PDA

View Full Version : Parts Catalog for 5D MkII

Digiphilic
22-03-2011, 10:34pm
I have a parts catalog for 5D MkII in pdf (exploded schematic pictures of every part/component of the camera). Do you think it's worthwhile uploading to assist anyone looking for replacement parts?

If yes, can someone tell me how to upload a pdf file? I looked but failed.

Roosta
23-03-2011, 9:08am
Send Ricktas and or Kym a PM and ask.

ameerat42
23-03-2011, 9:52am
Y not just post the link? I don't think you could put the pdf file anywhere on the forum - copyright. Those who are 5D-2-philes will soon download it.
Am.
Edit: Oh, you mean it's not on the wwweb? OK, still copyright issues IMO.

KeeFy
23-03-2011, 4:16pm
http://5dmark2.wordpress.com/2010/06/23/5dmkii-parts-catalog/

Easier this way? :)

JM Tran
23-03-2011, 4:25pm
I find this to be almost useless as no one in their right mind, barring a Canon qualified technician and serviceman will even try to attempt to replace individual parts that is not the battery flap, eye cup or camera strap!

KeeFy
23-03-2011, 4:53pm
Actually... you'll be surprised how many people do such stuff.

If you have some technical knowledge or handyman skills. It's really not as hard as it seems.

I know many people who have stripped stuff apart, I myself have stripped a 1000D, numerous mobile phones, laptops, cd roms, etc etc for fixing. The most important thing is the ability to put them back together of course. LoL.

JM Tran
23-03-2011, 4:58pm
Actually... you'll be surprised how many people do such stuff.

If you have some technical knowledge or handyman skills. It's really not as hard as it seems.

I know many people who have stripped stuff apart, I myself have stripped a 1000D, numerous mobile phones, laptops, cd roms, etc etc for fixing. The most important thing is the ability to put them back together of course. LoL.

LOL for amateurs and enthusiasts thats fine, but for working people like myself who rely on it to put bread on the table, we just cant take that risk to have it fail at crucial moments!

Ive taken apart mechanical cameras like the old Nikon Fs and some Pentaxes, thats easy to put back together - but digital is a much harder beast to put together right I reckon, especially if you wanna replace electronics and boards.

ameerat42
23-03-2011, 5:00pm
Hmm. I clicked a few pages in, where I found a downloadable user manual for a 60D.

The link to the 5D parts manual gagged for more than a few minutes with the progress bar jammed half way. I closed it. Did it work for you?

ED: Thanks for the post, anyway. It looks an interesting site.

KeeFy
23-03-2011, 5:32pm
I did remember reading about some pros who did like working on their own cameras as well. But to each their own. :) If anyone is not confident of their ability to do it should clearly not attempt to do so.

ameerat: User manual or parts catalog?

Digiphilic
23-03-2011, 6:48pm
This pdf catalog was emailed to me by the parts supplier and it helped me to identify the right part numbers to order. I was thinking along the line if any members need to identify a part, this would be very helpful. And it's good to see how the camera is put together schematically.

I would agree there isn't a lot of bits you would want to DIY but there are a few parts there that you can certainly DIY.

DSLR is such a complex thing and I wouldn't want to disassemble it without thorough knowledge how to put them back.

ameerat42
23-03-2011, 8:33pm
Keefy. I couldn't get the service manual. Not that I needed it, but I was wondering about the link.
BTW, you only posted a link. You don't have to justify your actions.
Am.

KeeFy
23-03-2011, 8:43pm
Who do you buy from? Care to share? :D

Art Vandelay
23-03-2011, 10:02pm
Thanks, downloaded ok over here.

Be handy to keep on file. I spot a damaged mkii every now and then on ebay and consider getting it for a project. If they go for a hundred or maybe 200 I'd be keen but even some of the water damaged insurance write offs have been going for 7 and 800 !!

KeeFy
24-03-2011, 11:05am
Keefy. I couldn't get the service manual. Not that I needed it, but I was wondering about the link.
BTW, you only posted a link. You don't have to justify your actions.
Am.

I'm trying to find the 7D parts catalogue but it seems like no one has leaked it out yet! Darn. Thought maybe you got lucky with the 60D.

KeeFy
24-03-2011, 11:07am
Thanks, downloaded ok over here.

Be handy to keep on file. I spot a damaged mkii every now and then on ebay and consider getting it for a project. If they go for a hundred or maybe 200 I'd be keen but even some of the water damaged insurance write offs have been going for 7 and 800 !!

I know. Madness izzin't it. And the worst thing is i've seen them bought by people. Sheesh.

ameerat42
24-03-2011, 1:36pm
Five pages into the site you'll find the 60D User Manual (http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/9/0300004019/01/eos60d-im-en.pdf). The pdf document does not have a Table of Contents feature, although you can search on terms. I am sure I've seen a better working version (same manual, of course) on a Canon website.
Am.

Bennymiata
24-03-2011, 3:03pm
Five pages into the site you'll find the 60D User Manual (http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/9/0300004019/01/eos60d-im-en.pdf). The pdf document does not have a Table of Contents feature, although you can search on terms. I am sure I've seen a better working version (same manual, of course) on a Canon website.
Am.

I think that both Canon's US site and European site has the instruction manual for the 60D, as this is where i downloaded my copy, as I bought a grey import that didn't come with the instruction book.
Be warned, however, it is a few hundred pages long, but if you can print double sided, and print 4 pages on each side of an A4 page, it isn't too bad.
If you have a smart phone, you can also download it to your phone, so it is always handy when you're out shooting.

ameerat42
24-03-2011, 3:09pm
Thanks, Benny. Years ago I gave up printing long manuals. Now they just sit as references on the drive.
:D