PDA

View Full Version : Have you heard of this lens???

Roosta
11-03-2011, 1:44am
Canon Zoom Lens EF 35-350 3.5-5.6 L Lens

Looking for any feedback on this lens ?

There's one for sale near me, I'm guessing it's an old lens, Pictures show No IS, only AF-MF switch.
It looks like the predessor to the 100-400 L

Xenedis
11-03-2011, 5:37am
Correct; it's a discontinued model, probably replaced in 2004 or 2005, as it appears n Canon Australia's catalogue from circa 2004.

That lens was essentially replaced by the 28-300/3.5-5.6L IS.

Roosta
11-03-2011, 11:38am
Thanks Xenedis, He mentions in the add that the lens has "The lens has hasn't been used in 6months due to only shooting medium format and not having a 35mm it has grown a spot of fungus on the back element and a patch of fungus on the front element." And "I have had a few quotes on the cleaning of the two elements which range from $200-$300."

Is fungus a big issue? I would have thought so, but I've only limited knowledge, How does glass grow fungus, must have been dark and moist storage?? correct ??

I tried Canon.com to search the lens , but found no info. So thanks again.

ameerat42
11-03-2011, 11:56am
I have lenses with a "spot of fungus" on some elements. I have kept one and given one away to someone who doesn't mind the problem.
Yes, fungus grows on the lens coating particularly in (not necessarily very) moist/dark conditions. (Edited in: ANd usually on the inside surfaces.) I hadn't used mine for about 2 yrs.
You can remove the fungus but the coating is usually affected.
If he's not keeping it, then is he giving it away?
Am.

JM Tran
11-03-2011, 12:05pm
I have used it before for a bit of fun and testing

its an old L lens, its not really wide with the 35mm shortest end, and no IS makes for some pretty hard shooting when the light falls down at anything 200mm and above.

the IQ is ok, better when stopped down to around F8. It was replaced by the 28-300 IS L, which performed a little bit better but aint no crowd pleaser either as its made for PJs and travel work and compromises on IQ with increased range, just like the 35-350 L.

I wouldnt buy it personally, but its a decent walk around lens even though its quite big and the push pull zoom makes it even bigger

Roosta
11-03-2011, 1:00pm
If he's not keeping it, then is he giving it away?
Am.

Thanks for the advice, No he wants $990.00 FIRM as he puts it.

Roosta
11-03-2011, 1:05pm
I have used it before for a bit of fun and testing

its an old L lens, its not really wide with the 35mm shortest end, and no IS makes for some pretty hard shooting when the light falls down at anything 200mm and above.

the IQ is ok, better when stopped down to around F8. It was replaced by the 28-300 IS L, which performed a little bit better but aint no crowd pleaser either as its made for PJs and travel work and compromises on IQ with increased range, just like the 35-350 L.

I wouldnt buy it personally, but its a decent walk around lens even though its quite big and the push pull zoom makes it even bigger

Thanks Mrs Tran, I'm trying to find something to add to my 70-200mm F2.8 L - I want to get closer to the rugby action, tried a 300mm F4 L prime, nice, but I feel a mutli focal lens will be more helpfull. It's for Under 9's and also State Senior Grade, not Super 15's Rugby, so I can walk the side lines. Sometimes the 70-200 is a touch short. any how.

JM Tran
11-03-2011, 1:11pm
Mrs Tran hey? LOL