PDA

View Full Version : Tethering a Pentax

Mat
17-03-2011, 10:52pm
I did a search last year for tethering a Kx and found that there was no way at the time to do it. But I just searched again and I am happy to say that I found a program that claimed to work on "Pentax k-x, K7, K5, k-r, K20D, K10D, K200" so I gave it a go and well it worked. It is still in beta but so far so good.

Here is the link http://www.pktether.com/

StanW
18-03-2011, 8:34am
Have you used the program> ANy advice or comments?

Mat
19-03-2011, 12:07am
I have given the program a go but haven't done a lot of in depth tests.

There is no LIVE view however there is a large preview of the last image and smaler views of the photos still in the camera's buffer. You can save or delete in this view or have the program auto save to a user selectable location and file name (with sequence).

You can adjust the following on screen,
Aperture, shutter speed, exposure compensation, ISO (but did not change in manual mode) white balance, flash mode, flash strength, shutter mode and file type including JPG size and quality.

There is also the Green button, auto focus and a shutter release.
Time lapse functions can also be performed via the Periodic Shooting feature. Here you can select the interval (min 3sec), the shutter duration if shooting in bulb and a selectable maximum amount of shots (9999 max)

So far the program seems to have great potential and I will use it if I need to take more product shots for work.

WhoDo
19-03-2011, 9:17am
Great stuff, Mat! The missing piece of the Pentax puzzle for me, too! And to end up with a FREEWARE version as well? Noice, mate! :th3::th3::th3:

bdparker
27-03-2011, 4:53pm
Thanks Mat for the link.
the software is pritty cool, the only problem with it at the moment it that it is very hungery on the memery, so (on my laptop) it stalled after six shots and would save what was still on the screen.... had to close down and start again.

thats the only con with it, but it's still in beta stage.

P.S. I have left the same comments on the developers site

ricstew
30-03-2011, 6:43am
I am looking to download this at the weekend......a couple of questions if any one can answer?
I want to use this for my camera on a pole.........so if I have my camera up in the air and tethered will it show me where I am pointing or only after the shot? Will it run some of the more advanced settings like bracketing? I am waiting for a 5 metre cord to arrive!
cheers
Jan

Mat
30-03-2011, 7:44am
Jan:
There is no live preview so you will need to take a shot of two for framing. There is a bracketing menu in one of the buttons but I have not been able to get it working. However you can do it manually but this means there will be more time between shots. As the program is free there is no harm in giving it a go.

darkbhudda
30-03-2011, 3:24pm
Nice find. Lack of LiveView is an inconvenience but the workaround is acceptable while they keep developing.

Only problem is that now I'm tempted to get a laptop instead of a desktop PC when I go to upgrade.

ricstew
30-03-2011, 4:35pm
Thanks Mat! I am gonna give it a go....The bracketing doesnt worry me so long as I have some idea where the dang camera is pointing. I am a bit hit and miss at the moment. A camera on a very tall stick is quite hard to aim! :p.... I have a shoot this weekend where I need the added height. The plan is to have the laptop on a stand thing next to the pole so I can drive the camera more easily .........:lol:
cheers
Jan

StanW
05-04-2011, 7:08am
I've given it a trial run on my PC and laptop. It works perfectly. It'll be interesting to see if there's further development.

chrisg
10-04-2011, 8:26pm
thanks Mat, this is great :-)

Kym
20-01-2012, 10:47am
A new version is available... Released 10 Jan 2012
http://www.pktether.com/new-version-0-6-1
http://www.pktether.com/downloads

Yay!!

Mat
20-01-2012, 11:30am
You beat me to it Kym :)

Grantley
29-01-2012, 11:06am
For K5 users there is a similar yet different approach. You can connect the K5 to a full HD monitor / TV via a HDMI cable. I am trialling it on a 26" Teac in my fledgling studio and it works well. I tried it on my laptop but the HDMI connection is apparently out put not input....there is probably a way around that for the tech savvy (& that counts me out ! )
Cheers
Grant

Mat
02-05-2012, 11:03pm
New version now available 0.6.5
http://www.pktether.com/downloads

(I have to be quick before Kym finds it :lol:)

StanW
23-08-2012, 6:55am
I can't persuade it to open. Any advice?

Kym
23-08-2012, 8:54am
I can't persuade it to open. Any advice?

The zip file? If so try clearing your cache and re-downloading or using another browser.

le Nordiste
29-06-2015, 6:11pm
Thanks for this very interesting post,
BUT i am owner of a K100D, is there a tether available for it ?
Thanks in advance,
Le Nordiste (France)