PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used PhotoPlus X4 from Serif?

Cullen
08-03-2011, 4:47pm
Hi everyone,

So far these forums have been hugely useful. So thanks to everyone who has replied to my few previous posts!

I was wonderfing if anyone has used the PhotoPlus editing program before? I actually wanted a photoshop elements program, but my kind hearted husband decided to surprise me with a gift and got this program instead.

If you have used this before, how does it compare with Photoshop Elements? And also do you know anywhere online to get more information and tutorials on how to use the program? I've tried playing around with it, but seem to be getting nowhere - and am thoroughly confused!

Thanks!

Adrian Fischer
08-03-2011, 4:56pm
havent used but found this. Seems to do some basic things.
http://www.serif.com/appresources/HPX4/Tutorials/en-gb/photoplus_tutorials.htm#photoplus_tutorials/resources.htm

ricktas
08-03-2011, 4:57pm
try youtube for tutorials, you might find something on there

WhoDo
08-03-2011, 5:18pm
Congratulate your kind hearted husband on a smart choice. :th3: Photoshop Elements doesn't do layers, so eventually your pp would have been limited by its lack of those capabilities. In a quick look at PhotoPlus X4 it does do layers, layer blending, layer modes and all of the things you might want in your pp short of the full Photoshop Pro capabilities. I use GIMP, which also does those things and is free BUT only supports 8-bit colour, so I think you are way better off. The link provided by Adrian above goes to some terrific step-by-step and video tutorials too, so you should be well on your way! Congratulations on marrying such a clever guy! :p

kiwi
08-03-2011, 5:51pm
Actually elements 9 does have Layers and layer masks....I'd get hubby to swap over so you ge into the Photoshop mainstream

Sutto
08-03-2011, 6:17pm
I don't know the difference between the 2 but I'm with kiwi on this..... Elements 9 does layers.

I've been using PS Elements for the past 2 weeks and love being able to tweek and tidy up my pictures.

Speedway
08-03-2011, 7:15pm
Even Elements 5 has layers. I haven't used PhotoPlus but it looks similar to Elements. I have used other Serif software and it usually has been fairly good.
Keith.
PS I agree with Kiwi if possible.

WhoDo
08-03-2011, 8:03pm
Actually elements 9 does have Layers and layer masks....I'd get hubby to swap over so you ge into the Photoshop mainstream
Just checked and that feature is new in Elements 9 according to Adobe's own product comparison chart. I stand corrected.:o

WhoDo
08-03-2011, 8:05pm
Even Elements 5 has layers.
Evidently layer masks are new in Elements 9 though Keith. I just checked it on the Adobe website after kiwi posted.

Speedway
08-03-2011, 10:19pm
Photoshop Elements doesn't do layers.
What's this then. :D
Keith.

WhoDo
09-03-2011, 8:07am
It's layers, but I can't see the layer "masks" option there, Keith. That said, I definitely got confused between Lightroom and PSE so it was my bad. Sorry. :o