PDA

View Full Version : Honest opinion

Danielle10
07-03-2011, 9:11pm
I am looking to upgrade my camera from a sony to a canon.
Ive been looking at the 60 D and 600 D mainly coz i like the flippy screen. What would you recommend?

pmack
07-03-2011, 9:25pm
Don't know much about the 600D, and they seem simillar.
The 60D is only marginally more expensive, and has a top lcd panel, has a nice rotating wheel on the back for viewing images, and has better build quality. I personally would definetly go the 60D.
The 600D is also probably too small for most people, but might be ok for you.

rwg717
07-03-2011, 9:35pm
Think I would agree with the above and go for the 60D, the extra features you will get are very worthwhile considering the price difference between the two. This is especially so if you have had a bit of experience with DSLR's and you also need to remember that camera bodys come and go pretty frequently, so your lenses are the core of your kit line-up. That's why I wouldn't bother with Canon's "kit" lenses (and Nikon's in their case), sink a few extra dollars into good glass, looked after properly they will cover you for 3 or 4 camera models.:D
Richard

Riverlander
07-03-2011, 10:27pm
mainly coz i like the flippy screen.

What is it that makes the "flippy screen" such an attraction? I had one previously and do not miss it at all.

mrDooba
07-03-2011, 10:54pm
Why do you want to upgrade?

I'm not into flippy screeens but I'd go for the 60D. More leg room so to speak. You might grow out of the 600D and although I love buying toys:D I like to go for the best I can afford instead of buying "lesser" models and spending my way to the betters one in the end.

arthurking83
07-03-2011, 11:18pm
I'm curious as to how the flipy screen gives you an advantage.

Clearly it can offer an advantage in some situations, but those situations are very limited.

Features such as flippy screens come and go(with the tide of consumerism)... one day they're flippy(say on a current Canon) and the next day they are totally remote(like on a Sony!)

Did you know that Sony makes a remote screen, larger than any native on camera screen, which makes for an even more ideal solution to a flippy screen. Yeah, it coudl be a pain in the arm to carry it to various shoots and locations, but it is mountable onto the flash hotshoe. Have no idea on price, as it seems to be a very new accessory that Sony now markets.

Do a google on the Sony CLM-V55. It's a 5"(that's a lot larger than a piddly 3" camera screen) hi def screen that looks to be far more 'practical'(depending on cabling and so forth) than a camera mounted screen for use in most of the situations where a flippable screen would be of benefit. The larger size gives you more detail(or easier to see detail) and so on,.
Seems to cost about US$400 at the moment, which seems to be a lot cheaper than changing camera systems as you then need to acquire new lenses to suit.

just another option to consider.

CAP
08-03-2011, 7:56am
Sony A200 with 18-55mm kit lens only????
Or do you have other lenses as well?

If your heart is set on getting either the 600D or 60D go into a shop and have a play with both of them to see which best suits your needs and taste.
Don't know much about the "flippy screen" but sounds like nothing more than a gimmick to me and would have very limited benefit.

ameerat42
08-03-2011, 8:39am
If your heart is set on getting either the 600D or 60D go into a shop and have a play with both of them to see which best suits your needs and taste.

Meanwhile, go HERE (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/) and have a bit of a read on both, though the 600D has only had a "Preview"

And to all the "Flippy Screen" denigrators: so what? I have not found it to have been a disadvantage.
Am.

Danielle10
08-03-2011, 11:14am
The 600D is also probably too small for most people, but might be ok for you.
I thought would be good for me as Im only a littly myself

What is it that makes the "flippy screen" such an attraction? I had one previously and do not miss it at all.

I like that its good way of protecting the screen if its turned in and also like that I could get the camera in a different position ie down low or for shooting above things

Why do you want to upgrade?

I feel that the Sony is not as good as a canon - image quality, cost of accessories are more expensive with sony.

Sony A200 with 18-55mm kit lens only????
Or do you have other lenses as well?

I have 18-70mm, 75-300 and a nifty fifty. Love my 50 mm

I think i should just stay with my sony as I have already some lenses. My birthday is on thursday and hubby was going to buy me a macro lens but I thought maybe hold off until ii get a better camera body... grrrr, i dont know

macrocephalic
08-03-2011, 12:19pm
I can definitely see the advantage from of a flip screen. If you're shooting at ground level (which I think can give an interesting perspective) then it's very hard to see a fixed screen, and impossible to see through the OVF. That being said, the 600D is just the 550D with a flippy screen, I'm not sure I'd pay the extra money for it. You're probably better getting the 60D.

alternatively you could stick with what you know and get another Sony - there are a lot of Minolta manual lenses around for not much more than pocket change to experiment with.

rob502
08-03-2011, 12:20pm
I agree with you on the flippy screen. At times I do wish that I have this functionality. I like to take down low shots and just hate it getting into awkward position at times.
I do own a Sony A700, happy with it. But you do feel like a black sheep at times since most user out there are Canon or Nikon user. The only thing I dread about Sony is the noise level, I believe they handle that much poorer than the two big brands.

Roosta
08-03-2011, 12:35pm
My first DSLR was and still is the Olympus E-330, it was the first camera to feature live view and have a fold out screen, I did find it handy once and a while, but since up-dateing to my 50D, I don't miss it at all. The above comment regarding holding and feeling is probally the best yet, go and put both in your hands, find the dials and buttons, do they feel right, work with ease with your grip? and so on. The 600D is brand new to the market, and the 60D is now tried and true. You would get some good deals for the 60D.

Nothing wrong with having two cameras, I still use my Oly for odd things, where I find it works well with the lens I have for it. Quite a few AP Regs have two differenet makes of cameras.

Have fun, and have a great birthday.

Bennymiata
08-03-2011, 12:40pm
I couldn't live without my flippy screen!!
It has a number of advantages especially when shooting on a tripod or unusual angles, or even just to protect the screen when you have the camera in a bag or in dirty or dusty environments.
If you haven't seen the resolution on the 60D's screen, go and have a look at one.
They are fantastic and far superior to any others that I've seen or played with.
You can really see what the photo will come out like, and is a godsend for video too as you can accurately see what the exposure and focus really is.
Doing slideshopws on this screen is also very good and can really capture the imagination of your friends as you show them your photos and videos without having a poor, grainy image showing up.
Having said that, the 600D has the same screen, but as it is such a new camera, the prices are really too high for what it offers, although this will change in another 6 months or so, when the prices will come down to near what the 550D's price is now.
This makes the 60D very good value.
The 60D has some definite advantages over the 600D. For me, the clincher is the slightly bigger size making it more comfortable to hold, and the LCD top plate is very handy for making adjustments on the fly, and the controls are easier to use and make more sense to me.

I know what you mean about the expense of accessories too.
I moved from a Pentax, which was a very good camera, but the availability of accessories and their cost put me off.
At least with Nikon and Canon, there are just so many aftermarket accessories that will work fine, and this reduces the cost of lots of things.

If you do get a 60D, or the 600D, get yourself one of the Canon flashes too.
I have the 580EXII, and they work together so well. Funnily enough, I find that for most places where I'm using the flash, just set everything to auto and the pictures come out very nice indeed.
The 60D also has wireless flash control, and if you have a Canon flash, it's amazing what you can do with the flash on the top of the camera and one of the other flashes held in your hand, all without any wires getting in the way.

Good luck.

xkellie
08-03-2011, 5:04pm
i'd go the 60D.
i recently upgraded from a sony a350 to a canon 7d and it was so worth it! that said, i spent about $2000+ on glass, so that might have helped as well. ;) the one thing i miss about the a350 - the flippy screen!! i loved it for low shots or high shots, using live view i could see what was in the frame, but now i just have to guess (and am usually way off).

Speedway
08-03-2011, 6:35pm
Go with what feels best in your hands. A friend tried my 7D recently and hated the feel of it after her 450D (she has small hands). The flippy screen doesn't interest me at all as, 1. I feel they would be vulnerable to damage and 2. I don't like live view anyway as I find it awkward with glasses.
Keith.

mrDooba
08-03-2011, 7:38pm
I feel that the Sony is not as good as a canon - image quality, cost of accessories are more expensive with sony.

Premium Canon lenses certainly are relatively cheap especially the super teles. mmmmmm love my big lenses. They're my babies :D

I say join the big C family. You know you want to hehe :)

Rosh
08-03-2011, 8:29pm
Hi Danielle
I have upgraded from a 400d to the 60d. I dont miss the 400 at all. I love the swivel screen great for taking shots from all angles without having to be a contorsionist. Great also for self portraits or taking pics with you in the picture. My advice buy one and you will be happy.

fabian628
08-03-2011, 10:47pm
Honestly, need to know what your shooting intrests are! If you want to spend a fair amount of time shooting some sports or wildlife etc, then i would reccomend the faster frame rate of the 60D.
The 600D has advanatage of being entry level, cheaper less complex, less features, but since you have already hacd some experience, i would say 60D if you have the $$.

regarding the flippy screen proecting thr LCD. I think if you hit the LCD so hard that is broke the glass, you would probably have damaged the screen in the revered postition. Personally I wouldnt be using it for the protection as the LCD covers on the camera already is quite tough. The flippy screen, imo makes the camera a little weaker as you are discontinuing the solid camera structure.

Ronnysimulacrum
08-03-2011, 11:05pm
The 60d feel plastic and is a drop in build quality from the 40D, 50D, but better than the 600d, go the 7D i feel

Kylamie
10-03-2011, 9:06am
Im a happy 60D owner! I have a few canon cameras and actually am favouring it.
I guess the only thing to do is to go and have a play around with a few cameras and see which one you like and which one feels right and will be right for your needs :)

Analog6
10-03-2011, 9:42am
And have you considered a second hand body, purchased from a forum like this one? After my first DSLR (and it would have been used too had I realised how available they were) all my bodies - including my Hasselblad and the digital back - and most of my lenses have been purchased used. Gives a LOT more 'bang for your buck' and buying from forum members usually means the gear has been looked after, it is only for sale as someone has upgraded.

Danielle10
10-03-2011, 10:27pm
No I didn't think of that.

I know it was said in jest, but trading of any sort is not allowed on AP

carrg1954
12-03-2011, 9:04am
Hi
Go for the 60d if you can cover the $$. I think you would be happier "longer" than the 600d.

Ms Monny
12-03-2011, 10:15am
I too am a proud owner of a 60D. I love my flippy screen as it helps with low shooting and also it protects the screen when not in use. The other good parts are that the buttons and wheel at the back are easy to get to with female hands and the settings are easy to get use to when you need to set things up quickly. I love it!! :D

Glad to know there is a part on here that people can sell their gear on....looking at lenses now!!

colinbm
13-03-2011, 2:32am
Hi Danie
What are you getting.
I am thinking seriously at a Sigma SD15.
A bit dear, a bit plain, has no Auto :-(
So I will be in the deep end for a while & learning fast what to do.
Raw & all that too.
I like it because it can do infrared at the flick of the hot mirror & back again.
The image quality is good, um better then the others.
Not so noisy in resonable low light.
Looking at the Sigma 18-250 lens too.
Col
Col

ameerat42
13-03-2011, 2:32pm
Hi Col.
Couldn't help noting your serious thinking. I was too until I read a bout the "so far only announced" SD1. And now...
Am.

colinbm
13-03-2011, 7:40pm
Yes Am, the SD1 is a long way off I am told ?
I don't mind the sub 5mp X3 sensor as it doesn't have to interpolate to get 15 mp, like the others.
The others really have to use 4 pixels to get one photo site.
Cheers
Col

I @ M
13-03-2011, 8:07pm
I am looking to upgrade my camera from a sony to a canon.
Ive been looking at the 60 D and 600 D mainly coz i like the flippy screen. What would you recommend?

That all sounds like a very much sideways step than an upgrade. Consider everything very carefully, particularly lens availability, quality and price.

Hi Danie
What are you getting.
I am thinking seriously at a Sigma SD15.
A bit dear, a bit plain, has no Auto :-(
So I will be in the deep end for a while & learning fast what to do.
Raw & all that too.
I like it because it can do infrared at the flick of the hot mirror & back again.
The image quality is good, um better then the others.
Not so noisy in resonable low light.
Looking at the Sigma 18-250 lens too.
Col
Col

That is probably one of the last bodies that most people would even think about looking at Col, locked into one brand of lens, fairly expensive for what amounts to 3 year old technology and has barely even been reviewed by any mainstream sites / companies.
:confused013

Hi Col.
Couldn't help noting your serious thinking. I was too until I read a bout the "so far only announced" SD1. And now...
Am.

Expect the SD1 to be available in the next year or two and be expensive and still really only on par with currently available products. :(

colinbm
13-03-2011, 8:53pm
Thanks Andrew
Yes you are correct about the disadvantages of locked into one brand.
I am looking at image quality & it is better. Sharper, crisper & great colour.
I would have to pay more for another camera to beat this quality.
The Foveon sensor is a stand alone & heads & shoulders above the rest.
Col

ameerat42
13-03-2011, 9:16pm
Col, "ditto-h".
(Ghost.)