PDA

View Full Version : D300 Shutter problem??

Adrian Fischer
11-03-2011, 11:16pm
Greetings all. Ive have just noticed on my camera that when I adjust either shutter speed or aperture that every click of the command dials doubles the setting. So 1/125 jumps to 1/250 then to 1/500 etc (so Im missing 1/160 and 1/200). The same thing is happening with aperture. Every click doubles the setting. Ive done a green dot reset a few times, swapped lenses, cf card in and out, removed battery grip to run on internal battery, tried changing the mode. Im stumped. I have been caught out before with bracketing being turned on and not realising it (and cursing the camera for constantly changing settings). But I cant figure this out.

Can somebody help me out?

fillum
11-03-2011, 11:29pm
Adrian have a look at menu item b2 "EV steps for Exposure Contrl" in the Custom Control menu. You may have inadvertently set the increment to 1 full EV rather than 1/3 or 1/2. Although I would have thought the reset would have set it back to the default of 1/3 so might be some other problem.

Cheers.

Adrian Fischer
12-03-2011, 10:21am
HI Phil,

You were on the money...where do I send the cheque :D Thanks very much.

kiwi
12-03-2011, 10:51am
Yip, I actually think the default setting is one stop

arthurking83
12-03-2011, 11:34am
Another aspect to watch out for is that these are the kinds of settings one would make and then set in the memory banks.

If you have used the memory banks either for testign purposes or in actual use, what you do is to make wholesale camera settings adjustments, and then save these settings in the memory banks.
Because it can be tedious to delve into CSM menus and make changes that require 4 or 5 clicks, which is tedious, thememory banks make setting up the camera a lot easier to do, if you require different settings for various situations.

The default camera settings are for 1/3rd stops on all exposure controls, aperture, ISO and shutter.

So to check that this hasn't been a system wide setting, check your memory banks.
At the top of the CSM menu is a Custom memory setting, this memory bank allows you to save any CSM setting here, and you have 4 banks of memory from A to D.

(if the default camera setup is for 1 stop increments)
If you are currently in the A memory bank, and have set this CSM from 1 stop to 1/3rds stop increments, and then switch to memory bank B, C or D, then the shutter speed increment will revert back to the 1 stop increment and you are back to 'square 1'.

(if the default camera setup is for 1/3rd increments)
then somewhere along the road, you had(or someone else has) made a change to the camera whilst in that particular memory bank(eg. A)
but the other memory banks would have still maintained the 1/3rd increment setting. So swithcing from memory bank to memory bank also affects your camera settings.

So in this instance(which I think is the case), you coudl have also simply gone into the memory bank listings 'Custom setting bank' and have chosen any other bank, other than the one you were currently in(if there weren't also altered).

Apologies for complicating the issue, but it's another aspect to keep a track of.

:)