PDA

View Full Version : Video recording keeps auto stopping canon 600D

Bella01
20-03-2011, 11:39am
Hi,
I am new to the DSLR world and have just purchased the Canon 600D and Sigma 17-70mm macro. I have a Sandisk 16 GB SDHC card.....is this card too slow for video as each time I record I only get approx 30 seconds before it automatically stops. The indicator does appear on the right of the screen as a warning. If this card is too slow can anyone recommend a fast card for video and still shots? Any help appreciated.

Kym
20-03-2011, 12:09pm
:gday: & Welcome - lets see some images in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5-.-CONSTRUCTIVE-CRITIQUE-Members-Photos-.) and have fun!
If you want to meet other members then check the Forums / Community / Groups link; also the meet-ups forums!
Also you may wish to have a browse of our new and evolving Library. (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php)

1. Make sure the camera has the latest firmware

2. Card speeds are determined by class.
HD Video usually need at least class 6 or class 10. Get a Sandisk Extreme (Class 10) card, most shops would even let you test it first.

arthurking83
20-03-2011, 4:12pm
I'm fairly sure that most non video specific devices will be set to limit the record time as the default config.

That is, somewhere in the camera's setup menu , you should be able to set a record limit for the device. There may be a variable time or size limit that the user can configure.

:confused013

If it is card speed related, the forst thing you would do is to lower the sample rate and, for example use 720p mode and see how that helps.
I just had a look at the video specs, and it seems you need a card that is at least capable of sustaining 5.5Mb/s over the long haul.
Not all SD cards can do that, I have some that can, and others that can't.
Note that this is the write rate, not the read rate too.

Simple and easy way to see how close to the mark you card is, is to tansfer some large files to and from your PC to the card and watch the lowest recorded write speed. If it dips below the 6Mb/s mark for too long, then a faster card may be the answer!

Roosta
20-03-2011, 7:31pm
Check your menu settings, should go upto 12 minutes recording. (http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=HomePageAct)

Have fun.

Bennymiata
21-03-2011, 12:19pm
I had the same problem with my 60D.
If, when actually doing the recordings, you see the little bar graph indicator on the screen on the top right, it means your card can't write as fast as the camera is trying to shove it in and the camera is trying to record the video to its buffer.
When this icon appears, you have about 5 seconds before the recording will stop

There are a few reasons why this happens.
Your SD card needs to be a class 10. Class 6 cards will work too, but must be empty when you start the recording.
Even Class 10 cards will stop, if the card you are using has a combination of photos and videos on it, as the card doesn't seem to write as fast when there are already mixed files on it, for some reason.
When doing videos, I suggest you use a freshly formatted card so it won't stop all the time.
However, I have found that while the camera will stop with a loaded card, if you keep pressing the record button, after one or 2 more attempts, it will start recording without stopping.
I haven't tried this yet, but it might also be an idea to have a few different folders on your card, and use one exclusively for video only.

Once you get over a few small hurdles like this, you'll be very pleased with the video on the 600D, but don't forget that HD video taken with a sensor this big, makes huge files, so if your card isn't 100%, you can expect it to stop recording every now and again.
Don't forget to manually focus too, as the auto focus when vodeoing is really slow and horrible, but if you set up the shot first and pre-focus the camera, and using manual settings, use a small aperture, you'll get a good depth of field and focussing won't really matter too much.
I have a lot of fun videoing tiny things like ants, using a macro lens with extensions, handheld, and have to focus manually, and it's fun!

The quality of the video is really excellent though, and far superior to my expensive Sony HD camcorder, that uses tapes.

ice
21-03-2011, 3:48pm
I had the same thing happen to my 550D- i didnt have my class 6 SD card in. Soon as i put it in- the recording went as long as i wanted it to! Good luck. Cheapchips.com.au is a great site for picking up SD cards :)