PDA

View Full Version : How did you learn to post process your photos?

ricktas
12-03-2011, 9:02am
Another Poll. I am interested in finding out how members learnt to post process. If, like me, you learnt from several methods, this poll allows you to pick as many of those methods as you want, but remember we are looking for the primary ways you learnt.

MarkChap
12-03-2011, 9:38am
Self taught with the aide of a few good books and that wonderful resource, YouTube.

Thinking about signing up to Lynda.com for a while and see if I can't improve my skills

Wayne
12-03-2011, 9:59am
Same as Mark above, but I really have little creative talent or vision, so I not very good at it. Would really love to learn much more.

Avalon
12-03-2011, 10:02am
Did a Photography workshop with a small component of Post Processing involved. Started with Picasa, still love it, but upgraded to CS5.
Did a workshop specifically for Photoshop CS5 and also bought a DVD from a local trainer so I can stop/start/repeat what I've learned.
It's finally starting to make sense and I'm now enjoying the learning curve I'm on.

James T
12-03-2011, 10:28am
Primarily self-taught I think, don't really remember. Picked up a few tips and tricks from other photographers along the way.

Obviously still learning all time, I don't have any intentions of being a retouching pro though so I only look to learn what's going to be useful to me.

Analog6
12-03-2011, 10:46am
Mainly self taught by experimenting but in the last 2 years or so I have used web sites to gain knowledge of more advanced techniques. The single most useful website I have found (for me personally) is the master Classes at better Photography (there is a free one to try and see if you like it).

dbax
12-03-2011, 11:18am
A variety of methods for me, self taught , then a short course at a local community college, books, magazines, online forums and videos. I look at many things and use the ones that suit me.

Namus
12-03-2011, 11:28am
Combination of self-taught via T&E, advice/tips from other togs I've met, forums, google fu, and magazines; can't really say any one of those has been more dominant than another, as they have all had different advantages and drawbacks (for me anyway)

in2fx
12-03-2011, 11:30am
I have not learnt how to process my photos yet other than to open them, maybe crop them a little, resize them and then sharpen a little because the resizing them softened the images (just resently figured out how to do that :D ).

I hope to one day be able to afford something like Photoshop and then I will need someone to show me how to use it because I am not good at reading 'how to do' books :o

pmack
12-03-2011, 11:57am
After posting pics up on a forum years ago with simple contrast/contrast adjustments in photoshop, I learnt the basic tequnique of giving the image a bit of an s-curve instead after people posted reworks, and to be honest, since then i havn't really improved or advanced my methods much. I don't like to over process the images, and i've found with better equipment I have not needed to alter the photos as much as i used to anyway.
I can blend images and use masks etc and other tricky stuff, but haven't learnt a whole lot more on basic image processing. Still have lot to learn, just need to set aside the time!

adrian078
12-03-2011, 12:05pm
Much like some of the others, I learnt a lot through trial and error. I also picked up stuff from magazines, books, internet and friends. Most of the things I have learnt are processes that I use all the time and learnt or searched to learn them when I needed to do something different I didn't already know. I don't think there is any point learning all the tricks of PS or LR if you don't use them regularly.

old dog
12-03-2011, 12:35pm
pretty well self taught to start with and now graduating to book and you tube and other online video help. Great fun but boy is it time consuming.

Xebadir
12-03-2011, 12:57pm
Self taught, but with added influences. Some stuff ive picked up from forum(s), some stuff i've recieved instructions from a friend on, a book or two have taught me some useful tricks but one of the more useful ones for me has been Lynda.com, has given me some decent instruction over the more advanced techniques.

Darey
12-03-2011, 4:33pm
Trial & error, good books and YouTube videos.

Speedway
12-03-2011, 5:12pm
Mainly self taught with the click and see method, added to my skills with forums like this and magazine tutorial discs.
Keith.

triptych
12-03-2011, 8:47pm
Self taught, using internet tutorials and more recently youtube.

Boo53
12-03-2011, 9:53pm
Like most other, self taught, but I did enrol (twice) at the local TAFE for a course that was cancelled at short notice both times.

When I find the time I'd like to track down a course at a Melbourne based TAFE or other provider.

Mat
12-03-2011, 10:21pm
Basically I loaded up an image and tried out the filters and other tools and just observed what happened and then utilised what I learnt.

Tikira
12-03-2011, 10:30pm
Self taught too, through trial and LOTS of errors. The biggest problem is then forgetting what I did, and how I did it....

Wayne

ashey
12-03-2011, 11:13pm
Self taught and picking bits and pieces up of this site but a lonnnnnnnnng way to go.

mongo
12-03-2011, 11:25pm
Primarily self-taught - and by making many many mistakes. Good news is that Mongo practised so long on the mistake that he has just about perfected it :D

Roosta
13-03-2011, 3:13pm
Slowly and doing it all wrong the first, make that several times. LOL

I'm a lazy creature when it comes to techknowledgy, so I tend to brain suck others dry. Have the books, need to read and sit infront of Laptop and do.

rookie
13-03-2011, 3:26pm
dvd's from a pommy mag photo plus and a little from youtube.still not very good:(

Mary Anne
13-03-2011, 3:37pm
Self taught not that I know much as long as I can crop, sharpen and remove some annoying flower or leaf and the dust bunnies I am happy..

hawko02
13-03-2011, 9:26pm
Haven't really learnt yet.
trying to sharpen correctly and use a bit of curves. The only help/instruction has been from this site and its members.

PH005
14-03-2011, 9:47am
Self taught with some very handy advise from friendly members here on the site. :th3:

Erin
14-03-2011, 12:34pm
Definitely self-taught first, then internet searches (mostly of professional retouchers as opposed to photographers who think they know photoshop) and then magazines. Pretty much in that order. :)

Dylan & Marianne
14-03-2011, 12:44pm
mostly self taught - mainly, I looked at other people's pics that I liked, tried to figure out what they did to it, then looked for tutorials on how to do it.
youtube and www.photoshopessentials.com were my best friends! followed by the forums at luminous landscapes, and of course, from this forum particularly about wedding portraiture

Tjfrnds
14-03-2011, 3:41pm
Still learning and have a long way to go!
Learning mainly from internet searches and sometime video tutorials

MegHenry
14-03-2011, 3:58pm
The little that I DO know is mostly self-taught and picked up from random searches, forums (here is fantastic, :)) and the occasional magazine. I get the feeling that I'm barely scraping the tip of a massive ice-berg though, haha. God, I hope it won't be like the titanic :P Lol.

macrocephalic
14-03-2011, 7:31pm
I voted for trial and error, although I'm largely still in the "trialling and making lots of errors" stage.

jgknight
14-03-2011, 10:18pm
Self taught basic stuff. No internet, no computers (hadn't been invented yet). Got a job in a photo studio and spent the next 15 years in TV stills, commercial and fashion photography.
I used to purpose-create my own developers for the type of end result I needed and would be made up from the raw ingredients. It was fun to experiment. I started ti 1961. hmmm. 50 years ago this month.

Longshots
14-03-2011, 10:52pm
Self taught - and importantly I started by self teaching myself traditional darkroom techniques first, then digital came along in the 1990's, and adopted digital from its birth. Learning literally never ends - which is why I enjoy it so much :)

baldrick
15-03-2011, 10:33am
Self taught, after thirty years with my own dark room the principles are the same, it`s just easier. (and I don`t come out with a splitting headache)
Simmo

mikec
16-03-2011, 11:35am
I am mainly self taught but I have to say, being only 3 weeks into a Bach. of Photography I've already learnt more about post processing than all that time, well at least all the behind the scenes workings that inform what we do in post processing.

If anyone wants a good book I can highyl recommend Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers by Martin Evening. It's one of our text books but I wish I found it years ago now.

Bally
16-03-2011, 9:02pm
Is still haven't a valid reply. Learnt how to get specific jobs done via books occasionally, more often the interweb

NikonNellie
27-03-2011, 10:35pm
I learnt and am still learning by a number of different methods. I had very basic formal lessons, e.g Levels, Hue/saturation etc. Most of what I have learnt has been from the internet/this forum and reading books, as well as trial and error - not being afraid to give things a go. The undo button can be your best friend! :D

Irru
30-03-2011, 8:13pm
The video tutorials for Lightroom 3 on the Adobe website (along with trial-and-error).
I really do recommend those videos though.

Invictus
04-04-2011, 6:44pm
A mixture of methods for me.
Online tutorials, looking at others examples, but primarily self taught.