PDA

View Full Version : Photographers website "about me"

ricktas
14-03-2011, 9:27am
Just some observations that I was wondering about, and would be interested to hear members views on.

I often come across photographers websites where the 'About Me' is done in the third person. "Mark has been a professional photographer since 1997, and he has won many industry awards in that time. Mark has always been business orientated and that comes across when you first meet him. He is a true professional on every level"

I find these 'third person' biographies really annoying, and wondered what others thought, and if you have one, why?

Next up, is a photograph. How come most do not have a self portrait, even a small one, on their 'about me' page? My view is that it is nice to see at least one photo of the photogapher.

Would be interested to see what other members think, regarding the above.

kiwi
14-03-2011, 9:43am
No photo, I want to get business !!!

I @ M
14-03-2011, 9:52am
Self written third person writing on web sites should be made a punishable offence under the laws of this land!!!!! ( Mongo excepted :D )

Self portraits????
Do you mean every photographer with a website should have a pic of themselves shot in the bathroom mirror with a P & S against a background of shampoo bottles and undies drying on the shower rail???? :eek: ---- Pass. :D

Dan Cripps
14-03-2011, 10:02am
The word 'passion' should also be banned from photography bios. It's the most ubiquitous and over-used term out there. I would guess it (or a variation of) appears in 7/10 photographer bios.

MarkChap
14-03-2011, 10:08am
Have you been looking at my page again Rick ??

Could it be that these websites are actually produced by a third party, given the details/ bio of the photographer and actually written by a third party with out thought for how it comes across in real life ??

Art Vandelay
14-03-2011, 10:27am
I thought your bio page was like a competition for how long you've been using a camera.

Photography became my lifetime passion from 6 mths old when my grandfather first sat me on his knee and taught me to use his box brownie....

farmer_rob
14-03-2011, 10:32am
If it is in the third person, then it should be "About Rob", not "About me". I don't care if it is in 3rd or 1st, just consistent.

Andrew - I'd hope that a photographer selling him/herself is able to manage a decent self-portrait. If you are trying to make a connection with people, then a picture of who you are helps.

Zeke - I'm off to remove passion from my smugmug page:D.

CherylB
14-03-2011, 11:12am
Agree wholeheartedly! I personally think it comes across as very pretentious on a website for a single photographer. It only works when the website is about more than one photographer.

Could it be that these websites are actually produced by a third party, given the details/ bio of the photographer and actually written by a third party with out thought for how it comes across in real life ??

Mark - regardless of who actually creates the website, it should be in the first person. If a photographer commissions somebody else to produce their website, then the brief should be explicit in saying the "about" page is written in the first person. Website creators are creating a website for a client - not for themselves! If this information isn't provided by the client then the website creator should at least be asking.

ameerat42
14-03-2011, 11:34am
Readers will soon tire of the whim(p).
:(
I agree that Mongo is the 1st of the third persons!! (Maybe there's a place for 2nd.)

Erin
14-03-2011, 12:27pm
If ever I write anything about myself in the third person, I simply ham it up. I've never enjoyed that sort of "about me" page.

JM Tran
14-03-2011, 12:28pm
I wrote mine on facebook as a big spoof and in a humorous and politically wrong manner:)

soulman
14-03-2011, 1:42pm
If it is in the third person, then it should be "About Rob", not "About me".Indeed.

Back in the days when what one saw in print tended to be produced by professionals, bios would be written by someone other than the subject. Now that nearly anyone can "publish" their work and far too many do, there are a lot of things written by people who know less than enough about spelling, grammar and other rules of writing. I think it's the same with photos. Most professional bios have a picture. It's good to be able to put a face to the person you're reading about.

jim
14-03-2011, 1:54pm
Jim agrees with Rick on this particular occasion. He believes that referring to oneself in the third person is characteristic of a certain pretentious quality, and betrays that the person might well be, as it were, something of a tosser.

PerfectPicture
14-03-2011, 2:53pm
Theres somebody on here that ALWAYS writes his or hers responses in the 3rd person, is this also annoying to you guys as well? just wondering, as l find it quite funny actually. But George is getting upset (from seinfeld) :)

bb45pz
14-03-2011, 3:03pm
I think people do it to depersonalise somewhat. Using 'I' all the time doesn't come across all that professional IMO, it's too close a connection to a viewer that you don't know personally.

I'm slightly guilty and use 'we' when really it's just me.

***flame away***

bobt
14-03-2011, 3:50pm
I have a club member who does that. If he wins something he writes to our magazine (or asks someone else to) with a report that appears to be from a third-party reporter - eg "Jack has recently been awarded such and such". I think he feels that it is a more prestigious report if it appears to be someone else writing it about him rather than just telling us about it himself.

He also has a website with the same approach. "Jack is a member of this and that and takes wonderful photos .... Jack can be contacted at...."

Personally, Bob thinks he's a ####er ..... :)

MegHenry
14-03-2011, 4:18pm
Lol! You guys had me laughing at the end of all this :D And now I'm proud to say that I've never used 3rd person when writing about myself (which I really only do when I'm bored anyway). The 'About Me' section of things is usually left until the next time I get bored, so yeah lol. I've now got a list of things not to do for it in the future, thank you :D Haha :)

ameerat42
14-03-2011, 4:25pm
I have a club member who does that. If he wins something he writes to our magazine (or asks someone else to) with a report that appears to be from a third-party reporter - eg "Jack has recently been awarded such and such". I think he feels that it is a more prestigious report if it appears to be someone else writing it about him rather than just telling us about it himself.

He also has a website with the same approach. "Jack is a member of this and that and takes wonderful photos .... Jack can be contacted at...."

Personally, Bob thinks he's a ####er ..... :)

Ha-ha, Bob. Tell him you're all getting namesake of it.....
Am.

Xenedis
14-03-2011, 4:27pm
I find these 'third person' biographies really annoying, and wondered what others thought, and if you have one, why?

i also find biographies written in the third-person to be annoying, probably because they sound like they were written by the subject in such a way to make it look as though someone else wrote them, and frankly, they're as convincing as a fake Rolex.

Next up, is a photograph. How come most do not have a self portrait, even a small one, on their 'about me' page? My view is that it is nice to see at least one photo of the photogapher.

I'm one of these people who specifically doesn't post images of self.

Who I am and how I appear is not important; what's important is the imagery I produce.

Xenedis
14-03-2011, 4:51pm
One other point I should mention is that, in this visual medium, a picture (ie, the merchandise, not the mugshot) is worth a thousand words.

Some (auto)bios sound like over-done sales spiels.

If the photographer has "been photographing weddings for 20 years, and always leaves his clients with an outstanding product they'll truly remember...", then surely the sample images on the site should convey that without the photographer verbally self-indulging.

Something further about images of the photographer on the bio page... Are they really necessary?

When you call a plumber to come and repair a broken pipe, do you need to see a smiling mug on the tradie's Web site, depicting the bloke smiling like a Cheshire cat while holding a wrench?

If I were engaging the services of a professional of any kind, I'd care far less about how (s)he appears than how well (s)he performs the job.

Namus
14-03-2011, 5:01pm
Jim agrees with Rick on this particular occasion. He believes that referring to oneself in the third person is characteristic of a certain pretentious quality, and betrays that the person might well be, as it were, something of a tosser.

^^ Definitely agree; I just don't really see any need for it - my $0.02.

kiwi
14-03-2011, 6:16pm
What about using "we" when it's only "I" ?

farmer_rob
14-03-2011, 6:33pm
Xenedis, I'm guessing you don't have an "about me" section on your website - since your view is you are selling the product and not yourself?

In general though, product does not sell itself - the words and descriptions that back up a photographer's images (or any other product) are all part of the marketing and sale of the photography business, and taking about the photographer also fits in. I think it is a dangerous road to travel to consider that *all* you are selling is the final image - although a detailed argument is perhaps moving off-topic here.

Kym
14-03-2011, 6:37pm
Me good Tog! Me win awards! Buy my stuff!

Longshots
14-03-2011, 6:39pm
Well sometimes Kiwi, a shoot involves more than just the photographer, and the photographer is relying on a team of people, so the "we" is quite reasonable and accurate description.

kiwi
14-03-2011, 6:45pm
Fair point, but, often it's used just to make one look more substantive for that alone (guilt as charged). I must revisit my own websites and see what other crimes against terminology I've committed

bb45pz
14-03-2011, 6:50pm
Fair point, but, often it's used just to make one look more substantive for that alone (guilt as charged). I must revisit my own websites and see what other crimes against terminology I've committed

ummm, guilty also.

Longshots
14-03-2011, 9:57pm
I'd maintain that the "we" has a place, and I'd change nothing because of a suspicion of cynicism. I'm more concerned that I'm communicating to a prospective client in an honest fashion.

Bear in mind that my comments are based on earning a living from photography. And that is what my site's purpose is.

I'm more concerned that there are people out there that think its ok to use stock photography in their "portfolios" or "galleries", because they're incapable of reaching a basic level of photography. I find that unbelievable and yet it happens all of the time. Worse is when I hear of others who've had their work stolen and are currently displayed on other "photographers" websites to illustrate the thieving photographers apparent skills.

Or the standard claim that they _ the photographer - has the claimed ability to cover every aspect or field of photography, even when there is no proof or previous experience; or worse, that they _ the photographer _ are utterly ill equipped for.

Or the utter lack of a real name - not even one that is registered as a business - just an anonymous almost untraceable, email address.

Some dont even have the intelligence to state where they're based, making it slightly illogical for any prospective consumer to utilise their advertised services.

All of them to me are causes for concern that take a great deal more importance (no offence meant Rick), than:
"We"
Speaking in the 3rd person
or
Missing pics of photographers
:(

kiwi
14-03-2011, 10:12pm
Agree, using stock photos, or others photos is low

Longshots
14-03-2011, 10:17pm
Its not just low - its misleading and in the case of stealing someone elses images then thats illegal.

I also meant to add _ while on the soap box _ another pet peeve is those who claim they're members of a professional association when they are not.

For those who indulge in that one - you might like to note the 2 firms recently fined a total of $145,000 for doing exactly that. http://goldcoast.iprime.com.au/index.php/news/prime-news/gold-coast-businesses-fined-145000

mercho
15-03-2011, 7:41am
I almost wrote mine in 3rd person when i was setting my site up a couple of years ago, but went 1st person, I think it has more of a "personal" feel than the 3rd person, however I have also seen some well written 3rd person bio's as well, so I guess its all depends on how its written.

I have been meaning to update mine, as I feel its not very professional, and to be honest I was thinking about taking away the photo of my ugly mug :o

jameslagden
15-03-2011, 8:59am
Surely you can't call yourself a professional photographer if you have to write your own bio page!

I do like it when people get confused and switch between the first person and third person.

OzzieTraveller
15-03-2011, 9:00am
G'day all

Firstly - thanks Ricki for raising this point - I had not considered it before
You have caused me to re-read my web site to see what was done for me via the design people

I can recall that they wanted 'reams of stuff' about me & my activities, which they then mashed around and uploaded - and I accepted it and thought it was done satisfactorily ~ but I never queried 1st or 3rd person references !!!

I will now revisit the text and consider my options :D
Regards, Phil

Kym
15-03-2011, 10:57am
@Kiwi ... new business names for you.

Peak Action Images International
Global Peak Action Images
Trans Pacific Peak Action Images
Outside Sport - Global Edition

I reckon you would sell at least 3 more images if you did that :p :cool:

kiwi
15-03-2011, 11:23am
meh, im saving my money for www.australiasianphotography.net.au

another chestnut though is using a company name when youve not registered that company name (also previously guily as charged)

bobt
15-03-2011, 5:07pm
I do like it when people get confused and switch between the first person and third person.

Especially confusing for the 2nd person in the middle! :eek:

ricktas
15-03-2011, 5:19pm
Surely you can't call yourself a professional photographer if you have to write your own bio page!

Why not? Go to any medical seminar and the Bio about the guest speaker is probably 95% of the time written by the speaker, or they provided all the information for someone else to put together into a summarising intro speech. I reckon it is probably the same in most industries.

Kym
15-03-2011, 5:28pm
Why not? Go to any medical seminar and the Bio about the guest speaker is probably 95% of the time written by the speaker, or they provided all the information for someone else to put together into a summarising intro speech. I reckon it is probably the same in most industries.

95% ?? I've often spoken at IT conferences / seminars. I've always been asked to provide a bio and that is invariably used verbatim in promo's; then adapted by the session chair in the intro, almost verbatim. It's standard practice and I have all that guff ready to go as needed.

Chinook
15-03-2011, 6:40pm
I have to agree with Rick on this one. I do not like to write about myself in the third person. If I have to wrote about myself I write in the first person. I do not like a lot of the "I did this" "I did that" There are many words out there if people only used the dictionary more. Just my opinion and I have nothing against anyone who does write this way.

kiwi
15-03-2011, 6:50pm
I've changed my website

"Hi, his name is kiwi and I am passionate about photography and people (and he loves kittens), I can take photos of you and her and me, weddings, sport, birds, and rainbows. I charge $50 per DVD and he is happy to work for free to get access to any rock concert. I'm also a member of Magnum and look like this <insert illegally downloaded photo of brad pitt>"

Better ?

Art Vandelay
15-03-2011, 6:51pm
Much betterer.

johndom
15-03-2011, 9:11pm
Vaguely on topic... I think Dean Sewells biopic is one of the best ive seen.
If you have met dean, you will know it suits him perfectly.
Here is the original- http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/08/12/1092102589367.html

I think the 1st or 3rd person varies to suit the size of the operation. As a one person band- 1st person, If you have colleagues also with bios, 3rd person.

johndom
15-03-2011, 9:22pm
double post

Dylan & Marianne
16-03-2011, 12:32pm
Marianne and my website is written in the third person.
My excuse being that there are 2 of us though ;)

It seems to be a fad these days - for example, when actors describe themselves in the third person....

rellik666
16-03-2011, 1:10pm
I think it should be in the first person and it is possible to write about me without using I all the time. But my biggest bugbear is getting resumes written in the 3rd person, that really annoys me. It immeidately makes me think that this person is so up themselves and I won't read it. To me it shows a lack of awareness and communication skill.

So I am with Rick on this. And a photo if not of you then of your best work please! :D

pmack
20-03-2011, 11:03pm
Well what about those genuine, modest people who do not like to write about themself, so they get someone else to do so?
I think it can be equally self indulgent and pretentious writting in the 1st person as it can be in the 3rd. I think it just depends on the context, and how it is written.

Craftypics
22-03-2011, 8:36am
If you are a photographer who shoots people ( ie weddings/models ) etc then I think you need a photo of yourself in your Bio and it better be a good one. If you were a landscape phototgrapher then I'd say its optional.

I might have to go check mine to make sure I haven't used the word "passionate" - I know I have in the past :rolleyes:

chamellieon
22-03-2011, 12:33pm
I've only just finished making my website... its so new I still havent editied my AP signature to include it...
I took my "about me" section a little differently. See below:

http://www.melsinclair.com.au/about-me/

I think it's still a successful way to win people over, but without being overtly pretentious

kiwi
22-03-2011, 12:40pm
Nice mel, but get someone to help you with the (over)use of ";" and "," and I'd probably realaign the right side of the text to align, it looks a bit messy

NikonNellie
22-03-2011, 11:21pm
Whew..... I think I have ticked all the right boxes with my website. :rolleyes:
I do have an "About Me" page written in the first person.
I do have a photo of me even though it's just from my eyes up as the rest of me is hidden by a cushion to hide my double chin.
I do only specify that I am avaible for one genre of photography.
I do have all of my own images in my gallery.
I do state where I am based ......and finally I also state that I am an amateur and don't claim to be a professional photog.

Bear Dale
23-03-2011, 1:26pm
What about the photographers that in their About me page us the word 'we' such as

"We at BlahBlah Photography strive to give you the best experience"
"We value our clients"
"We will do etc etc"

And you know full well that it's a one man band. Do they think that the we gives them some credence as to being a large 'outfit'?

Kym
23-03-2011, 2:00pm
I use the royal 'we' when writing site matters posts on AP, esp. in the context of site changes.
While I may have done the work, it is we AP (aka Rick) that is providing the change.
Often it is collaborative with Rick and the rest of the management team. Eg. other mods may have assisted.

Essentially... I = Kym's personal comment and We = AP information

Mark L
23-03-2011, 9:13pm
I've only just finished making my website... its so new I still havent editied my AP signature to include it...
I took my "about me" section a little differently. See below:

http://www.melsinclair.com.au/about-me/

I think it's still a successful way to win people over, but without being overtly pretentious

Maybe you could put AP in your links section. :):)
Agree with kiwi on text alignment.

sunny6teen
25-03-2011, 9:38pm
I have the definitve tog bio in my AP profile. just cut n paste and replace my name with yours.
problem solved

Finlaw
29-03-2011, 4:20pm
i'm not a pro but I do have a website. I have thought about puting a photo of myself up but I much prefer being behind the camera.

matt22
29-03-2011, 4:47pm
I was only thinking about this topic the other night, currently in the process of making a website and was on the bio / about me page, I find it very hard to write, not a big fan of writing stuff about myself, and when it comes to listing awards / training I have none to do with photography, sure I can list pages of training related stuff when it comes to emergency care and fire fighting, but somehow I don’t think that’s what people want to hear when it's on a photography site, lol so I have a rather big hole to fill....

Will be sure to leave out a few of the above mentioned "sucky words" when I do get it done...

sportsshooter
04-04-2011, 9:49am
I've done it, my about page is in the 3rd person.
But heading and page name is named: About the photographer

whytebate
04-04-2011, 8:06pm
I've done it, my about page is in the 3rd person.
But heading and page name is named: About the photographer

I prefer not to talk about Sarah like she isn't me ;o) I think either way is fine - it's about being clear & consistent. I like what you've done - Made it about the photographer. Good thing with that is, you can add an "s" & a new bio when you expand ;o)