PDA

View Full Version : Sigma 530DG Super help needed

Kat
18-03-2011, 2:41pm
Hi there,

I am finally going to try my hand at off camera flash, I have been using a Canon 420EX but have not been able to have too much control with it so I have a purchased a Sigma 530 DG Super, now I am having a go using it according to the manual and I cant get the flash to fire, it doesnt state in the manual (or not where I can see) that I need a transmitter to do this, it does say you need the pop up flash to go off in slave mode, this is quite hard to do considering I have a 5D which doesnt have a pop up flash, and thats not what I would want to do anyway.

I shoot sports and will be using the flash for cycling, motorbikes etc

Do I just need to get one of these? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/YONGNUO-RF-602-flash-Trigger-C3-Canon-50D-5D-5D-II-/280588235823?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41545cb42f#ht_7472wt_1030

I am guessing so, apologies if I have missed the part in the manual that states I do need this, I have read it over and over and tried to get it to work to no avail

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Kat

Kat
18-03-2011, 3:06pm
Dont take any notice of the link above on ebay, I think that is the wrong model for my flash, I was just looking at camera model compatibility, in any case do I just need to get a wireless trigger? Thanks

I @ M
18-03-2011, 4:03pm
If the manual says that it needs an optical trigger ( built in flash ) then it is going to rely on that to trigger it.

The Yongnuo RF-602 triggers do a very good job and are great value for money -- but -- you will have to make sure that they work with the Sigma flash unit.
They may not.

Kat, you have been a member here for quite a while but we generally only ever see posts from you asking questions and then you don't come back until you have another question.

Join in more regularly and I will post the name, address and phone number of a man in Melbourne who will be able to help you with any enquiry that you have on those triggers.

Kat
18-03-2011, 5:10pm
Thanks Andrew, I found a guy in Melbourne who sells these triggers, might be the same guy http://protog.com.au/yongnuo-wireless-flash-sync-trigger-ctr301p-p-193.html I will get a trigger from him and have a play with it then

And apologies for not joining in on the forums as often as I maybe should but between work and uni (final year photography student, yay!) I don't have time to jump on here all the time, so it is generally when I get stuck with a problem that I do jump back on for advice

I @ M
18-03-2011, 5:14pm
might be the same guy

Sure is. :D

He is a site advertiser and his service is excellent. :th3:

Geoff
24-03-2011, 12:45am
Bit late to the thread but anyway...
Yes the Sigma 530DG Super can trigger optically (very handy at times) but that's not a terribly good combination with a 5D sans flash.

There are a bunch of wireless triggers out there that'll happily fire them - I use a Skyport and a Hama hotshoe adaptor/cord combo if I want to do mine. A reciever with a hot shoe built in should do the job without too many problems.

I haven't used that flash in a little while - I do remember that to get it to trigger I had to put in in a manual mode that I wasn't quite expecting - sorry I can't be more specific. My advice would be to keep cycling through modes on the flash and testing the trigger until you hit the one that works. Perhaps you'll find it more intuitive than I did :)

Solid flash for the money IMO.