PDA

View Full Version : insects in my garden

aussie girl
19-03-2011, 9:42pm
Here is a selection of insects that I captured in my garden today:)

AnzacPride
19-03-2011, 9:50pm
Looks like youve got a bit of variety there,
One tip, You dont need to shrink youre pics so much for posting. Most of your shots are at 30-40kb,
If you resize from original pics try to get as close to 250kb as possible making for a nicer pic to post

Cheers Dan

aussie girl
20-03-2011, 6:51pm
Thanks for that tip Dan, Unfortunately I dont have a really good program to do that. I have only got Microsoft Office Picture Manager and that is limited. I reduced the picture to 1024x768 mp but then the file was still too big, and the preferences for compression were very limited.

AnzacPride
20-03-2011, 7:58pm
Im sure there are some good free options that will give you more versatility for resizing youre shots. Try Picasa from Google, Its good for cataloging yore shot, has some good basic editing options and is free to download the full version.

Cheers Dan

ameerat42
20-03-2011, 8:00pm
Aussie girl. Didn't it come with Olympus Master 2 software? Do you shoot in raw? Does the program allow some basic editing? If you use mainly 8-bit jpegs and tiffs, get the free software called The Gimp.It's a bit of a clunker to start with but it does a lot with 8-bit files. It is found here. (http://www.gimp.org/downloads/)
Am.

aussie girl
20-03-2011, 8:21pm
Yes it came with the Olympus Master 2 programe. I have had the camera set on Large Fine, not raw mainly so that I can fit more photos onto my cards, but I have heard that most serious photographers shoot in raw so that they can edit their images easier (?) I have played around with the Master 2 and found a window that will allow me to specify how many mps I want the photo to be converted to. I have converted a couple of photos and entered them into 2 of the current competitions.
THanks for all the helpful information everyone...this is just what a beginner needs :)