PDA

View Full Version : business models for sports photography

spasmoid
24-03-2011, 4:50pm
Are there any sports photographers here?

I'd like to know what some of the best ways to make money from sports photography are. I'm not particularly fussy as to which sport, as long as I can photograph some interesting drama.

I've had some experience shooting beach volleyball, surfing, rugby, swimming, and polocrosse.

I appreciate that I can probably stumble my way through and eventually make enough money to justify time/effort/expenditure, but I don't have the luxury of too much time/effort/expenditure with mouths to feed on the home front. So I am looking for ways to get returns on investment relatively efficiently. I appreciate that there is always some cost/investment up-front. I just don't want that to blow out.

Help and shared experiences appreciated.

ricktas
24-03-2011, 5:01pm
I would suggest starting at local club level and working up. You will find that the big photographic companies have often tied the higher end of sports into contractual agreements and they are vigorous at ensuring their turf is not threatened. There are certainly some photographic companies out there, in the sports genre, who actively send legal letters out if others encroach on their areas.

So find some clubs, chat to the committee and see what you can get, but be aware there are a lot of others out there doing the same and you might get quite a few knock-backs before a positive response.

Seems like you want a 'fast way in', there isn't one, unless you suck up to the media organisations that control the top levels and get in the door that way, and then you shoot for them and lose your copyright over your photos to them.

junqbox
24-03-2011, 5:01pm
Taking photo's of sportspeople in compromising positions would probably be the most lucrative.

kiwi
24-03-2011, 6:05pm
To be blunt there is no money to be made that will pay back your time, effort and the cost of your gear

There, I said it. And I know.

Kym
24-03-2011, 6:14pm
Taking photo's of sportspeople in compromising positions would probably be the most lucrative.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?32857-Paparazzi-as-a-job

atky
24-03-2011, 7:46pm
If you find a plan that actually pays a reasonable hourly rate let me know, Ive been trying for a while.
Think Ive lost a heap of money over the past few years.

A Zed
28-03-2011, 9:42pm
havent lost money at this stage, but its no where enough to live off thats for sure. large kids sporting events, championship events, kids teams.
so far only kids stuff for me.
So far im happy with what its bringing in, unfortunately just have to keep the "real job" as well :(

spasmoid
30-03-2011, 10:15am
Thanks guys. Your input has been MOST HELPFUL :)

I LOVE sports photography, but as I suspected, I'll have to make my living shooting other stuff :(

Oh well. I suppose I could have still been writing code for a living!

kiwi
30-03-2011, 10:43am
I think it should be part of your portfolio probably though - you can get good odd jobs and contracts. I just dont think there's much opportunity for it to be a FT think, at least in Australia. Id guess there are maybe only 12 FT sport photographers in Australia....the vast majority do a lot of other press and agency work.

What you need to determine is the investment, normally as a general photographer I doubt whether you'd have an exotic telephoto like a 400 2.8 in your kit, but youd have to have one to do sport.

ricktas
30-03-2011, 11:16am
Agree with Kiwi. You will find most Pro's these days have diversified. Wedding photographers now shoot portraits and Engagement shoots, etc. The market is tight and sticking exclusively to one Genre is not necessarily a good idea.

Wayne
30-03-2011, 11:20am
I recently went to Bondi beach to shoot the Boost surf comp and there were a couple of guys there with big glass, and many with standard zooms like 70-200mm. I got talking to 2 of the guys who were both sporting Canon 500/4's and both had Getty stickers on the lens hoods. I was there with my 400/2.8 and mono etc. These guys told me they are part time Getty shooters and they get paid to shoot anything and everything not just sports. They said sports is probably 10-20% of what they do, and they reckon the $$ is crap. They don't own the gear and they asked who I shoot for (when they saw the $11K on the mono they assumed I'm shooting for someone) to which I said 3 people, me, myself and I.

They then asked who owns the gear? I said same 3 people. They were wondering how on earth I could make enough $$ shooting as a freelancer to pay for the gear I was carrying, and how or to whom do I sell the images. They thought Getty had it sewn up. I told them I was not so much there to shoot for $, but for the enjoyment and the challenge. They said basically it was 2nd income for them and not a great one at that even considering they have no investment in the gear.

kiwi
30-03-2011, 11:26am
Wayne, spot on I think. The guys I know who work for the agencies shoot sport as a sideline, and it's not lucrative. Worse is on spec or as a stringer.

There are some that probably do OK, ie those who have large contracts for school sports for example, but I really think the pro sport is pocket money or a sideline to most there.

ricktas
30-03-2011, 12:18pm
maybe shooting the sports stars for portraiture, promotional shots etc, would be worth considering, it you can get in that end, or papparazzi (Tiger woods with a lady), would probably earn you better money than shots of them playing their sports..hehehe

jeffde
30-03-2011, 7:33pm
I do sport for fun - do pick up some $ but i don't stress about sport making me money anymore.

A Zed
31-03-2011, 1:55pm
whilst on the topic - kiwi im after a lens recomendation. would a 400mm/2.8 be enough? (not worried about shorter stuff I have that covered. ) coupled with a 1.4x maybe ?
Im bringing in a few dollars here and there, and not worried about whether this will help at all with that, or what the initial cost is, but is this likely to bring me the best results in the widest array of sports, outdoors obviously - fingers crossed the expression of interest I just put in comes through.

not after something to make a FT living out of, but if it allows me to drop a day of my other job, or subsidises my other hobbies or a holiday its all Im after. (im a realist)

kiwi
31-03-2011, 2:03pm
Depends on what sport really. Most used lens is definatelly the 400 2.8, but 300 2.8 with a 1.4 tc on a crop body is OK too.