JW Gold label for the shoot itself and will be paying for the enlargements too... I wasn't after a great deal of cash out of it, 1. he is a good mate and 2. I don't consider myself a professional so I didn't want to charge a great deal if the shoot didn't go the way we planned.

Astroman
10-05-2011, 8:49pm
Print is in now being done, pick up tomorrow... hopefully they do a good job and hopefully my editing was worth it.

JM Tran
10-05-2011, 9:20pm
Print is in now being done, pick up tomorrow... hopefully they do a good job and hopefully my editing was worth it.

hope your monitor is calibrated also:D:D:D

Astroman
11-05-2011, 8:45pm
Well looks like it wasn't :D Picture came out quite a bit darker than I had hoped... probably a little too dark actually, will see what the guy says tomorrow, I may go and get a reprint done... Might have to try and calibrate the monitor looking at the picture, if I can find out where the controls are on this lappy :D

Astroman
12-05-2011, 4:57pm
Well lucky me, I'll have to reprint anyway :( Damn rain! A small drop of water hit the surface of the poster when I unrolled it to show my friend. Now there is a watermark (no copyright issues now) on the image... I noticed it and the guy was happy for my honesty... So Now to reprint slightly brighter...

JM Tran
12-05-2011, 5:21pm
Hey Andrew, severe underexposure is a common occurrence, dare I say natural and inevitable occurrence for all monitors that are not calibrated.

An un-calibrated monitor will always be overly bright, but doesnt represent the true exposure of the photo taken. When you calibrate it with a good unit such as the Colour Munki, it will also measure the ambient lighting of your editing room and adjust to that too. Right after calibration you will notice your monitor to be much darker than what you were used to, but it will represent an almost true representation of exposure and colours etc. :)

Astroman
12-05-2011, 8:24pm
Thanks for the information Jackie, I adjusted the monitor to almost the same as the image, and yes it is much darker now. I was surprised to see it darken so much, but it's actually easier on the eye's now. I can see now why most of my images were said to be dark. Now to go back over the thousands of images and redo them :D

I like the idea of those calibration tools, but unfortunately paying the price they want is a little out of the question. I am sure it does a good job but wow what a price... Is there anyone or any place that hires them out?

Longshots
12-05-2011, 8:43pm
approx $200 to $250 for a decent calibration hardware, doesnt seem to me to be expensive - but I suppose its all relative. And when you realise that you should recalibrate at the most every 4 weeks, then you'll understand that the price is definitely worthwhile.

Now to go back over the thousands of images and redo them :D

I'm wondering what value you place on the time that will take you ?

Worth thinking about I'm sure.

random search for the price for an Eye One (what I use and recommend):
http://www.hot.com.au/product/x-rite-pantone-eye-one-display-2-monitor-calibrator

Astroman
12-05-2011, 8:56pm
Thanks for the link LS... I was joking about redoing the images, I don't have that much time spare. Agree about it not being expensive, but it is when other things take priority... Anyway this is getting a little off theme.... Thanks for everyone's input, very helpful.