PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Ringflash that works!!

Bennymiata
18-03-2011, 2:20pm
I've been wanting to buy a ringflash for some time, but was always put off by the high prices of these items.
I have seen the ones that just bolt onto the front of your speedlights, but I wasn't impressed by the way they just re-direct the light and they are just so messy to fit and keep all together.
I also looked at the Sigma ringflash, but I didn't like that it just had 2 small strobes built into the sides of the unit as I wanted something that gave a smooth, round light.
While trolling through the net last week, I saw a ringflash that was selling for just $120.00, so I thought I'd give it a go.
I recieved it yesterday and played around with it last night when I got home from work.

I was blown away!
It actually works, and works very well too.
The camera (Canon D60) handles the flash nicely, and the flash does adjust through the camera.

Here's a couple of shots I took last night, in the dark using my Canon 60mm macro lens on auto focus.

This is a true ringflash with one, circular light.
I took a pic of the ring to show you too.

While I found that if working close to your subject, especially if it is white, the full auto setting will give you some blown highlights, but with a little adjustment, as you would normally do for macros, like aperture etc., it works very nicely, especially for the money.
I found the maximum effective distance is 2-3 metres, so it's quite good for portrature as well.

The flash came from a site called Dino Direct.
I have also bought a LED video light from them a while ago, for $50.00, and that also works well.
I have no affiliation with Dino, just passing on something that may interest some of you.

robz
18-03-2011, 7:54pm
Thanks for the tip. Its something I've had in mind to add to the kit. :rolleyes:although a new K5 body seems to be taking priority in the savings at the moment.

rafikicat
02-04-2011, 2:43pm
I also recently bought a ring-flash, for $129.00 plus postage from an american site, Photogearfinder, which works on my Canon 5D Mk.11 very well, however perhaps someone can explain something that confuses me - the top section of the controller swivels up and down and has a "bounce head scale", and as it's a ring flash, what does this actually do because, of course, the flash comes from the ring around the lens.
I'm sure someone here will know.

carolb
05-04-2011, 6:08pm
Thanks for the leads!

Those are interesting results!

I was tempted to get the Orbis or Ray flash o-ring just to experiment , saw an el-cheapo version online but it looked like it was going to break the poor flash! LOL!

Might give them a try!

I'm curious to test it out for single portraits...

Thanks again!

reaction
08-04-2011, 1:23pm
Sounds like a good buy!

Just beware that Dino Direct has been known to steal pro-togs' photos to use as their product images (for unrelated products).

see

neilvn (http://neilvn.com/tangents/2011/02/24/dino-direct-image-theft-and-blatant-misrepresentation/)

TieNN89
12-04-2011, 8:42am
Hi Benny,
I'm pretty sure I know you from somewhere :)

Do you have any pics of the macro flash itself? or is it this one? http://www.dinodirect.com/Canon-Speedlite-EMOBLITZ-DRF14C.html

Bennymiata
19-04-2011, 3:19pm
That's the one Tien.
It seems to work well, and I've used it a lot for work and play, and it seems to be holding up really well.
Tien, you might know me from the MX-5 Club?

As far as the bounce head is concerned Rafikat, I would imagine that they make various model flashes, and just use the same plastic mouldings for the control unit.
Moving it up or down has no effect on the outcome, but pushing it horizontal makes the camera and flash less top heavy..

TieNN89
22-04-2011, 2:16pm
Tien, you might know me from the MX-5 Club?

Yup :) mx5cartalk

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk