PDA

View Full Version : S95 and optical slaves

makro
11-03-2011, 2:02pm
Hi,

I am looking to get an S95 and was wondering if any one has used the S95 in conjunction with Canon flashes via optical slave? Any brand/store tips or links welcome.

MarkChap
19-03-2011, 12:54am
Haven't tried this myself, but there is no reason it shouldn't work.

If memory serves me, there is something about Canon flashes and optical slaves, I think you need to be careful to get ones that work with Canon. Something about resetting after firing ??
I will see if I can dig the information out

OzzieTraveller
19-03-2011, 10:40pm
G'day MR

While the "S95" doesn't ring bells, I have used optical slaves for many years ~ I have a box of 'em :rolleyes:
They are a simple device that is triggered by a distant flash to operate a slave flash to become the primary (often) or a subsidiary flash to the main flash ~

problems with modern "eTTL" flash guns & P&S camera flash with "red-eye reduction" actions, where these flashes fire twice or three times to create one actual exposure
ie- it means that the slave fires during the eTTL metering pre-flash or the P&S red-eye flash, and is over & done with by the time the main exporure flash is triggered

Last year I searched hi & lo without success for an optical trigger with a [slider] switch for flash activation via the 2nd or 3rd flash 'seen'

Regards, Phil

MarkChap
20-03-2011, 12:21am
Ok, so now I recall some more information, still haven't found the resource yet though.

The problem was with the E-TTL pre flash setting off the units attached to the optical triggers, so you should be ok with any old optical trigger if using the built in flash on the S95

MarkChap
20-03-2011, 12:28am
Here is one link
http://www.photocentric.net/canon_ettl_slave.htm

Some more information to be found here on Syl Arena's blog
http://speedliting.com/gear/wireless-triggers-radio-infrared/

makro
21-03-2011, 9:03pm
thanks for the responses and the links. it has definitely cleared up some of the question I had. Cant wait to get the S95