PDA

View Full Version : Lenses for a Canon 7D

HDee
10-03-2011, 7:34pm
I have searched all the forums and can find numerous debates on which lenses work best and so on, but I thought I would ask this from my own specific needs to see if I get my answer (or perhaps just get more confused!).

My main requirement is a portrait lens - I do mainly individual, couple and family portraits and I am doing my first wedding in December and then one in February so I need a great all rounder lens for people shots and events.

What I HAVE at the moment is:

- Canon 450D
- Lenses: Canon 18-55mm, Canon 55-250mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
- Reflector (5 in 1), Canon 430 EXII Speedlite

What I have researched and was thinking of GETTING is:

- Canon 7D
- Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L (and a uv filter for lens protection)
- Battery grip and two spare batteries (for the weddings)
(All up, I can get this on digital rev for about $3700, including extended warranty)

I have read a lot of forums where people say that they use their 24-70mm for 90% or more of their weddings, and a gentleman I was speaking with at a Camera store says he swears by that lens and has shot a whole wedding using it.

I have also been advised that the 24-100mm f/4L may be suitable for more range and that the f/4 may not be a problem at all if using flash.

I am really confused! I am pretty certain that I am in love with the 24-70mm but I have also read that on a camera that isn't a full frame sensor that it is not particularly suitable.

Does anybody have any suggestions or recommendations for my specific needs?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Holly

p.s. If anybody wants to see my pictures to get a better idea of what I generally shoot, it is photographybyholly.net. I would post some on here but I have limited uploads and it's my in law's internet so I have to be careful with my uploads. hehe!

MarkChap
10-03-2011, 8:02pm
Ok Holly, here goes,

A 24-70 on a crop camera, 7D, is going to have the field of view equivalent to a 38.4-112mm lens on a 35mm sized (full frame if you will) sensor camera, 5D.
Now this is only "not particularly suitable" if you are attempting to do landscapes with that lens, for portraits and weddings I think you would be hard pressed to get a better candidate myself.
Get the 24-70 over the 24-105, the 24-70 will give you one extra stop of shutter speed, which for me would be invaluable.

Good to see that you are not only upgrading your camera but getting some sweet glass to go with it.

HDee
10-03-2011, 8:09pm
Ahh thanks Mark, I love when people tell me the answers that I actually want to hear haha!

I was always going to just get the lens on my exisiting body, but I just thought I need two bodies to do weddings anyways and I have read a lot of great reviews about the 7d, even in comparrison to the 5d (which I can't particularly afford at the moment anyways!).

And I am not particularly interested in landscape photography - I do love beautiful landscape photos, but I am better at photographing people and it is what I love doing :-)

Thanks again for your opinion - greatly appreciated!

MarkChap
10-03-2011, 8:10pm
You will love the 7D, awesome camera

HDee
10-03-2011, 8:15pm
Mark, I just checked out your profile to see what gear you have - would you recommend the Sigma 24-70 or do think I should stick with Canon? I would like quality over price but if they ultimately get the same results it wouldn't hurt to save a few dollars.

MarkChap
10-03-2011, 8:19pm
Well that is a choice only you can make.
I cannot complain about the Sigma, but it is NOT a hand assembled, weather sealed, L series Canon Lens.
It IS as sharp as a tack, the non HSM version I have is possibly a little slower to focus than the Canon, but that is not an issue for me.

I am very much a rebel when it comes to some things Holly, and if truth be known, and freely admitted, I probably bought some of my lenses specifically because they are NOT L series Canon glass.

HDee
10-03-2011, 8:27pm
Well we all have to rebel against something :-P

I think I will stick with Canon mainly for the weather aspect, as wedding weather is unpredictable!

I would consider other lenses that aren't L series, but I haven't found any reviews of lenses that live up to the standard of the L series lenses (yet!).

Bennymiata
11-03-2011, 11:37am
I have the Sigma 24-70 F2.8 on a Pentax, and I used it mainly for product shots.
It is sharp as a tack and has virtually no colour fringing even when shooting black items against a bright, white background, so I can recommend this lens, and I think it is very good value for the dollars.
However, I also have a 24-105L on my Canon, and it is a wonderful lens and it is the one I use 60% of the time.
While it misses out around 1 stop in speed over the 24-70 Canon lens, the IS is very handy for indoors and the extra reach combined with this won me over.
Both the 24-70 and 24-105 produce near the same image quality, according to comparisons I've read, and the 24-105 is lighter and cheaper than the 24-70, and is a more modern design.
I guess you have to ask yourself if the extra speed is REALLY needed, and if you are hand holding it most of the time, the IS will more than make up for the extra half a stop.

While I have a D60, I'm sure you'll absolutely love the 7D.

KeeFy
18-03-2011, 2:48pm
I'd still take the 5D over the 7D for event photography. 7D + 17-55 or a 5D + 24-70. Both similar FOV but... the 24-70 gets a creamier bokeh. Exceptional for wedding photog. The f2.8 is necessary when you go indoors. You could go with a 7D.. but definitely will go full frame if you want to take this wedding gig thing seriously. Buy a 2nd hand 5D if you have to (less than $700 more than a 7D). It's really worth it.

Lenses that match L optics = 17-55 (it is considered a crop L) or something close. Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non-VC (why i mention non VC is because the VC is not really that great).

IS will help with low light situations PROVIDED the object is not moving. In a event photog situation, there is no replacement for fast glass.

That's why i have a recommendation. Leave the 50 1.8 on a spare cam like the 450D. It's relatively light to lug around, but in the event you need some object isolation, it's there and handy.

Just my humble opinion

Arg
20-03-2011, 11:09pm
Hi Holly, I'm not sure what is wrong with your current kit. Are the lenses not of suitable focal range? Sharpness?

I must say I can't stop recommending the Canon 17-55/2.8 IS. Optically beats the 17-40L and 16-35L and has IS to boot. Can do entire weddings with just this lens (preferably with a body attached:D) if you are lead photographer. Shooting weddings from the bleachers you would need a longer lens.

Pine
21-03-2011, 4:24am
I have a selection of lenses which includes the Canon 24-70mm. Although its a great lens my favourite for photographs and landscape is the Canon 15-85.
It is lighter, fast enough and simply a great lens that is tack sharp.

My second favourite is the old original Canon 100 mm 2.8 macro which is simply awsome.

If I had to start over I would only buy these two lenses. They are relatively cheap and simply great.:)

Regards

Max
22-03-2011, 8:45am
agree with Keefy

Wouldn`t the 24-105 with IS be more suited then the 24-70 2.8 as it lacks IS and you generally use it with a flash anyway? Not like you are taking fast action shots, the flexibility of the 24-105 would win out in my opinion.
Then use a fast prime for those shots where you need to isolate the subject. Alternatively for the flash less stuff the 17-55 2.8 would properly more suited to a cropped body than the 24-70 2.8

mitgonk
22-03-2011, 3:11pm
+1 for the 17-55 2.8... on my camera 80% of the time

fabian628
22-03-2011, 5:18pm
Have you considered a 5D 2? This will get you the shallow DoF even with a 2.8 lens. . eg. second hand 5D2 + 24-70 will most likely be less than $3500 if you find a good deal :th3: