PDA

View Full Version : Council sponsered photo shoot

chris_m
25-03-2011, 4:03pm
I have been approached by a local council arts officer to photograph a local event in a few weeks time.
The event will take about 1 1/2 hours to cover plus I expect a few hours more to select & process images and then provide the selected images to them.

My concern is that I am a hobbyist photographer and although it is always nice to make a few dollars as I go along, am I taking income from the photographer(s) that are usually employed by the council to cover this type of event?

Or should I just go with the flow and make a few dollars.

There is also the caveat "I dont have a lot of dollars", so they may be expecting that I do the job for beer money!

mudman
25-03-2011, 4:39pm
I would suggest that you get the money details sorted out BEFORE the shoot.
it is not your fault you got the work. the council approached you, which is tough luck for other photographers.
also you are not a charity institution and their ' we don't have a lot of maney' could be a ruse to make you feel guilty
about charging what the job is worth.
cheers

chris_m
25-03-2011, 4:59pm
Thanks Mudman, I reckon if I was to do the work I would expect a minimum of $300 for my time. My rough totally uninformed estimate of what a pro would charge would be in the $500 area for 3 hours work I reckon.
I am quite comfortable in providing good quality work with editing if required, so I have no intention of selling myself short.

Scotty72
25-03-2011, 5:33pm
Remember the 'worth' of the photos is not based on your time only.

Among other considerations ought to be the worth of your photos to the council / what are they using them for / who holds copyright etc?

For example: if the council intends to sell you prints as postcards / in a book or; if they use your pics as a part of a tourism campaign (or what ever)...

If this is the case, the $300 is less than peanuts.

If it is just because they want to make a visual record of a community event (non-profit) then, $300 may be ok.

If it is because they are raising money for primary school aged orphans with cancer living in sewers then, $300 may make you look like a greedy so-and-so.

Try to find out the potential value of these pics.

Scotty

chris_m
25-03-2011, 5:50pm
The project is a visual record of a community event.
I have asked what they expected to pay a "pro photog" and have been told the usual guy is booked for the day and he charges around $110 per hour just for time at the event. No editing required, just hand over the high res images.
This seems to be rather on the cheap side of things. My estimate of what a pro charges looks a bit silly now or maybe the other guy is under valuing himself and his industry?

James T
25-03-2011, 6:34pm
.. or maybe the other guy is under valuing himself and his industry?

Or maybe he provides services worth $110 p/h.

Ask for however much you want / feel you are worth, doesn't really matter what others are charging or whether or not a 'pro' would do that kind of work for them in the past - they approached you for this job as mentioned above.

For the circumstances you've described $300 sounds pretty reasonable.

johndom
25-03-2011, 8:47pm
$110/hr then hand them over definetely sounds on the cheap side.
Make sure you point out all the value you give them for the extra you want to charge. (ie finessing in photoshop). While you are there, look for ways you can add value and give them more than they usually get.
Exceed their expectactions and you will have yourself a regular client. Then put your price up again!

farmer_rob
26-03-2011, 8:48am
Word of caution - often councils don't have a lot of 'easily spent' money, nor do they have a vast publishing empire. The budget and rate for the pro tog sounds very plausible to me.

kiwi
26-03-2011, 9:04am
I would think 100 or so is top dollar for this sort of stuff

bb45pz
26-03-2011, 10:04am

I'd agree. $100 an hour for the shooting and then no editing I'd say is pretty good money for this type of shoot.

Longshots
26-03-2011, 12:46pm
The project is a visual record of a community event.
I have asked what they expected to pay a "pro photog" and have been told the usual guy is booked for the day and he charges around $110 per hour just for time at the event. No editing required, just hand over the high res images.
This seems to be rather on the cheap side of things. My estimate of what a pro charges looks a bit silly now or maybe the other guy is under valuing himself and his industry?

While he may be undervaluing himself, its also a case of supply and demand. And as you're experiencing he can be replaced. If I were you I would go for the $300. It doesnt seem that cheap, but I would ensure that what might be an hour and a half doesnt start to drag out to two and half hours. So my suggestion is definitely sort out these details before you start.

I would suggest you supply a written quote for $300 for an hour and half, and then state that it would be an additional $90 for each half hour or part there of.
From a working pros perspective, that is not an unreasonable charge.

And bear in mind that your being told by a prospective client what another supplier charges ( can you rely on them being entirely honest and transparent ? remember that this is business and I've heard plenty of claims which fail to display the whole story - ie how much his other charges might be).

Longshots
26-03-2011, 12:48pm

Well you're wrong. No where near top dollar - in factm this type of comment simply annoys me, because its based on nothing. And guessing is different to thinking. Sorry to be blunt.

Longshots
26-03-2011, 12:52pm
I'd agree. $100 an hour for the shooting and then no editing I'd say is pretty good money for this type of shoot.

Again same comment I've just made to Kiwi - on what basis are you agreeing ? Opinion, perceived experience or factual experience ?

Any insight into whats involved from a working photographers business ?

Longshots
26-03-2011, 12:54pm
Or maybe he provides services worth $110 p/h.

Ask for however much you want / feel you are worth, doesn't really matter what others are charging or whether or not a 'pro' would do that kind of work for them in the past - they approached you for this job as mentioned above.

For the circumstances you've described $300 sounds pretty reasonable.

Sensible advice, and spot on.

bb45pz
26-03-2011, 12:57pm
Again same comment I've just made to Kiwi - on what basis are you agreeing ? Opinion, perceived experience or factual experience ?

Any insight into whats involved from a working photographers business ?

Merely an opinion as to what hourly rate I would be prepared to work for. I know on my calculations to charge what I charge for a family shoot session and a basic package I'm only getting about $60-70 an hour once I've done editing and consultations etc etc. The money only goes up if I can sell higher packages. If shoot and burn, decent record of events etc is what is required and there isn't significant editing or consultation then $100 an hour ish is pretty good money.

We are making a few assumptions though ie, the material isn't for mass marketing etc, but I think that's a pretty safe assumption given the information here.

Longshots
26-03-2011, 1:12pm
"what hourly rate I would be prepared to work for" That is I agree the key

"once I've done editing and consultations etc etc " So you're assuming that there is nothing before the event, no post production, no delivery, no travel, no prior discussion time, no etc etc at all connected with this style of job ?

I'll repeat the question to you more directly - what experience have you had of shooting something like this on a professional basis ? And you're right, this has nothing to do with family portrait sessions which if you fail to sell yourself well, or you fail to produce some emotive capture of their loved ones, then you aint going to manage anything other than a basic package sale. That comes down to selling a loss leading package - which is how 99.9% of most family portrait business models are designed - "get em in cheap and upsell them on the portraits". So a fairly lousy comparison I'm, afraid.

Surely you should be asking yourself wether you're undervaluing yourself ?

bb45pz
26-03-2011, 1:53pm
I'll repeat the question to you more directly - what experience have you had of shooting something like this on a professional basis ?

You're right, no experience with event photography whatsoever.

Certainly making sweeping assumptions here regarding travel etc (it's the local council isn't it? or perhaps it's not the OP's local council)

For the most part with threads like these we don't have all the required information so we make some assumptions. If we aren't to make assumptions then we all sit back and ask for loads of info etc etc and conversation goes nowhere. The OP didn't really ask for a quote merely some opinions on what may be a reasonable rate.

Longshots
26-03-2011, 2:43pm
yes, I'm making an assumption - that there would be time involved in travel - even if thats local, because there will be. My one assumption is that the event is not at the OP's house.

And I know that because I've shot a lot of these type of events, and there is always going to be more time involved than the organiser predicts. Is that an assumption or a view based on experience ? Its based on a series of percentages based on experience.

And if you had some experience you wouldnt refer to that assumption as sweeping.

Going to an event, and even shoot and burn, will without any doubt at all include time both before and after.

I thought from reading the op's question; that they were seeking opinions on what a reasonable rate is ? And my logic is that the best people who could answer that would be people who've had experience - after all that is what they were seeking.

Perhaps they should just ask strangers in the street, because unless you've had at least a fraction of experience, I for one cannot see any logic in commenting on what you think is reasonable rate, when you and others have zero experience. Sorry I just see no logic in that at all. I dont mean to sound harsh or blunt, but simply trying to be realistic.

To me thats like me offering a review on a camera I've heard of, never touched and read a little about on other internet forums - that would be utterly pointless.

kiwi
26-03-2011, 2:44pm
Well you're wrong. No where near top dollar - in factm this type of comment simply annoys me, because its based on nothing. And guessing is different to thinking. Sorry to be blunt.

Double post

kiwi
26-03-2011, 2:52pm

William , Im not guessing, not in my council anyhow.

Longshots
26-03-2011, 3:26pm
Well thats quite different Darren. Thats top dollar for my council (which is btw ?) is quite different to what event photography Top Dollar is. And its also a huge difference to be stating what a per hour rate is and what covering the entire event is. Perhaps you should reread your own posts ?

And btw, my point was to value the work based on something more than the beer money (in the ops original post), and to always take into account covering your costs in the professional market as if you were needing to rely on that income as a living wage (again referring the ops original post about professional work). I simply cannot compete with people who work out their costs to simply cover some of their photographic equipment purchases. And I'm not complaining about that, simply being a realist. If you want to sit down and do a business plan, truly working out not only what your costs are, and what you hope to earn from your photography to cover your living expenses (ie wages as in your real world), and what else you need for progressive investment in future capital, working out how many "hours" or "days" that you are likekly to sell, and how many "hours" or "days" you need as a min to seel then you might get somewhere near the figure of a min of $300 - as suggested by the OP, and not simply saying that $100 is top dollar that implies you cover the entire event, post production, even if thats min, and invoicing the client.

So if you have done all of that Darren, then I retract the word guessing - because if I dare to make an assumption, that you have not done that research, then I'm afraid I stand by the word that you are "guessing". Its not meant to sound offensive, its simply being realistic.

And if you want to go back and read this part from the OP:

My concern is that I am a hobbyist photographer and although it is always nice to make a few dollars as I go along, am I taking income from the photographer(s) that are usually employed by the council to cover this type of event?

Or should I just go with the flow and make a few dollars.

There is also the caveat "I dont have a lot of dollars", so they may be expecting that I do the job for beer money!

If you answer that logically, then you need the information and experience.

Or you can compete with others who are all quite happy to shoot for less than $100 a job because thats what they're happy to value themselves at. My experience with councils and clients is just when you think that you're possibly pushing the envelope charges wise, especially after they try and push you down and screw the prices down; all of a sudden they commission/employ another photographer (who of course you dont think they're that much better), and pay them 5- 10 times - yes Five to Ten times (real life experiences I'm afraid), and you just walk away shaking your head.

So please dont feel threatened of that I'm having a go at anyone here, I'm simply saying that you can never ever make a statement that a rate is "top dollar" and imply that the market wont pay anymore, because two things will happen - one is that market will cut their rates in half, and the other is that it will bite you on the bum when you become the victim of someone suddenly being paid a great deal more than you got paid for the same previous job.

bb45pz
26-03-2011, 4:18pm
I don't think anyone was suggesting this was going to be a shoot for $100 total, rather $100 an hour (as per my initial post)...or closer to $300 total (I think that was the initial figure mentioned although not by the OP).

kiwi
26-03-2011, 5:16pm
I am simply saying got this sort of thing, driving down the road with no particular brief to take three hours of general coverage and then hand over unprocessed jpegs that $100 an hour shooting is at the upper end of what my council (which used to be pine rivers) would ever pay, might be different now they are moreton. I've done a few for way less couple or three years back and had a very clear understanding what they normally paid (if at all) for local family fair type things.

Is 300 fair for 3 hours at a community event across Brisbane based on those parameters ?

I guess you have to use your own experience, I'm just handing over mine.

Longshots
26-03-2011, 5:19pm

We have a misunderstanding then because I read your post Darren as $100 for the job - total.

And I was also supporting the original suggestion of $300 from the OP as a reasonable fee.

kiwi
27-03-2011, 12:25am
Yeah, I can see why there's been a misunderstanding, all good. I was talking an hourly rate. It would be great if there was a standard rate card wouldn't it that you could refer too instead relying on guesses, or in my own case relatively limited experience.

I would as William mentioned try to charge time for travel, any meetings, and post processing too, not just shooting time. On my invoices I dont actually specify the rate, just the start and end time and total amount that includes everything if you can negotiate it. I personally just can't bring myself just to hand over images untouched, I'll at the very least level, crop, colour balance etc and weed out the crud shots so add in an hour of processing per three hours of shooting as that seems to be about right for me anyhow.

Good luck. Let us know how you go

chris_m
28-03-2011, 10:14am
Thanks for all the good discussion on this topic.
I'm going to decline the job as I reckon the real rate will end up around the $50 per hour mark.

The job will pay $110 per hour for time actually spent taking photographs at the local event. Although they are saying "shoot & burn" I would be doing a basic cull and edit of any images handed over, so that would add at least another hour to the job. With travel, time on site and editing it would be a 3 hour job for a total of $165. About $55 per hour (or less) will be the resulting hourly rate I reckon.

Redgum
28-03-2011, 5:12pm
That's a shame Chris. In reality the rate you were offered equates to $4000 per week (take photos and give them a disk) and I can fairly safely say no one on this forum earns that sort of money from that sort of work. Also, you won't know what other opportunities you may miss. You've just closed one of your networks down without experience.
And Kiwi, you're on the money with Moreton Bay Regional Council. The figures you suggest would top out most councils across this country. (I've just done a 2000+ shoot for them over the Hornibrook Bridge).

reaction
28-03-2011, 5:49pm
While I agree with Redgum I also think for $165 unless it's in my area of interest I wouldn't bother getting out to do the job - it's not like OP needs to put bread on the table with this. However I do love events and I would have done the job.

Longshots
28-03-2011, 7:35pm
That's a shame Chris. In reality the rate you were offered equates to $4000 per week (take photos and give them a disk) and I can fairly safely say no one on this forum earns that sort of money from that sort of work.

Would you care to explain how you calculated that equivalent rate of $4000 a week please ?

Even if you were stupendously fortunate to arrange 13.5 equivalent back to back 3 hour shoots during the week, (and most people talk about a 40 hour week, although we know that everyone works a great deal longer than that) that would at $50 per hour be just $2,000 per week, but even knowing one of the busiest event photographers in Australia isnt able to pull that one off. So thats just half of your equivalent of $4,000 per week.

The average running costs of a one man photographic business was discussed and debated by way of government and industry involvement, and the industry concluded that (by the way this is based on people who depend on this for a full time income, and not simply calculate on what they think would equate to "beer money", or additional income) in 2009, of total monthly costings/overheads, which included the photographers wages of $3334.00 per month (*before tax) - thats 833.50 per week - before tax - , that those costs were $8777.51 per month to run their business. Which when taking into account standard holidays, that the average running costs on a per hourly basis for an average photographer (who its assumed has already invested in capital equipment - ie that wasnt added into the equation, and that is a significant cost for any start up business), again assuming a 40 hour week, that the hourly running costs of being a photographer in business, worked out to be $59.85 per hour. Thats how much it costs to run their business with a wag, but not including capital investment and future capital investments (ie photographic and computer gear)

I see many people agree to work for less than that, and they can enjoy that luxury because, a) they have a primary income which gives them that option, and/or b) they cut corners and fail to equip themselves with many of the minimum legal requirements of being in business, or c) (AND THIS IS THE IMPORTANT ONE) within 2 years they are out of business, because they were not charging a rate that was sustainable.

and I can fairly safely say no one on this forum earns that sort of money from that sort of work.

And FWIW I'd beg to differ on what you think of as safe.

Longshots
28-03-2011, 8:22pm
Yeah, I can see why there's been a misunderstanding, all good. I was talking an hourly rate. It would be great if there was a standard rate card wouldn't it that you could refer too instead relying on guesses, or in my own case relatively limited experience.

I would as William mentioned try to charge time for travel, any meetings, and post processing too, not just shooting time. On my invoices I dont actually specify the rate, just the start and end time and total amount that includes everything if you can negotiate it. I personally just can't bring myself just to hand over images untouched, I'll at the very least level, crop, colour balance etc and weed out the crud shots so add in an hour of processing per three hours of shooting as that seems to be about right for me anyhow.

Good luck. Let us know how you go

You cant produce a rate card (we tried) because ACCC consider that as price fixing. We can try and point people to what is possible and what is not in the economic sums of doing business. And then that can be ignored by people who have no specific interest in making a profession out of something that they simply enjoy. Now there's no crime in that.

But its important relevant to not only include - and btw I didnt say try, if I said anything I would have implied that you should include in your calculations things like travel and pre and post production (however brief) because its all part of being a photographer.

The misunderstanding is that I assume whenever someone here asks for advice on what a professional should charge, that they are seeking that advice from a professional stills photographer that relies on their income derived in the first case, of professional stills photography. I think that without any offence intended to many here that is a fairly reasonable position ? I therefore think that its important when answering and debating with opinions, that to achieve the highest level of assistance to the OP's question, that some transparency wouldnt go amiss - ie "while I think this, and have experience of some selling of my photographic work, I charge a rate that is not based on a level of sustainability in the professional sense". Surely that is reasonable ?

Chris Michel
28-03-2011, 9:08pm
not sure if this is relevant but i am curious now ( after reading long shots and redgums posts ) to see how many full time professional photographers are actually members here... how many list photography as their main employment on their Tax return each year.

I @ M
29-03-2011, 6:33am
not sure if this is relevant but i am curious now ( after reading long shots and redgums posts ) to see how many full time professional photographers are actually members here... how many list photography as their main employment on their Tax return each year.

This thread (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?66595-) will give you some idea Chris.

Redgum
29-03-2011, 11:20am
Longshots asked?
Would you care to explain how you calculated that equivalent rate of $4000 a week please ?
Give me a call William, my financial planning company can give you a lesson on that. In simple terms that most understand we here in this country and in fact most developed countries quote our worth from our weekly or annual income. For instance a doctor might earn $200k pa or a tradesman/professional $100 per hour which equates to $4k per week. In fact it is the first question you are asked if you're looking for a bank loan and the ATO rely on this figure before giving any assessment. Even a person on salary regularly quotes "I'm on $60k per year. None of them bother to explain their expenses until much later on so in this conversation it's irrelevant.
The point I made and the point that most people make when looking at the worth of business is its potential earnings. In this case it was $300 for 1.5 hours of work (given no post production) which in reality is the equivalent of $8k per week. No one is arguing that you will get this work every hour of every day (except you) but it is the basis of a starting point. And for those good with business this is exactly how they start. In fact most accountants will ask you as one of their first questions what is the potential of your proposed business.
I'm sure Chris is not going to sit there and work out annual expenses for a single job, just simply what it would cost him to do that particular task but he does need to know the potential can be far greater than $200 per hour, once up.
In answer to your other question about photography, yes, for me it ranks only second to my five primary occupations in terms of income and well exceeds $4k per week which is publicly known. In fact this information is available through a search of any private or public company and is carried out at a frequency by Banks that would scare most people.

Longshots
29-03-2011, 11:53am
Longshots asked?
Give me a call William, my financial planning company can give you a lesson on that. In simple terms that most understand we here in this country and in fact most developed countries quote our worth from our weekly or annual income. For instance a doctor might earn $200k pa or a tradesman/professional $100 per hour which equates to $4k per week. In fact it is the first question you are asked if you're looking for a bank loan and the ATO rely on this figure before giving any assessment. Even a person on salary regularly quotes "I'm on $60k per year. None of them bother to explain their expenses until much later on so in this conversation it's irrelevant.
The point I made and the point that most people make when looking at the worth of business is its potential earnings. In this case it was $300 for 1.5 hours of work (given no post production) which in reality is the equivalent of $8k per week. No one is arguing that you will get this work every hour of every day (except you) but it is the basis of a starting point. And for those good with business this is exactly how they start. In fact most accountants will ask you as one of their first questions what is the potential of your proposed business.
I'm sure Chris is not going to sit there and work out annual expenses for a single job, just simply what it would cost him to do that particular task but he does need to know the potential can be far greater than $200 per hour, once up.
In answer to your other question about photography, yes, for me it ranks only second to my five primary occupations in terms of income and well exceeds $4k per week which is publicly known. In fact this information is available through a search of any private or public company and is carried out at a frequency by Banks that would scare most people.

While I respect your financial experience and prowess, clearly I doubt your ability to recall what was said by the OP and that the so called 1.5 hours would actually involve 3 hours work, which the OP stated as translating from the $165 to no more than $55 per hour "if that".

So rather than speaking to you personally I think it would be more enlightening to the forum if in your past career in banking could explain in detail how a potential earnings of 4K a week based on freelance offer of $55 per hour. Yes potential is always something we all like to consider, but surely any bank is going to assess how likely it is to translate one's full potential based on the current markets supply and demand.

BTW for the record, I didnt doubt your income, nor did I refer to any figure of $4 k per week other than referring to you making that statement re Chris turning that amount down.

But perhaps you would like to reread what you've said in this topic :

In reality the rate you were offered equates to $4000 per week (take photos and give them a disk) and I can fairly safely say no one on this forum earns that sort of money from that sort of work.

chris_m
29-03-2011, 12:16pm
I have thought again about what Redgum has said on gaining the experience and losing the contacts, so I have gone back to the council and I will be doing the shoot after all.
I'm going to do the work not so much for the money, but for the experience and to make some more contacts.

Redgum
29-03-2011, 12:27pm
Chris, I'm proud of you. You have everything to gain and nothing to lose by that decision. What would be really nice is for you to come back to the forum after the job and tell us what transpired, what you learnt and how you feel. I'm sure there are many others here that would love to hear. :)

Longshots
29-03-2011, 12:42pm
Chris, I'm proud of you. You have everything to gain and nothing to lose by that decision. What would be really nice is for you to come back to the forum after the job and tell us what transpired, what you learnt and how you feel. I'm sure there are many others here that would love to hear. :)

Well I wont disagree with you on that Redgum :) And an excellent suggestion to come back after the event and let the forum know how you get on.

chris_m
29-03-2011, 12:51pm
Will do.

My next task is to provide a Statement of Supply certificate with my invoice as I dont have an ABN.
I expect I will find this on the ATO web-site.

Is it worthwhile having an ABN even though I would be earning well under the minimum?

Longshots
29-03-2011, 12:58pm
Will do.

My next task is to provide a Statement of Supply certificate with my invoice as I dont have an ABN.
I expect I will find this on the ATO web-site.

Is it worthwhile having an ABN even though I would be earning well under the minimum?

In simple terms - Yes

reaction
31-03-2011, 5:53pm
Costs $ to get and manage an ABN... right?

Longshots
31-03-2011, 5:55pm
no - costs nothing to get an ABN ( as far as I recall)

Redgum
31-03-2011, 6:00pm
Yep! ABN's are free and can be easily arranged on-line in about ten minutes. And there's no ongoing management required. If you don't use it the ATO will contact you after about ten years but the number will always be allocated to you.

reaction
31-03-2011, 6:07pm
Oh, then any old popcorn like me can get an ABN and stick it on stuff without actually running a business?
Argh, and I was thinking ABN makes a dodgy website somehow legit... :p

how do you 'use' an ABN? eg in the OP's case the council will quote this ABN. The OP won't pay tax on income since it's under 20k. What happens to that council's $300?

Redgum
31-03-2011, 6:17pm
You're confusing the ABN with GST. These are two separate issues. An ABN needs to be quoted on any invoice you may issue otherwise the contractor will withhold 48.5% of the amount due to you for the ATO.
You only need to apply for GST when your annual income is expected to pass $50k for the business. Over $75k it's compulsory I think. With GST you need to do regular returns to the ATO.

kiwi
31-03-2011, 6:19pm
As said theres ABN, then registering a business (if necessary) and GST and they are all independent things although there are links between them, ie to register a business you need an ABN and also for GST I believe.

And you don't NEED to register a business if you carry on a business in your own name (read the rules) and you dont NEED to charge GST, but there are specifics you need to display on any invoice

Redgum
31-03-2011, 6:31pm
To do business you need an ABN. It doesn't matter at all if you are an individual (using your own name) or a registered business. If you don't have an ABN nearly half of your invoiced amount MUST be retained by the CONTRACTOR and sent to the ATO. You get this money back when you lodge your tax return. So you see, having an ABN is much easier. When you register a BUSINESS (Sole Trader, Partnership or Company) an ABN will issue. GST is voluntary for most businesses with turnover under $75k per annum (this amount needs checking as it changes from time to time.)

Wayne
31-03-2011, 7:06pm
I do some shoot & burn (no editing at all- hand over RAW files) for 2 of QLD Govt largest departments. I started working with one of them, and that networking led to the second dept contacting me. In a nutshell, I charge them $150/hr for total time spent including travel between home the location and back. They love it!

For me, it is interesting work sometimes and I do a fair bit of travel for one of them which equates to easy $$, but they are simple to deal with and with no editing, it is what I see as easy money. I won't get rich doing it, but it gives me something to do on my days off and offsets the cost of my gear. I would agree with those who have said $300 is fair for your proposed project provided it is as simple as it should be, but make sure you include in any quote, an additional hourly rate pro rata for additional time beyond the original brief.

Councils, although greedy and fast to collect $$ never like handing it over, however if you got greedy, they will have little trouble I think in finding a hobbyist who will do it for less.

I would be interested if the council is expecting as part of your statement of supply, a copy of your public liability policy with council named? They should be if they are doing things by the book, but this may be a way for them to save $$ because someone with the cost for that policy may want somewhat more $$.

Redgum
31-03-2011, 7:48pm
Health and Education, Wayne? I'm lead consultant to EQ for all things video and photographic so can I let them know you're happy to work for less? :)
Government departments love travel and it's nothing to do 4000/5000k's in a week with a number of projects going, especially video conferencing.
The old story, keep your rates at the right level and the work will continue.

ricktas
31-03-2011, 8:03pm
This thread is getting way off topic. State government departments are not local councils and the contracts or dealings members have with them has nothing to do with the thread topic. All future posts that are not related to the original topic will be removed

chris_m
10-04-2011, 4:53pm
Hi all, back again after the local event shoot.

The event ran as scheduled, well organized and attended. It was the launch of local youth artwork (http://www.hobsonsbay.vic.gov.au/Page/page.asp?Page_Id=6191&h=0)
Four young artists had created work that was printed onto large flags that are hanging beside the local skate park in Queens St, Altona Meadows.

My job was to photograph the proceedings, including speeches, presentations, general activity and a demo by the local kids on bikes and scooters at the skate park.

In all a fun afternoon. About 1 1/2 hours on site and about 1 hours for a basic cull, edit and burn to DVD.
The biggest challenge was working with the kids on bikes as they flipped and rolled through the air. Getting in close as they did 360's, back and front flips was exhilarating.

All work was done with fill flash from the SB600, as it was a very dull overcast afternoon. This made a big difference to all images.

Payment will be 7 days from my invoice which will be dropped off tomorrow with the DVD of images. Although its not a lot of money it all helps and I expect that further work will come along.
What is satisfying is the cooperation and enthusiasm from the people who make all these activities happen, most of these are volunteers with some full-time council arts people.

Another thing I learnt is that working with flash in this environment is both a challenge and lots of fun. I can see some of the earnings heading towards some more flash gear.
I reckon the skaters would only be to happy to have some more photos taken.

Another council project I am involved in is taking images of disabled people learning to sail. These guys have done a 10 week learn to sail course with the aim to come back and continue learning and maybe even compete one day. This was arranged through my camera club and the council. Funding is provided to the club for the project and we volunteer to make and produce the images.
The feedback from this project was amazing and very gratifying.

Mark L
10-04-2011, 8:46pm
Great story all round, well done Chris. :th3::th3::th3:

chris_m
11-04-2011, 8:48pm
Thanks MARK L

farmer_rob
11-04-2011, 10:43pm
Thanks for the update Chris. It sounds like a win all round.